looking to go wireless, HELP! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
i need a hairdryer!!!!

looking to go wireless, HELP!

Ok. i'm computer stupid when it comes to some of the terms, and doing some of it. But i can usually figure it out if pushed in the right direction.
My girl wants a wireless connection for her laptop and i need to know what i'm gonna need? What are some of the things i'm gonna want to purchase to help protect her connection from being used by others. What should i expect to pay for a decent wireless set up. She has comcast cable internet connection!
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Time Served

You'll need a wireless router, i paid $100 for my lynksys (sp?) one. The only thing is that I got a letter from Comcast saying that I was using more than one IP adress and they want to charge me more . Other than that it is really easy to set up, just pop in the cd that comes with it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
i need a hairdryer!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by G.G.
You'll need a wireless router, i paid $100 for my lynksys (sp?) one. The only thing is that I got a letter from Comcast saying that I was using more than one IP adress and they want to charge me more . Other than that it is really easy to set up, just pop in the cd that comes with it.
why more then one IP address, did someone hack into it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
i need a hairdryer!!!!

the lap top i'm on says it has a IEEE 802.1x this isn't the C or G i hear everyone talking about??? does it matter?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thehead
the lap top i'm on says it has a IEEE 802.1x this isn't the C or G i hear everyone talking about??? does it matter?
IEEE is what is called FireWire, you might want to check the specs of the laptop.. if it has firewire it just might have a wireless adapter already. Then all you will need is a WAP (wireless access point).

I just bought the Microsoft Wireless G kit... im not a big microsoft fan but this was the cheapest there was to buy. Im sure more expensive is better.. but I do not plan on using it much.

As for securing it.. just RTFM, go over the security portion of the manual as many times as it takes to understand how to make it work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 06:31 PM
None

Ok, several things are wrong here:

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
IEEE is what is called FireWire,
No, IEEE stands for Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers which is tasked with maintaining standards.

FireWire is IEEE 1384 which is a high speed serial standard akin/comparable on the level of USB, not networking.

Second,

IEEE 802.11 is the working group for Wireless LAN's.

There are some different specs within the group:

802.11 -- Freq hopping with 1-2 Mbps transmission in the 2.4 GHz band

802.11a -- 54 Mbps in the 5GHz band.

802.11b (Most commonly referred to as Wi-Fi) 11 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz band. Comparable to Ethernet, this is what most people are using.

802.11g -- 20+ Mbps @ 2.4 GHz band.

Third,

IEEE 802.1x is a security standard for port-based network access control which allows you to connect to networks over the 802.11b standard.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
Ok, several things are wrong here:

No, IEEE stands for Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers which is tasked with maintaining standards.

FireWire is IEEE 1384 which is a high speed serial standard akin/comparable on the level of USB, not networking.

Second,

IEEE 802.11 is the working group for Wireless LAN's.

There are some different specs within the group:

802.11 -- Freq hopping with 1-2 Mbps transmission in the 2.4 GHz band

802.11a -- 54 Mbps in the 5GHz band.

802.11b (Most commonly referred to as Wi-Fi) 11 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz band. Comparable to Ethernet, this is what most people are using.

802.11g -- 20+ Mbps @ 2.4 GHz band.

Third,

IEEE 802.1x is a security standard for port-based network access control which allows you to connect to networks over the 802.11b standard.
Thanks for the corrections!! my appologies to the poster for incorrect information
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by G.G.
I got the same letter from Comcast this past weekend but if I remember correctly it said that if you are using a router to ignore the message. I'll have to look at it again tonight.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose
I got the same letter from Comcast this past weekend but if I remember correctly it said that if you are using a router to ignore the message. I'll have to look at it again tonight.
I'll have to read it again then, i just kind of skimmed through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement