question on dvd media - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

question on dvd media

what is everyone experience with brands? good and bad
i ordered RIDATA 50 pack dvd+rw's and i've probably burned10 copies and 2 of them that i have watched all the way thru have either frozen up or started to skip...
im thinking about ordering these since it seems like a good deal
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...131-002&depa=1

shm short block, vortech s trim, 3.55's, AFM power pipe,etc..
S/c cobra (me) vs N20 cobra race 2

S/c Cobra vs N2O Cobra Race 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:13 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Ritek is usually pretty good media. What speed are you burning at, 4x? You can try burning at a slower speed like 2x. I have had luck in the past with slowing down the burn process. I personally use TDK and Prodisc.

Check here for who has the best media quality. You want to use media that has the metal azo dye recording layer. It will provvide the best recording quality and archival stability.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 05-17-2004 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

im using a hp external dvd300e burner at 2.4X speed... and using ridata (ritek owns them right) dvd+rw 2.4x

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:25 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Crap, thats right, you said +rw, that would be 2.4x. I should have thought before I typed.

Yes, Ritek, Ridata, samething.

You can try to slow down to 1x, although you really shouldn't have to in theory but it does work on occasion.

What is your process for ripping, encoding, and burning?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

some i have done : dvd shrink to nero..
others i have done : dvd shrink to hard drive to nero

would that make a difference

i also have some other programs like dvd shink (such as tmpgnc dvd author)

i went to the link you sent me... with model numbers but i can't match up the model numbers from what i ordered with the ones on the web link..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:43 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Yeah, I think the only way to find out who makes the media is to actually buy some and get a program called DVD Info Pro. It will give you all the manufacturing info about the disc. Or what you can do is go to http://www.videohelp.com/ and post in their forums and see if anyone has any info on that type of media.

The process you use can make a difference. It takes a little longer but try using DVD Decrypter to rip it first, then open the files in Shrink to encode and save to the harddrive, then open in Nero and burn at 1x.

Another thing that might be the problem is that your standalone DVD player, if it is an older model, may not support +rw media.

Last edited by MoonDog; 05-17-2004 at 12:45 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
Yeah, I think the only way to find out who makes the media is to actually buy some and get a program called DVD Info Pro. It will give you all the manufacturing info about the disc.

The process you use can make a difference. It takes a little longer but try using DVD Decrypter to rip it first, then open the files in Shrink to encode and save to the harddrive, then open in Nero and burn at 1x.

Another thing that might be the problem is that your standalone DVD player, if it is an older model, may not support +rw media.
ic
i do not have dvd decrypter but i have smart ripper... what exactly does DVD Decrypeter do? (where can i get it... should i just use kazaa lite)
and do you think it matters to do a "deep anaylize" (in the dvd shrink)
im watching last samurai on my xbox which is progressive scan and it keeps freezing every 5 minutes, it freezes then finally starts playing again... (two other friends have same problem one on an older rca and the othre a sony dvd player)...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Schargedcobra97
ic
i do not have dvd decrypter but i have smart ripper... what exactly does DVD Decrypeter do? (where can i get it... should i just use kazaa lite)
and do you think it matters to do a "deep anaylize" (in the dvd shrink)
im watching last samurai on my xbox which is progressive scan and it keeps freezing every 5 minutes, it freezes then finally starts playing again... (two other friends have same problem one on an older rca and the othre a sony dvd player)...
DVD Decrypter is freeware, you can get it here http://www.dvddecrypter.com/download.asp

I assume it is similar to Smart Ripper but I am not sure since I dont use it. What DVD Decrypter does is bypass the encryption and rip the DVD to the harddrive, anoung other things but this is what you would use it for. You can try using Smart Ripper since you already have it.

Deep analysis is supposed to help in giving better video quality during the encoding process. You can try it on and off and see if there is any difference. I usually have it on.

So you are using an x-box to watch the DVDs? I am not sure what types of media they are compatible with. Maybe someone else knows. Have you just tried +rw? Try something else, +r, -r...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
DVD Decrypter is freeware, you can get it here http://www.dvddecrypter.com/download.asp

I assume it is similar to Smart Ripper but I am not sure since I dont use it. What DVD Decrypter does is bypass the encryption and rip the DVD to the harddrive, anoung other things but this is what you would use it for. You can try using Smart Ripper since you already have it.

Deep analysis is supposed to help in giving better video quality during the encoding process. You can try it on and off and see if there is any difference. I usually have it on.

So you are using an x-box to watch the DVDs? I am not sure what types of media they are compatible with. Maybe someone else knows. Have you just tried +rw? Try something else, +r, -r...
thanks... ill do dvd decrypter to hard drive to dvd shrink to nero and see if that works...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

well im still using the dvd+rw (ritek) i burned two more using
dvd decryer to hard drive to dvd shrink to nero and they both kept freezing when i played them
so i tried dvd shrink to nero and it is playing just fine...
damnitt why why why lol
this is adding extra time cuz it has to "encode" everytime

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Stay away from the brand imation. About 1/4 of my movies that Ive tried to burn turned out to be trash.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Schargedcobra97
well im still using the dvd+rw (ritek) i burned two more using
dvd decryer to hard drive to dvd shrink to nero and they both kept freezing when i played them
so i tried dvd shrink to nero and it is playing just fine...
damnitt why why why lol
this is adding extra time cuz it has to "encode" everytime
Sometimes you just have to find a process that works and stick with it. What I would do if I was you is go to Frys or Microcenter and buy a couple of +r and -r (assuming you have a dual burner) TDK, Memorex, or any other name brand and try those also. I personally dont use +/-rw for burning movies, I use it strictly for data. My players have a hard time recognizing them so I stick with +/-r.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

i can't change the write speed... the nero automatically selects 2.4x for my external burner... ( i can't go lower to like 1x) ... though the dvd +rw is 2.4x compatible and so is the dvd burner
oh well i just think its the media... but tooo many have been bad i'd say about 5 out of 12 so far

Sponsored Links
Advertisement