First post with the new box... and I've got a question... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

First post with the new box... and I've got a question...

Ok, I've had 3 modems since 56k became a standard. All 3 of them have been 56k. I've built numerous computers for friends and family, with 56k modems.

With EACH of them, I've never been able to connect higher than 28.8 reliably. Would do 31.2 sometimes, but would often drop the connection soon after. This is with multiple computers, with multiple modems, and multiple OS's.

Now, on the new box ... I'm connecting reliably at 44.0 ... which is normal for 56k. I've NEVER been able to connect at this speed from my phonelines... but now all of the sudden I can.

WTF?

And thinking maybe the phone company made some changes recently to the lines out here ... without me noticing, of course ... I have my laptop sitting next to me, so I dial in with that. 28.8 still.

What gives? Why ... after all this time of NOT being able to connect at normal 56k speeds ... can I now?

And to further add to the head scratching... I can take my laptop to my Aunt & Uncle's, and dial in from their home ... connects at normal 56k speeds. Hell, even at my grandparents, who live right in the middle of nowhere ... I can connect at 44 - 48k with my laptop. But I bring it home, make no changes ... and it goes back to only connecting at 28.8.

WTF?!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Oh, and it's definitely connecting at 44k, because there's a noticable increase in the download speeds of various sites I frequent.

DarkWolf
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:22 AM

Changes of DL speed of the SAME computer in DIFFERENT locations is normal.
Changes of DL speed between two computers at the SAME location is prolly due to different modems and MODEM SETTINGS.
Is the handshake shorter with the new computer?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Nope, I mean I haven't taken a stopwatch to it, but it sounds about the same length.

I've used US Robotics, Actiontec, and Phoebe modems, of varying model's for each of the computers. One computer went from a Phoebe 56k, to a US Robotics 56k after a format/reinstall.

All modems have been installed with just the default factory settings.

The new box is using a US Robotics winmodem. XP didn't pick it up automatically like I was expecting (being a winmodem), so I downloaded and installed the drivers.

My laptop uses the Actiontec modem, XP doesn't pick it up either, so I have to install the drivers for it.

Both are factory default installations from the manufacturers, no extra settings, no init strings added ... just the basic installation as intended by the manufacturer via their drivers. Two different speeds, same phoneline.

Again, it's not just between the new box, and my laptop... it's between the new box, my laptop, the computer downstairs, my parents computer, my aunt & uncles computer, my grandparents computer, and a number of computers for friends that I've either built, or worked on. All while here, only connect at 28.8 ... except the new box.

Granted, I can see the difference in modem settings causing it... but why would all the other modems, including some US Robotics ones, after being installed with the manufacture's drivers only connect at 28.8. It doesn't make any sense.

DarkWolf
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 05:38 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Differnet handshake protocol, some modems connect better than other modems, it really depends on your isp.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Differnet handshake protocol, some modems connect better than other modems, it really depends on your isp.
Right ... but same modem, same isp, different connection speeds based on different locations. The laptop, for example.

I just thought of something earlier today though, that might be the answer. Before the new box, I had a surge protector that had telephone jacks on it for phoneline protection. With the new box, I got a UPS, and it doesn't have the phone jacks on it, so the line is going directly into the computer.

I haven't tested it with the laptop yet, to see if that might be it, but that's the only thing that has changed connection wise.

The UPS just paid for itself. With the storm going on, power just blipped out for a second, but computer stayed on I need to get it checked though, because when I have both the computer and monitor plugged into it, after a short time, it gives a constant beep like there's no power going to it. I'm thinking the monitor is either pulling too much juice, or it's not giving enough juice to power both computer and monitor, even when plugged into the wall.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement