Bluetooth for PC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Bluetooth for PC

I have a homemade XP PC at home and I'm getting a Cell Phone with Bluetooth wireless connectivity built in. What do I need to add to my Home PC so that they can talk? I need a card (device) that supports SPP. What would you suggest? Thanks,
E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Bite Me!!!

fry's had some usb blue tooth adapters... just plug in the little adapter to your usb port and you got bluetooth on your pc... I think they where around 40-50 bucks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by I Stang U
fry's had some usb blue tooth adapters... just plug in the little adapter to your usb port and you got bluetooth on your pc... I think they where around 40-50 bucks.
I was thinking about USB. I've just had problems with data throughput and connection stability with other USB devices. Still, maybe this is the best option. Certainly setup would be easiest. Thanks,
E

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Rolling with the homies

I've got a USB Blutetooth Adapter that I use for my laptop that works great. Why would you want one for your desktop? Why not just use dialup? I use it on my desktop to update my contacts for Outlook but that's about it. Oh, and to transfer images back and forth. By the way this is with an Ericsson T610 phone.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bitter jose
I've got a USB Blutetooth Adapter that I use for my laptop that works great. Why would you want one for your desktop? Why not just use dialup?
I hadn't really thought of dialup. Still, that would use air-time and allocated data-transfer right? Bluetooth (aside from the hardware) is free. Or do I have it wrong?
Thanks,
E
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Floored...

Quote:
I've got a USB Blutetooth Adapter that I use for my laptop that works great. Why would you want one for your desktop? Why not just use dialup? I use it on my desktop to update my contacts for Outlook but that's about it. Oh, and to transfer images back and forth. By the way this is with an Ericsson T610 phone.
Explain the dialup, because Im not quite understanding how you mean to use dialup to connect to your cell phone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Bite Me!!!

I would only use bluetooth for keyboard mouse... do you realize how slow the wireless internet is.... on cell phones anyway..

and either way it is going to use air time...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by Elapidae
I hadn't really thought of dialup. Still, that would use air-time and allocated data-transfer right? Bluetooth (aside from the hardware) is free. Or do I have it wrong?
Thanks,
E
Bluetooth is a close range wireless standard used for connecting different devices similar to a 900 Mhz "wireless" headphones or a similar cordless phone. Having Bluetooth will not connect you to the internet on it's on with a cell phone.

http://www.bluetooth.com/

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
Explain the dialup, because Im not quite understanding how you mean to use dialup to connect to your cell phone.
I use my cell phone as a modem (and it does use my minutes) and I connect my laptop to my cell phone wirelessly with a Bluetooth adapter. Other wise I could use IR but that's a hassle keeping it lined up or I could use a cable. But the Bluetooth is pimp and impress's the bitches

Quote:
I would only use bluetooth for keyboard mouse... do you realize how slow the wireless internet is.... on cell phones anyway..

True dat, for home I'd rather struggle along with dial up rather than using a cell phone for connectivitiy. Although my Sidekick pulls up pages faster than my dial up at home but I only connect around 24K when I'm forced to use dial up at home. Damn shitty phone lines

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:

My Verizon phone has a slow but a tolerable slow connection. It's loads faster than the last dialup account I had though. I use it anytime I'm out of town but only after 9pm, no extra charges yet.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Bluetooth is a close range wireless standard used for connecting different devices similar to a 900 Mhz "wireless" headphones or a similar cordless phone. Having Bluetooth will not connect you to the internet on it's on with a cell phone.
Not that anybody cares, but it's slightly higher than 900MHz.
"The Bluetooth radio accomplishes spectrum spreading by frequency hopping in 79 hops displaced by 1 MHz, starting at 2.402GHz and finishing at 2.480GHz."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Banned

I use my S/E t-608 with sprint with bt, I use a d-link dbt-120 works well enough for me. keep the phone some where close and wala wireless Internet where ever I'm at, when not at home.
Speed is not all that bad. they don't say any thing as long as you ant doing any large down loads. Took me a bit to master BT just one more learning curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement