Web design 101 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Web design 101

I'm wanting to put together a website(after I register a domain name) but have a few questions since I've never done one. First off, Is there any advantage to hosting on my own computer versus someone like godaddy? Is there more to it than just building a site in Frontpage? I don't expect a lot of traffic, just a few hits here and there and only need like 3 pages max. I've been reading the hosting plans on godaddy and it seems like a good deal to use their templates. What about security stuff...I've read on here somewhere that someone did something so that nobody can steal the domain name or track them or something....That's prolly not too helpful. I've also heard cases where a hosting provider forgot to renew the domain name and they lost the name. Is that possible. Also, If I do sign up with godaddy and build a site and decide I want to host it myself or switch to someone else, do I lose my web pages? I just want a basic site that I don't have to worry about people messing with(other that visiting). BTW, no e-commerce or anything...yet.

Hopefully these aren't dumb questions. I do help desk but have no experience or technical knowledge in web design. I don't need to become an expert just want to know what to watch out for.

I'm slowly getting out of the IT industry, hence the no desire to become an expert. TIA for any help.

George

Last edited by George G.; 03-15-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Re: Web design 101

Quote:
Originally posted by George G.
, If I do sign up with godaddy and build a site and decide I want to host it myself or switch to someone else, do I lose my web pages? I just want a basic site that I don't have to worry about people messing with(other that visiting). BTW, no e-commerce or anything...yet.
no, you can save the html files and then transfer them to the different host. As for hosting yourself, I think i would be a good idea intill you start to hit it off big.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:00 PM
3rd shift sloucher

i use to use server beach pay about 110 a month and have i think 80 gigs and hosted quite a few webpages and had no problems, if you want to do the do it ur self hosting that is the way to go

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 AM
El Camino

Read up on security and make sure you have some idea what you are getting into on hosting a site on your own pc. If are looking at running it off a home broadband connection it might be tolerable but might not be a pleasant experience for visitors. There are plenty of cheap hosting companies out there. I'd also stay away from frontpage. I've never been a fan of it and its always been prone to security issues.

Also if you do not know what you are doing and open your home pc up to the internet you are asking for trouble.

There are lots of people on this board that know a good bit about this kind of stuff. It would be worth it to listen to them. I myself am planning to take the CISSP exam again soon and once I pass it I already have three vendors I've worked with that provide security consulting services to financial institutions that have asked me to come work for them.

You might also check into these sites that offer free or relatively cheap site templates ranging from 10-50 bucks.

Good luck with your new site and make sure you are the one who registers it and use an email address you will have no trouble keeping.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 07:47 AM

Thumbs up

pay to have it hosted.. unless you just want teh expeirence.

ditch the front page junk.. use dreamweaver or notepad
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
pay to have it hosted.. unless you just want teh expeirence.

ditch the front page junk.. use dreamweaver or notepad

God, we have to use Dreamweaver and Macs at school.

I <3 crashes.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement