I tried to back up my games(PC) - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
I tried to back up my games(PC)

Using alcohol 120%, but it wont make copies of my discs. I don't like using my original discs at all. I usually use no CD patches, but those won't work when I play online. If it does copy, I burn the image, and when I open up the drive in My Computer, It's empty. When I look at the cd, you can see the line to where the disc was burned. I've ended up with 3 coasters so far. Any ideas?
Osiris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:47 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Thumbs up

get an old drive cd burner... I read an article somewhere back when i used to do this.. that some drives with updated firmware would not burn cd's with safedisc... however the same drive with an older firmware would burn a cd with safedisc just fine.

So i would look for an old LG 2x or 4x burner that supports RAW mode... then scour the net for the oldest firmware version that you can flash it with.
trey85stang is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
get an old drive cd burner... I read an article somewhere back when i used to do this.. that some drives with updated firmware would not burn cd's with safedisc... however the same drive with an older firmware would burn a cd with safedisc just fine.

So i would look for an old LG 2x or 4x burner that supports RAW mode... then scour the net for the oldest firmware version that you can flash it with.

Damn... I thought there would be a way to do it with what I have now. Oh well. Make it 4 coasters.

Last edited by Silver; 03-09-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Osiris is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Do images work? Rip them to images and use alcohols virtual drives. Are you copying them with the right protection settings?
Sami is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:07 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Thumbs up

also.. check out

www.gamecopyworld.com

somewhere on that site or one of the sites mentioned is where i read about the old cd drives... of course this was probably 2-3 years ago... its worth checking out for sure.


careful if your at work.. it has some porn popups....
trey85stang is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
No. I"m at home, thanks for the warning.

Sami, I can rip the images just fine, the problem I encounter is when I try to burn the image to a disc.

Also, what protection settings do I look at?

<----- Novice with this type of software

Last edited by Silver; 03-09-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Osiris is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
I get what security you were tlaking about Sami, but when I enter the correct security program, for example, C&C Generals: Zero Hour, it says SafeDisc v 2.9
I enter the option in Alcohol to show SafeDisc2.

The discs I recorded are still not reading anything after the burm. I rip the games also the same way
Osiris is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
I get what security you were tlaking about Sami, but when I enter the correct security program, for example, C&C Generals: Zero Hour, it says SafeDisc v 2.9
I enter the option in Alcohol to show SafeDisc2.

The discs I recorded are still not reading anything after the burm. I rip the games also the same way
Do the images work if you map them to virtual drives?
Sami is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:18 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
Guess I'd better keep around my old yamaha 4416 scsi burner and my plextor 12x scsi burner. I usually dont have any trouble doing disc to disc copies with them.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
Do the images work if you map them to virtual drives?

Can you explain to me how to do that?
Osiris is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
Can you explain to me how to do that?
In alcohol:

File -> Options... -> Virtual Drive -> select 1-n drives

They should now show up in Alcohol (and Explorer) as virtual drives. Mount the image:

Right click on virtual drive icon -> Mount Image... -> select the image file you created

This should now show up as a CD with the game you backed up.
Sami is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
In alcohol:

File -> Options... -> Virtual Drive -> select 1-n drives

They should now show up in Alcohol (and Explorer) as virtual drives. Mount the image:

Right click on virtual drive icon -> Mount Image... -> select the image file you created

This should now show up as a CD with the game you backed up.
Sweetness!! Now, what do I need to do to burn that?
Osiris is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
Sweetness!! Now, what do I need to do to burn that?
If it doesn't burn then I don't know what to say without being on the computer. But if you can see the CD as a virtual drive, you can use it just like a CD. Faster too. I haven't backed up my games on a CD for quite some time, I just use the images on my HD.
Sami is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
If it doesn't burn then I don't know what to say without being on the computer. But if you can see the CD as a virtual drive, you can use it just like a CD. Faster too. I haven't backed up my games on a CD for quite some time, I just use the images on my HD.

I got it to burn and read now. Thank you for your help Sami!!!

Trey, thumbs up for your help also.
Osiris is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Nevermind. It didn't show up on the burned disc. Luckily I did it on a CD/RW instead of a CD, and didn't make another coaster
Osiris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome