Annoying network issue - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Annoying network issue

First some specs.

The user is running Win2k sp4 and is joined to a NT4 domain. He has no software firewall installed.

Now the problem.

I'm in the process of migrating all my workstations to a new Symantec anti virus server. The simple way to do this is to just push a reinstall from the new server. It has worked peachy for all the machines on my domain except for one. This one machine doesn't even show up if you try to browse to it over the network neighborhood. The machine IS properly joined to the domain. But if you look at it in Server Manager, it is greyed out as if it is no longer on line. I actually deleted it's computer account and rejoined it to the domain, no dice. If you type in \\computername\c$, from a remote computer, the c$ share actually comes up. I can even ping it by computername instead of IP, so I know it's not a WINS issue. There is something on that client machine that is making it impossible to browes to it. The Server service is not hidden, and the computer browser service is running.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
\(_o)/

Thats a software issue, not a network issue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:07 PM

first of all.. is the server service on this machine running???

and check rpc too.. maybe the tard that uses this computer started doing performance tweaks and disabled the server service or something retarded like that

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
first of all.. is the server service on this machine running???

and check rpc too.. maybe the tard that uses this computer started doing performance tweaks and disabled the server service or something retarded like that
Sorry, those aren't the issue.

I meant to imply that the server service was running when I said it wasn't hidden. The RPC service is running too. This guy is a developer and has fairly decent knowledge as to how Windows works. He's not someone I would "expect" to do something boneheaded. But you never know

Quote:
Thats a software issue, not a network issue
Why let the facts get in the way
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 04:15 PM

gotcha on the hidden.... is this an NT4 domain? wouldnt happen to be a firewall on this machine?

btw is it not possible just to do a local NAVCE install on his machine? or do you just need to resolve the issue?

Couple other things i would check... Check all the tcp/ip settings.. make sure netbios wins (i know you said its not a wins issue) all that good stuff is right.. worst case.. remove it all and start over with it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
gotcha on the hidden.... is this an NT4 domain? wouldnt happen to be a firewall on this machine?

btw is it not possible just to do a local NAVCE install on his machine? or do you just need to resolve the issue?

Couple other things i would check... Check all the tcp/ip settings.. make sure netbios wins (i know you said its not a wins issue) all that good stuff is right.. worst case.. remove it all and start over with it.
NAVCE is centrally managed. If the server can't see it (or in this case, the install program) then it won't let you install it.

But basically, I want to resolve the issue. I'm thinking of a rebuild, but that's really not my favorite way of fixing things. I like to find the fix
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:14 PM
El Camino

I'll try and find them but there are some reg hacks you can use to make a system not show up in the browse list and might prevent and AV from installing.

I run Symantec AV server at my office and a prior admin had done this on the win2k boxes in the office. I ran the install local but told it during the install that it was a managed box and just typed in the unc name of the av server and it worked fine.

But on all my xp desktops I rolled out I did push out the install from the server.

Good luck with it.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement