help on file splitting... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Exclamation help on file splitting...

here goes...

i am trying to install AOL, on my brothers laptop, problem is he doesnt have a c/d drive on itjust a ol' floppy drive, it is a \
IBM thinkpad-760LD

anyways- it has windows 98 installed, i just bought him a modem card for it. and i said need to install aol on it,
i have downloaded a program called HJSPLIT, it splits files so you can just copy them on a floppy 1 at a time, and send info, the join files together again,
(i also have to install winzip on the laptop to unzip the files that the splitter splits)

plus it's taking too long to do that, so im wondering if anyone knows of somewhere i can download AOL 4.0from, i remember back about 1995 they use to send it in the mail on a floppy,
im wanting to atleast install aol 4.0 hen upgrade once i am connected online,

or any other program easier to use then this hjsplit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Texas Rangers #1

www.oldversion.com has it.

BTW, it's 38 MB or so. Doesn't Win98 already have AOL installed somewhere? I think if you go to Add/Remove programs then System you can add Internet Providers and it will install AOL (not sure which version).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Exclamation

thank you so much... i really appreciate it!!
DFWSTANGS RULES!

by the way- im going to just download the 3.0 aol and upgrade from the net,

and it does have the AOL install but it asks for the windows 98 install CD, so brings me back to that problem!!!

thanks though!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Time Served

You can hook up the laptop to a PC parallel port to parallel port too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

wouldnt i need a special port cable.... ??

since i would just be sending information to the laptop,,, would i have to run a network...

i wish i would haev bought a nicc card w/ethernet... i might just be able to make a crossover cable! i should of thought twice before buying the PCMCIA modem card....

im really confused on this....

(now i have an additional problem!!!

here goes** i installed AOL 3.0 i also have the drivers for the modem card installed as well, everything was ready to go, then i hit dialup on the AOL screen, and it said that the COM1 wasnt reading a modem)
i checked the settings, and it shows
COM1 and COM2 ports empty,
butunder MODEM properties it shows COM5 with the PCMCIA card,
0(but on the drivers it shows PCMCIA as a modem card, but not on a COM port!!)

problem is AOL only reads COM 1,2,3,4 BUT NOT 5

I'm wondering if i can change the COM port????

i have tried changing the COM ports from the advance settings but then again, on the drivers it doesnt have the PCMCIA card on the list!!! im comfused

*******(by the way the O/S is WINDOWS 98***************
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Time Served

Mr. Wizard sez:

"There are many ways to connect two computers to together. This is usually done to move data between two computers or play games against another person. Below are two common ways to connect two computers cheaply:

Parallel Data Transfer Cable - Use a DB25 male to DB25 male data transfer cable to connect your parallel ports (printer ports). This will work with Windows 95/98/2000 Direct Cable Connection (DCC).

Ethernet Crossover Cable - You first must have an ethernet network interface card (NIC) in both computers to use this method. If you are using ethernet cards with RJ45 jacks (similar to a phone jack but wider), you simply need an RJ45 to RJ45 Category 5 Crossover Cable. However, you do not need a "crossover" cable if you are connecting the two computers through an ethernet hub. In this case you just need two standard Category 5 patch cables to connect to the hub. A2Z sells both the ethernet NICs and the crossover/standard ethernet network cables to do this. Regarding the "software" side of connecting the computers, you will probably need to assign TCP/IP, NetBUI, or IPX networking protocols to your ethernet network adapter card (found in Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network). If using the TCP/IP protocol on your network adapter, you will probably need to assign different IP addresses and the same subnet masks to the TCP/IP properties of each computer: Computer 1 could be IP 192.168.0.1 & subnet 255.255.255.0, and Computer 2 could be IP 192.168.0.2 & subnet 255.255.255.0. You might also need to type in the same Workgroup Name in the Identification tab.

USB Direct Link Cable - This is a cable that plugs into each computers' USB port. Both computers must be running Windows with USB support (later versions of Windows 95 or Windows 98)"

Yeah, both cables are special but available ready made at your friendly computer store. Sorry but I can't help with the com port thing. Maybe AOL support can tell you how.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

AOL won't help on the COM port ?'s... they just say, they can't resolve any computer ssues, i have to contact the manufacturer,

the thing here is that i guess i might have to buy a NICC card w/ethernet capabilities for the laptop...
because either way, i cant connect or dial out or anything much for that matter,,,, then i'll just make an rj45 crossover cable...

so i guess the MAIN problem right now is the COM PORT ?'s...
anyone know how i can change this...

....anyone have a nicc card w/ethernet for sale????
for a IBM THINKPAD 760LD?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement