Again. DVD copying - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Again. DVD copying

So what DVD ripping software is the best? Is DVDXCopy Gold/Platnium worth getting? Or is there some cheaper and better/as good alternative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Time Served

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:06 AM
98 SVT Cobra

DVD Shrink is da bomb. Will rip, encode and burn all in one.

I would not was the time or money on DVDXCopy. After this week they wont be offering a version that bypasses the encryption. They may at some point have to stop sales altogether along with support.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
If the movie fits into one disc or is close to fitting, I use DVD Shrink. Easy to reauthor the movie. However if it is a long movie, DVD Shrink doesn't work well with IFOEdit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
If the movie fits into one disc or is close to fitting, I use DVD Shrink. Easy to reauthor the movie. However if it is a long movie, DVD Shrink doesn't work well with IFOEdit.
If all your doing is copying the movie why do you need to use IFOEdit? I have never had to use it.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Time Served

Quote:
If all your doing is copying the movie why do you need to use IFOEdit? I have never had to use it.
If it doesn't fit on one disc, you have to split it. DVD's are already compressed and I don't want to lose anymore of the quality, it's already quite bad on some movies.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
If it doesn't fit on one disc, you have to split it.

So about how long of a movie will fit on a disc before requiring to split? Also when you split the disc I'm guessing the moive just stops at the point you splited it and you then put in the second one and it keeps going from there? Or do you get another DVD menu with the second disc and have to choose the chapter?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

One more thing. Will I loose Subtitles, Alt audio, etc?.

What about movies that have both Widescreen and Fullscreen on the same DVD? Do you have to cut one of them out? Like say Jet Li - The One.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
If it doesn't fit on one disc, you have to split it. DVD's are already compressed and I don't want to lose anymore of the quality, it's already quite bad on some movies.
I can see your point. Some people are more picky than others when it comes to quality. I will compress a movie up to about 70%, for my kids I will go less than that because they really dont care. I have seem some that are compressed up to 50% that still look pretty good to someone that doesn't know what to look for.

Quote:
Originally posted by SYN/ACK
So about how long of a movie will fit on a disc before requiring to split? Also when you split the disc I'm guessing the moive just stops at the point you splited it and you then put in the second one and it keeps going from there? Or do you get another DVD menu with the second disc and have to choose the chapter?
Quote:
Originally posted by SYN/ACK
One more thing. Will I loose Subtitles, Alt audio, etc?.

What about movies that have both Widescreen and Fullscreen on the same DVD? Do you have to cut one of them out? Like say Jet Li - The One.
Some of these questions could probably be better answered by Sami since I try not to split my movies. You are supposed to be able to fit 2 hours of video on one disc. Now when you add menus and estras that will reduce the movie time. There are many guides out on the net to help. As far as loosing subtitles and such, that is up to you. With DVD Shrink you can pick and chose what you want on there, you can keep it or loose it.

A movie that is both WS and FULL is usually dual layered (unless it is a very short movie). Meaning each version is on a different layer making the disc 9 gig instead of 4.7 gig. You would need to put WS on one disc and FULL on a second disc.

Here are a couple of good sites to get you started.

http://www.polarhome.com:793/~afonic/index.shtml
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Disclaimer:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I can see your point. Some people are more picky than others when it comes to quality. I will compress a movie up to about 70%, for my kids I will go less than that because they really dont care. I have seem some that are compressed up to 50% that still look pretty good to someone that doesn't know what to look for.
I agree. For most people compressing is ok. For my purpose it isn't as on most movies you can see the compression already in there if the screen is big enough. When I'm watching anamorphic movies the screen size is about 112" and compression sometimes makes the picture a bit blurred on original discs.

As for how much fits on one disc depends on the movie really. I usually run DVD Shrink first to see how much space it would take uncompressed. If I can fit it to one disc by removing the extras, I do it (as I do have the originals if I want to view the extras). Usually if the movie is 90 min or less it will fit into one discs but then there are (usually older) films that are 2-3 hours and still fit into one disc. For example Bladerunner fit into one. It all depends on the original compression on them.

If it doesn't fit, I will use DVD Decrypter and IfoEdit (I will try that DVD Fab once I get home) to fit it into two discs. I have a DVD jukebox so as soon as the first disc ends, the second one starts after a few seconds. You get to choose with IFOEdit whether it starts right where the first disc left off or with menus. It's a little extra work and requires a few try-and-learn runs with DVD-RW discs...

Keeping subtitles was my biggest concern with the older ripping software as I have a bunch of Finnish movies and I needed to keep the English subtitles. With the new software you get to keep that stuff, subtitles and different soundtracks without a problem.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:

I would not was the time or money on DVDXCopy. After this week they wont be offering a version that bypasses the encryption. They may at some point have to stop sales altogether along with support.
Thats what I used to rip all of josh's dvd collection. well most of it.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
DVD Shrink is da bomb.
Where can I get it?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by GTChick01
Where can I get it?
Sorry.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

Disclaimer:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement