What is this??????? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

What is this???????

a coworker clicked on some e-mail from somebody he didn't know that said something like, "welcome to AOL" or something similar... anyway, now, there are a ton of winzip files in every single folder of his computer!!!!! all of them have f-ed up names, like "alksdjf", "jfkdsl", etc... they're everywhere!!!! does anyone know how to get rid of this junk? i installed hijackthis, spybot, and adaware and ran all of them. it cleared out several, but it didn't get rid of anywhere near all of them. i also ran a system scan with Norton, and it came up that it had 2,500+ infected files! ...but it didn't delete them! what next?

brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

btw, the machine in question is running windows 2000 software...

brad
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Resident Epicurean

Re: What is this???????

Quote:
Originally posted by STANGGT40
a coworker clicked on some e-mail from somebody he didn't know that said something like, "welcome to AOL" or something similar... anyway, now, there are a ton of winzip files in every single folder of his computer!!!!! all of them have f-ed up names, like "alksdjf", "jfkdsl", etc... they're everywhere!!!! does anyone know how to get rid of this junk? i installed hijackthis, spybot, and adaware and ran all of them. it cleared out several, but it didn't get rid of anywhere near all of them. i also ran a system scan with Norton, and it came up that it had 2,500+ infected files! ...but it didn't delete them! what next?

brad
Go to the DOS prompt. C:\format
y

Seriously, I don't have any idea. That's what I do every time something comes across my machine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM

might be the netsky virus... go to symantec.com its on the front page... download the removal tool.

EDIT: i did not read that there was 2500 plus infected files... format that bitch..

here are some replacement OS's, http://www.liuxiso.org
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Re: Re: What is this???????

Quote:
Originally posted by bcoop
Go to the DOS prompt. C:\format
y

Seriously, I don't have any idea. That's what I do every time something comes across my machine.
lol....i almost told him to do that! there's too much junk that would need to be backed up, first, though... he's in there deleting the zipped files, one by one, now! he's been doing this all day!!!

brad
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
might be the netsky virus... go to symantec.com its on the front page... download the removal tool.

EDIT: i did not read that there was 2500 plus infected files... format that bitch..

here are some replacement OS's, http://www.liuxiso.org
check that! i just talked to him, and there were 7,666 infected files, according to norton!

he's going through and deleting them one by one! they're just winzip files with wierd names, but they have nothing in them! he ran a norton system scan the second time, and it didn't pull up anything. i guess that it takes care of the file, but leaves the winzip stuff there. anyway, i guess that he'll be here until tomorrow deleting those damn files! lol

brad
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:51 PM
El Camino

If he goes into the find and has it search for *.zip on his hardrive it will give him a list of all the zip files on his drive. From there he could select them all and hit delete and not have to go into each folder manually.

Still not pretty but should speed up the process if he is going into each folder manually.

Don't forget to empty the Recycle Bin when done.

edit: Let him sit for a bit if he is doing it manually just to teach him a lesson then offer a quicker method if he is willing to take you to lunch.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:10 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: What is this???????

Quote:
Originally posted by STANGGT40

brad
Some people have absolutely no business using a computer.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

One of THE best free virus scans I've come across. And it allows you to delete or repair the files.

Have fun.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:17 PM
I am a Motherfucker

I have been getting all kinds of random e-mails....
Delete..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiGT
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

One of THE best free virus scans I've come across. And it allows you to delete or repair the files.

Have fun.
agreed. If you're brave and know there are no zip files on C you need, run the following at the command prompt:

del C:\*.zip

Doing it manually will take you for the rest of your life if that thing's still running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement