So i finally figure out the Exchage 5.5 problem - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 02:33 AM
The Big Matt

So i finally figure out the Exchage 5.5 problem

I get a call monday morning that says, "oh no our email server is doing the same thing as before, those services aren't starting"

So i finally make it there Tuesday morning, and take a look. Sure enought the Information Store is corrupt again.

Holy shit.

I look around, and check norton, damn if this time there isn't a note that the edb.log file had a virus, and was deleted. Someone setup norton to clean first then delete. (Like I said before, I had no hand in setting this place up, it was a call out of the blue, from someone who knew my partner, and it's charity work, tax deductable of course)

I start doing a little research on the virus it found, and nothing about corrupting exchange, a do a little more research and find out, that if you have norton a/v on an exchange server or sql server, and have it doing a real time, or scheduled scans on the database files, norton my see one of these as different viruses. This is because the file may contain the same string as a virus, and that's all norton cares about.

Long story short, another 3-4 hours retreiving the Priv and pub databases from backup, doing consistancy checks, then hard restores, deleteing log files, etc, in order to bring it back up. All is well. And of course i told norton to not delete anything, and to stop checking the exchange directory.

It's nice that I could have billed 18-20 hours for this, had it been a paying client, but alas, sometimes the nonprofit guys need a hand.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:31 PM
IA2

Amazing that a nonprofit organization would have viable backups for you to use.

A lot of profit-based corporate america haven't discovered backups yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement