??? to MP3 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

??? to MP3

I loaded alot of cd's onto my computer and i'm trying to copy them to my portable MP3 player, but it wont copy them and I'm guessing b/c they are .wav files or something... but I'm not sure... when I loaded them it went through Windows Media Player - dunno if that makes a difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Super Jew

If you just copied them straight from the CD to your computer (drag and drop or copy and paste) then most likely they are still in CDDA format. There are programs out there that will convert these to MP3 such as Easy CDDA Extractor .

Hope this helps

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroked87
If you just copied them straight from the CD to your computer (drag and drop or copy and paste) then most likely they are still in CDDA format. There are programs out there that will convert these to MP3 such as Easy CDDA Extractor .

Hope this helps
I dont think you can copy cdda music files to your hd... all cda is.. is an address to what min:sec the song is recorded on the disc.

If you do have wav files, check on cnet.com for a converter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

how do i know what they are? when I check their properties it says they are windows media player files... I just stuck the cd in the player, it opened up a menu asking what I wanted to do, I hit copy music to library with a picture of WMP next to it and hit okay and it did
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Can anyone tell me what format a CD is when copied to your library with Windows Media Player and what I need to convert it to an MP3?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
Can anyone tell me what format a CD is when copied to your library with Windows Media Player and what I need to convert it to an MP3?
They're probably WMA format, so you'd need something to convert WMA files to MP3. I dunno of one off the top of my head, and I'm not even sure if its doable. WMA supports copyright protection where MP3 does not.

An alternative would be to use something to pull the songs off the CD and save them either in WAV format (and convert it later,) or save them directly to MP3.

I use Exact Audio Copy to rip directly to MP3's. Exact audio copy isn't the quickest out there, but it handles damaged CDs VERY well. I've ripped hundreds of CDs this way.

--

NASA American Iron #42, Texas Region

"Friends don't let friends early apex" -- Yahoo Racing Ltd.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
At least it sounds fast

I use Music Match Jukebox to rip from CD to MP3. The free version rips at play speed, but you can buy the upgrade and rip a lot faster.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by gt40mkII
They're probably WMA format, so you'd need something to convert WMA files to MP3. I dunno of one off the top of my head, and I'm not even sure if its doable. WMA supports copyright protection where MP3 does not.

An alternative would be to use something to pull the songs off the CD and save them either in WAV format (and convert it later,) or save them directly to MP3.

I use Exact Audio Copy to rip directly to MP3's. Exact audio copy isn't the quickest out there, but it handles damaged CDs VERY well. I've ripped hundreds of CDs this way.
is there a free trial version I can DLoad?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
is there a free trial version I can DLoad?
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Exact Audio Copy (EAC) can rip to a wav file. To produce MP3's you can configure EAC to use an external compressor. I use LAME, which can be downloaded from any of several sources.

-- RK

--

NASA American Iron #42, Texas Region

"Friends don't let friends early apex" -- Yahoo Racing Ltd.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Goldwave

www.goldwave.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement