Looking for network recommendations - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Looking for network recommendations

I own a small company and am looking for an affordable network solution. Figure that I'll want it to have 3-5 computers with the ability to expand a bit.
Are there any decent network in a box deals right now?
I'm just looking for something pretty basic that's functional.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:20 AM

Re: Looking for network recommendations

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean88gt
I own a small company and am looking for an affordable network solution. Figure that I'll want it to have 3-5 computers with the ability to expand a bit.
Are there any decent network in a box deals right now?
I'm just looking for something pretty basic that's functional.

Thanks
are the computers in seprate offices? if not.. just get you a switch and some network cards and network cables.. and network away
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Two seperate offices and a laptop that goes on the road.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Bite Me!!!

You have a PM... Are you looking for someone to come in and set this up IE running wires in the walls and setting up the network or are you just looking for recommendations on equimpent?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

I'll run the cables and set everything up. I'm just looking for suggestions for a flexible system.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Bite Me!!!

I am guessing you have broad band of some sort....

What I would do is get a Netgear Wireless router with a 4 port switch built in. If you need more than the 4 ports add another switch to the mix. Set your laptop wireless, and run cat5E wire for the rest.

But thats just me
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:09 PM
El Camino

I've been using the Dell PowerConnect switches and so far for the price I really like them.

I guess it really depends on what you are wanting to do. If you are going to run the cables, terminate them all, etc then you could go as low as a 10mb hub all the way to a gig ethernet managed switch.

It all depends on what other things you might want to do. I guess at some point you'll want to hook to the internet and then possibly set up some method for sharing files etc.

At that point you'll have to decide if you want a peer to peer or client/server environment. There should be no lack of knowledge on this board or people willing to help out.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by I Stang U
I am guessing you have broad band of some sort....

What I would do is get a Netgear Wireless router with a 4 port switch built in. If you need more than the 4 ports add another switch to the mix. Set your laptop wireless, and run cat5E wire for the rest.

But thats just me
I did this with a Linksys wireless router but both the PC and the notebook are wireless. It also has 4 ethernet connections so you can add later. I think Best buy has then for under $100.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Hustlin'

Do you have any interest in hosting your own domain, webserver, nameserver, etc and or other service on this network?? If your only talking about 3-4 clients w/ the possibility of a few more I'd say that falls into the 'would be easier to run a workgroup' catagory peer-peer, rather than setup a ligit copy of a supported server OS and its components in a client/server env (as already mentioned).

The suggestion of a wireless(for laptops)+4-port+switch for expansion+cat5e drops for hardwired clients sounds pefect to me on the hardware side assuming you want internet access on your clients; if not, just buy a switch/cables.

If you wanted to be really fancy, you could get 1G nics/switch
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:15 PM
El Camino

I just hate peer to peer but he is right. To drop in a minimal server with legit OS and CAL's you are looking at around 700-800 just for the software.

I'd suggest if you are going to go that route get someone with experience to set the server up for you.

I'd be glad to offer any advice. I currently maintain over 15 servers and have managed up to 40 before.

Quote:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang2be
I just hate peer to peer but he is right. To drop in a minimal server with legit OS and CAL's you are looking at around 700-800 just for the software.

I'd suggest if you are going to go that route get someone with experience to set the server up for you.

I'd be glad to offer any advice. I currently maintain over 15 servers and have managed up to 40 before.
could always look into a linux Samba Server... he could ditch the high cost, and not have to worry about CAL's

then all he would be looking at is hardware.. and with only 4 clients... it would not have to be anything special to run linux.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:33 PM
El Camino

Samba is a good option if he has the resources to help maintain/admin it. I've havent played with samba recently but I'd bet webmin has a nice front end to it and I know samba is supposed to be able to emulate a windows DC.

I'd love to help out if you decide to go this route. I tried playing with setting one up in a windows domain to act as a dc a while back but didnt get to put much time into it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:37 PM

Stang2be, I have not yet had the chance to set one up. But i hear Samba3 is supposed to emulate an Active Directory domain very nicely. Something I will be looking into for sure if I can ever find another job as a network admin.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:51 PM
El Camino

might be worth figuring out for me. I work for a financial institution that is cheap. If our processing vendor had a web interface I could run linux on all my desktops. I am trying to convert them from exchange 5.5 and to the open office suite.

I already run our IDS off a linux box and most of the intranet too.

Quote:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:03 PM

i found a solution for exchange as well.. seems kind of complicated to get going i once again am waiting to get to a potision where i can try it.

but check out http://www.opengroupware.org

also found a good samba setup site just now...

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Ma...ticle247.shtml

If you happen to try out openoffice.. please let me know how well/bad it works. (it will even work with MS Outlook with a plugin)

EDIT: edited the first URL
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:22 PM
El Camino

So far I like open office. I tried going both directions of opening up existing files created in ms office and then made new in open office and opened in ms office and had no troubles. I liked how open office gui was pretty much the same no matter what app you are in.

I do wish it had some sort of mail client built in.

Quote:
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang2be
So far I like open office. I tried going both directions of opening up existing files created in ms office and then made new in open office and opened in ms office and had no troubles. I liked how open office gui was pretty much the same no matter what app you are in.

I do wish it had some sort of mail client built in.
Did you check out the opengroupware link? It is an Exchange Server alternative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement