got a WAP, 2 questions... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Question got a WAP, 2 questions...

i bought a cheap netgear WAP, it is 802.11a, first question is.. where can i find pci cards for the 2 computers i want to use it with? I can find a and g cards.. and a,b, & G. Im looking for cheap though.. the abg ones are like 80 bucks, im looking for a price of around 30-45.

Second question is.. how can i make sure no one can just walk up witha laptop and gain internet access for me.. I know the 802.11a only work within 60 feet to get full speed.... but does it work farther away at slower speeds???

fill a wireless newbie in.

thanks:trey
trey85stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Lifer
 
HiTechRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,063
First turn of SSID broadcast. Then change your SSID to something different than the default. Change any admin usernames/passwords that the WAP has. For a shits and giggles implement 128bit WEP (you will have to put the 128bit WEP key on each WiFi card). You can also restrict down to just your MAC addresses that you have. All of this can be defeated with a wireless sniffer but at least you will be more secure than the dumbasses that just plug it in and go.
HiTechRedneck is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by SYN/ACK
First turn of SSID broadcast. Then change your SSID to something different than the default. Change any admin usernames/passwords that the WAP has. For a shits and giggles implement 128bit WEP (you will have to put the 128bit WEP key on each WiFi card). You can also restrict down to just your MAC addresses that you have. All of this can be defeated with a wireless sniffer but at least you will be more secure than the dumbasses that just plug it in and go.
Thanks for the info.. now i need to get some cards...

btw... where can i find these sniffers
trey85stang is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Lifer
 
HiTechRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
Thanks for the info.. now i need to get some cards...

btw... where can i find these sniffers
Knoppix-STD has not just wireless sniffers but almost every other tool you'd want. You can download the CDROM built ISO and just pop it in any computer with a NIC and/or WiFi card and you have everything installed etc without having to actually create a new box. Of course since the OS is running off the CD it is a bit slow and annoying. Once you play around with all the tools you can download the ones you want on your wardriving box or whatever.
HiTechRedneck is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally posted by SYN/ACK
Knoppix-STD has not just wireless sniffers but almost every other tool you'd want. You can download the CDROM built ISO and just pop it in any computer with a NIC and/or WiFi card and you have everything installed etc without having to actually create a new box. Of course since the OS is running off the CD it is a bit slow and annoying. Once you play around with all the tools you can download the ones you want on your wardriving box or whatever.
Sweet.. knoppix rocks.. I use DamnSmall linux.. but it doesnt have the wireless tools that STD has...

thats cool though! thanks:trey
trey85stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome