I need some help! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I need some help!

We bought a second computer to use for the internet. Well, Jared tried installing the new NIC card by himself and then proceeded to install the driver for the new router. Well, for some reason it couldn't find the new hardware and then I started messing with it and now it says that I've deleted Windows 98! I didn't delete anything, I'm not sure what happened, but the computer isn't working now.

Can someone come over and fix this shit for me?!

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 AM
El Camino

How is it a bad thing if you've deleted windows 98?

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Lifer

it might be, trying to navigate through the net on DOS isnt very gratifying.

adam

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:33 AM
yes, jluv

I have successfully installed the PCI ethernet adapter card.

I have successfully connected the computer to the network.

But somehow the files needed to run Windows 98 have been deleted. To fix it, the computer keeps asking to reinstall the Windows 98 software, which I don't have. Anyone have it? Is it just a matter of borrowing the disc and that's it?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Time Served

Ok, I think I know what you're talking about. In order to install new NIC's in 95 or 98 you need the Windows installation disk. Is that it, when you isntalled the driver, it asked you to insert the Windows disk? Windows is still booting and working other than the NIC?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:53 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
Ok, I think I know what you're talking about. In order to install new NIC's in 95 or 98 you need the Windows installation disk. Is that it, when you isntalled the driver, it asked you to insert the Windows disk? Windows is still booting and working other than the NIC?
No. It came with the installation disk and everything is installed. The ethernmet card is installed and the computer is connected to the network. I can ping from one computer to the other.

When the computer first boots up, it gives me a message saying that the files that support Windows 98 have been deleted. It tells me to re-install the software (which I don't have). AFter hitting enter a few times, the screen looks normal but I can't open internet explorer.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Time Served

You should be able to put any Windows 98 cd in and it will find the files it is looking for. If you do not have a copy of Win98 I can burn a copy for you. BTW, I'm the guy you bought the PC from.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:45 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2KSilverGT
You should be able to put any Windows 98 cd in and it will find the files it is looking for. If you do not have a copy of Win98 I can burn a copy for you. BTW, I'm the guy you bought the PC from.
Cool. I played with it a bit and went into the Network option from the control panel. It is now asking me specifically to insert the Windows 98 SE disk. I don't have it. Where are you located?

If I install the disk, is it going to then fix itself? Will that let me get on the internet?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Time Served

The Win 98 se CD should fix your windows error and if you're plugged directly into your router/wireless access point you should hit the web fine. I work in Garland and live in Rockwall.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:34 PM
El Camino

That or if you can still get online with another pc the .cab files to install 98se arent much over 100mb. If you've got broadband you could just download them. I might be able to help in that department.

I've got 98se cd's here and I admin a network with a 3mb pipe to the internet.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:31 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang2be
That or if you can still get online with another pc the .cab files to install 98se arent much over 100mb. If you've got broadband you could just download them. I might be able to help in that department.

I've got 98se cd's here and I admin a network with a 3mb pipe to the internet.
I am online now with our main computer. The other one is connected fine. So you're saying I can download Windows 98 onto a disc or something and load it into the computer that needs it?

PM coming your way.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by jluv
No. It came with the installation disk and everything is installed. The ethernmet card is installed and the computer is connected to the network. I can ping from one computer to the other.

When the computer first boots up, it gives me a message saying that the files that support Windows 98 have been deleted. It tells me to re-install the software (which I don't have). AFter hitting enter a few times, the screen looks normal but I can't open internet explorer.
I think that's the problem I described. When you installed the NIC drivers, it asked you for a 98 disk, didn't it? Like others said, once you get a copy, you're able to correct the problem.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:18 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
I think that's the problem I described. When you installed the NIC drivers, it asked you for a 98 disk, didn't it? Like others said, once you get a copy, you're able to correct the problem.
Originally, by installing the network card and using the supplied disk, it said everything was installed correctly, but upon rebooting, the computer would say that the file supporting Windows was deleted, and it would ask me to delete or reinstall the application.

I spent most of the day troubleshooting, manually undid what the disk did, and then manually installed the new hardware (card) step by step in the network settings in the control panel. At one point it then flat out asked me to install the Windows 98 SE disk.

So ya, I hope that fixes it once I can get a copy of that disk. All I really want to do is get online with that computer.

Thanks for the help.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:03 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by jluv
I am online now with our main computer. The other one is connected fine. So you're saying I can download Windows 98 onto a disc or something and load it into the computer that needs it?

PM coming your way.
You may already have all the .cab files located on your harddrive. Browse around in the C:\Windows\Options\ directory or do a search, if you see a bunch of win98 cab files then when it asks you for the Win98 cd just point it to that directory.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:03 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
Browse around in the C:\Windows\Options\ directory or do a search, if you see a bunch of win98 cab files then when it asks you for the Win98 cd just point it to that directory.

How do I do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement