Running Linux inside Windows 2000/XP? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Strong to Quite Strong

Running Linux inside Windows 2000/XP?

Hey guys, I am fairly familiar with linux and have had several boxes with various distrobutions over the years. However, I have never really been able to stick with it because as a student I use a laptop and so far I have been unable to get linux to meet my needs. Now that is probably because I am not knowledgeable enough to configure it properly, but all the same it hasn't been able to meet my needs.

Well I still want to play with linux and get more used to using it, but I don't want to do a dual boot and have to reboot to windows to do a task that I can't in linux. I am wondering if there is a distrobution that will run inside of windows 2000/XP like an application, much like VMware's Virtual Machine. Please let me know what the best way to go about getting a chance to play with linux but not having to commit to a change as of yet. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:11 AM
El Camino

You might also looking into linux bootable cd distros. I use one for my laptop. I didnt want to dual boot it but wanted to be able to run a linux kernel when needed.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Strong to Quite Strong

Thats a good point and I have tried a couple of them so far, but my main goal is to not have to reboot to switch between windows and linux.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:43 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Best way to accomplish that is to just format that windows stuff and put Linux on it

Whats your crutch programs with windows? You can get any office application to run in linux.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Strong to Quite Strong

Well I have alot of trouble configuring things like xine to run properly and it seems to NEVER work for me. The biggest hang up that I have with linux is that I can't get it to suspend and resume like I can with windows. Also network browsing and connectivity seem too difficult to be efficient. I know about LinNeighborhood, but it seems like extra steps to find the share and mount it, then search through it for the file. Also, when browsing forums and I come across a video clip I want to watch, the player always seems to be lacking codecs and whatnot. I always have questions but I get the whole RTFM speech and frankly if thats the only way, windows works fine for me. Another issue is trying to get a wireless PCMCIA card working. And when I use my PCMCIA compact flash card reader on my digital cameras card it seems to fuck up the formatting. Plug and play with a mouse would be nice too. I use an external mouse most of the time but it seems that I have to either use only the on board mice or only the external. Okay now I am rambling...

Last edited by bug1124; 12-29-2003 at 12:10 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:28 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'll be the first to admit among the many, linux has a decent ways to go on the desktop enviroment setting, but man, once you figure out what you are doing, its bliss.

mplayer is what you'll want to use to play videos, it plays pretty much everything.

mozilla with antialiased fonts rocks for a browser.

I dont know what LINhood is, but the mount command works just fine for me.

I believe all camera cards are Fat32, you shouldnt have any problems with format.

Try cgywin for a linux in windows enviroment
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bug1124
Well I have alot of trouble configuring things like xine to run properly and it seems to NEVER work for me. The biggest hang up that I have with linux is that I can't get it to suspend and resume like I can with windows. Also network browsing and connectivity seem too difficult to be efficient. I know about LinNeighborhood, but it seems like extra steps to find the share and mount it, then search through it for the file. Also, when browsing forums and I come across a video clip I want to watch, the player always seems to be lacking codecs and whatnot. I always have questions but I get the whole RTFM speech and frankly if thats the only way, windows works fine for me. Another issue is trying to get a wireless PCMCIA card working. And when I use my PCMCIA compact flash card reader on my digital cameras card it seems to fuck up the formatting. Plug and play with a mouse would be nice too. I use an external mouse most of the time but it seems that I have to either use only the on board mice or only the external. Okay now I am rambling...
i would recommend mandrake 9.2, it has pretty good hardware support.. and xine is availble during setup... so no need to jack with configureing it.. it works out of the box.

other than the web broser.. you have to install a few plugins.. but they are not difficult. (if you read the ddirections )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement