DFW Mustang Forums banner

Scsi Ultra 3 / Ultra 160 Anyone using them?

222 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  MY1Fast99C5 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking at building a system and wanted to go the route of a scsi this time. Just wanted to know the do's and don'ts. If there are any.

TIA

By the way this is what I am looking at

TY073JK MAXTOR ATLAS 10K II 73.4GB SCA U160 SCSI 3.5 4.7MS 8MB 80PIN

Details:
73.4GB Ultra160 80Pin SCSI 4.7ms 10000rpm 8192K Cache

I am wanting to get three of these.

#2 ·
4.7ms seek time is hella fucking fast, what are you building the server for? I've helped build a ton of servers for high load mysql and a couple medium load apache boxes for some of our clients ( one of them being krafts database server ). If you've got the money then thats a god damn good setup, but it may be WAY overkill for what you want. Those parts are not cheap by any means which of course you probably know this. One more time, that shit aint cheap!

The only thing I can think of is the hot swappable option you may want to add which adds some more cost.

Jesus thats some fast data retrival.

#3 ·
Honeslty it will be just for playing. I am wanting to play with it for a while then I might put it on line on one of my buddies T1s and set it up as a Linux Box and run some of his customers websites.

Other than that just for the heck of it.

I also was looking into the FC drives. Found one I liked that wasnt to expensive.

CHEETAH X15-36LP 36.7GB 3.7MS 15K FC 40PIN SCA ST336752FC

I could pick up 3 of those and see what it can do.:D

I am really wanting to try out a dual Opteron. He has a dual Zeon running his stuff right now.

Moreless I am wanting to play. And also build something and run into all the porblems associated with trying something new out and learn in the process.:)

I am readin up on these fibre channel hd's now.

#4 ·
If you have money to just throw around, you can help me pay my car payment :)

#5 ·
AbecX said:
If you have money to just throw around, you can help me pay my car payment :)

LOL

I am looking at the fibre channel stuff right now. Qlogic has some nice fiber optics cards. They call them sanblade. Gotta do some more research on that one though. Not sure if you can boot to a san or not.

Oh well. I might do a scsi with a fibre channel to play with. LOL So many damn choices.

#6 ·
You should be able to boot to any device as long as it comes with a bootable controller card.

#7 ·
Yeah thats true. Just havent done anything with a storage area network. The card is a pci card so I would think you could also. The card is $500~750 depending on where you try to get it. Drives really arent to bad similar to scsi a few years back.

But they come in 1GB transfer. :eek: And 2GB transfer(not within my reach though) This one comes in a 2.5ghz buss and a 2gb i/o rate. :eek: But is somewhere in the $6k range I think.

I am looking at one with a 66mhz buss speed and 1gb transfer
http://www.qlogic.com/products/fc_san_hostadapers.asp

part # QLA2202F

This might be the route I take. I would still like to play with some scsi's though. I guess I could have the best of both worlds:D

#8 ·
whats the point of having a drive read that fast if your on a ds3 network that is nowhere near a gb throughput? If you're doing webstuff, fast IDE's will do just fine with 1 or 2gb of ram, no need in going over kill unless its internal or you are plugging up to your own oc256 ;)

#9 ·
AbecX said:
whats the point of having a drive read that fast if your on a ds3 network that is nowhere near a gb throughput? If you're doing webstuff, fast IDE's will do just fine with 1 or 2gb of ram, no need in going over kill unless its internal or you are plugging up to your own oc256 ;)

Good question.

Answer: Because I can:p And it will be internal for the most part. I am just wanting to play around some. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.