can someone help me with my computer before I smash it - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Angry can someone help me with my computer before I smash it

I have a HP. It had ME OS loaded when I got it but I got rid of that. My computer was always locking up to were I had to shut it off and restart it. Well, I swtiched to windows 2000. All I have loaded on is Office, Flight simulator, Pspice (circuit design program), and my dig. camera software. My computer still locks up and will not respond to anything so I have to shut it off manually. I have removed/ reinstalled programs and still no change. The computer has the Pentium III proc. and 256 RAM. I added more mem. to bring it up to 256 thinking that might help but it made no diff. Now, the computer always locks up while on the net. Usually when I am switching to another site or scrolling down on a page. Once in a blue moon it will lock up like this when I am using Word or some normal program like that but not too often. I have ran Normal utilities on it, no difference. Anyone have some advice to offer as this is really frustrating??? I don't know a lot about computers and problems like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Time Served

Have you installed all the windows updates? I would try that first.

Also, bad memory (RAM) can cause your machine to randomly lock up. Do you still have your original memory? You might try switching back to that and see if it makes a difference.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2KSilverGT
Have you installed all the windows updates? I would try that first.

Also, bad memory (RAM) can cause your machine to randomly lock up. Do you still have your original memory? You might try switching back to that and see if it makes a difference.

Good Luck.
Yes, I have downloaded all the recent updates and tried the old memory sticks. Still no luck. Even after changing the OS, memory it still locks up. My modem went bad last year so I had to replace that but it still locks up the same as it always has. Very weird.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:40 AM
Lifer

Could be a flaky system board if you've already replaced the memory. Make sure the cpu fan is running also all the time, overheating will cause lockups.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 06:03 AM

try switching out your power supply... i had an hp that did that as well.. (bought it around may 2000, around 2002 started to lock up, i switched to win 98 still locked up, power supply made everything GRAVY, lol)

it goes about 30 - 45 minutes then it locks up right? get a quality power supply from www.newegg.com

about 50-75 bucks but for the price you might as well get a new case with it as well (antec is the case/power supply brand i recommend) also toss in a couple of case fans (like 4 bucks each)

make sure you get the right pin adapters for the case fans though that matches your power supply pins.

like ozzeran said, overheating causes most lockups, bad power supply surges voltages and trips the cpu into safe mode (think lightning strike) and stops your computer. or if the fan on the power supply is bad same thing generally.

if the power supply ad case fans don't do the trick.. see if your model HP will take a heatsink (mini radiator looking thing). they help cool your processor to prevent overheating

Last edited by 11B2V_Mike; 12-04-2003 at 06:06 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 AM
date +%H:%M | grep 4:20

log files

"I live my life a 1/4 bag at a time."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

log files???? What are those. I am pretty ignorant about this stuff.

The fan is fine and the vent is clear. Also the computer is in a well vented area. Plenty of airflow.

This thing locks up most of the time while on the internet. Usually while scrolling or changing screens. Somethings it just locks up while off the net but mostly it does it on the net.

Now, last night I was trying to remove some programs and the computer would just lock up. The mouse, keyboard does not work at all. I press the caps lock key to see if the light turns off but nothing. Completely froze up. The computer has to be shut off of the buttom on the case. Weird.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Time Served

If you are on a broadband connect using an NIC then I'd say its the NIC.

New Car;
2007 Shelby GT 500
Steeda CAI
SCT Tuner

Previous car;
2003 Black Cobra

Mods...
Diablo Predator
2.8 upper pully
Steeda Blower Belt Tensioner
AFT-CAT Bassani Exhaust Sytem
Bassani X
Kenne Bell CAI
MGW Shifter
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRaZor
If you are on a broadband connect using an NIC then I'd say its the NIC.
what's that?
My connection is dial up, 56K for now. It sucks but it does lock up sometime while not on the net. I guess I am looking for a diagnosis method, steps to check and see what is working and what is not.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:19 PM
date +%H:%M | grep 4:20

Quote:
Originally posted by WhtEdge
log files???? What are those.
control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer

sort by date and see if anything corresponds to the time your system crashed. sometimes it can be useful to isolate issues instead of pulling parts out of your box first. there may be other ways to go about this but with windows i wouldn't know. so many places to click and not enough mice.

"I live my life a 1/4 bag at a time."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

here yea go

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Re: here yea go

Quote:
Originally posted by Teds03gt

HAHAH! I feel like that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement