So how do I clean off these viruses? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

So how do I clean off these viruses?

I have an old 366mhz system I want to install Red Hat 3 on. (I know its old but I wanted to started with an older version to get to know it before I upgrade to later versions of Red Hat).

Anyhow, this was a Win98 system I had suspected had some virus on it. I fdisked the mofo and formated the disk figuring it would kill anything on it. WRONG. I noticed the floppy drive seemed to only work intermittent and got progressively worse while I was trying to run fips.exe. Looking through the BIOS settings I found where there was a setting for an antivirus that was disabled. I enabled and rebooted. During bootup, it discovered there is a virus in the boot sector. It doesn't tell what the virus is and gives me the option to put in a bootable disk and restart. I do this but it just brings me back to the same screen.

How do I get rid of this virus if I don't even know what it is? Is it IN the BIOS? it says to go to www.antivirus.com which is Trend Micro. There site isn't any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Texas Rangers #1

A boot sector virus is a virus that installs itself on the boot sector of the hard drive. Usually the only way to delete them is to make a AntiVirus bootable floppy and run it on the drive, it was scan the boot sector and delete the virus. IMO, the best antivirus program is Symantech Norton AntiVirus. www.symantec.com

If that's too much trouble, you might want to find a new hard drive.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 11:37 AM

boot into dos w/ a boot disk, and run fdisk /mbr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement