??'s about DVDs and burners - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

??'s about DVDs and burners

Ok, as an computer illiterate person, if I wanted to buy a burner for my computer what would I get? Which is the better of the two, the +/- or just the +? What are the pros and cons of each kind?

Now the reason that I ask. I have got some movies DL'ed and want to burn them, I can do that, right? Or do I have to have some type of encoder?

What about illegal copying of movies? Anybody got a website that tells me how or care to share one that sheds some light on the subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 PM

lots of help can be found here... http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:58 PM
98 SVT Cobra

dvdrhelp.com is a very good site. Another good one is http://www.afterdawn.com/ . Just go and start posting in the forums and ask questions. You should be able to get the answers you are looking for.

As for what to buy +R or -R, they both have the pros and cons. The best way to go would be to get a dual burner that does both.

If you want to burn movies that you have downloaded into DVD format then you will first need to encode them into mpeg2 format (TMPGEnc Video Encoder can do this for you) and then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to create the VOB files and menus. There are cracks out there for these programs.

If you want to make copies of DVDs then the best way I have found to do it is to first rip the DVD in file mode using DVD Decrypter, then open the .ifo file in DVD Shrink to compress it so it will fit on a DVD5 disc. This program will allow you to choose whether you want to keep the menus and extras or just have the movie. DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are both free.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Lifer

they have dual mode drives now that will do DVD-R and DVD+R so not that big a deal trying to decide which format to go with. The Sony product is a good one and there are others

if you are thinking of making backups of DVD's you own, its as easy as the sloestang was saying. I use DVDdecryptor to rip the files to a drive. Then, with a point and a click only use DVD2one to pull the movie files and recompress into a nice set of files 4.3GB total just right for DVD-R. BTW, for compatibility issues, (and assuming you want to play the burned DVD-R on your settop player) you will want to use DVD-R media. Then burn the files to DVD-R using Nero, or create an image and burn it with the built-in DVDDecryptor burner.

Your mileage may vary but it is MUCH-MUCH-MUCH easier to make backups now then it has ever been. I started doing this over a year ago and you really have to have been there to appreciate the software and hardware advances that have been made since then.

good luck
Mike
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:12 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by miketyler
BTW, for compatibility issues, (and assuming you want to play the burned DVD-R on your settop player) you will want to use DVD-R media.
That depends on his player. I have a 5 disc Kenwood player and it plays my +R/+RW media just fine. They also work well on my Deawoo, Pioneer, and Magnavox players. The only player I have that they dont work on is an 4 year old RCA.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Lifer

I would assume then that your settops are newer models? My point was that the DVD-R format is more widely accepted for use with settops including older models. Yes, it will depend on your player, but most newer models will be backwards compatible with the DVD-R media.

Its no secret, you can read on any of the DVD forums about the wider spread settop compatiblity with DVD-R. However, DVD+R has been around awhile and am sure there are plenty of units that will read DVD+R media as well.

Another thing regarding differences; I think the DVD-R media being the older of the formats is limited to the slower 1X/2X burn speed. The newer DVD+R media will support 2X/4X.

This does not speak to the issue of the quality of the media and the critical role it can play in whether or not the disc can be read in ANY settop box.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

Ok, I think I am clear on the DVD- and DVD+, sort of. Basically either format will work, they both do the same thing, make DVD's, its just that + is faster at burning. Also some older players won't support the + format. So I think I am down to my main reason in asking the question about DVD+/-, can I go to Blockbuster and rent movies and rip them to my hard drive and then make "backup" copies of them? Or does CSS prevent this? Do I need Dvd X Copy to burn them or is there freeware out there to do this?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Lifer

you have to use DVDDecryptor to rip the CSS encrypted files from the retail DVD. The bare files then are suitable for editing down to a 4.3GB size. Several products out there that do this function including DVDXcopy, DVD2one, DVDExpress, etc

good luck
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

So are you saying it can be done albeit illegal?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Lifer

yes, that is correct. At a high level, the law used to have provision for the consumer to make BU copies of any CD, DVD, record, etc that they had purchased legally.

Not sure exactly how the law reads today but you should read up on it. With all the newest activity from the RIAA, I would expect similar enforcement from the hollywood industry.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 12:23 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
you have to use DVDDecryptor to rip the CSS encrypted files from the retail DVD. The bare files then are suitable for editing down to a 4.3GB size. Several products out there that do this function including DVDXcopy, DVD2one, DVDExpress, etc

good luck
Yuck! I hate DVDXcopy, my father has had nothing but problems with that software.

As stated the best way of going about creating a copy of a DVD is to first rip it using DVD Decrypter in file mode. Then you can use either DVD2One or DVD Shrink, both work fine. Then you will need a program to burn the files to a disk such as Nero 6 or Nero Express.

Like Mike said copying DVDs that you do not own is indeed illegal but it can be done and is done everyday. It is no different then downloading music off Kazaa or IRC and burning a CD.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Live and Learn

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
Yuck! I hate DVDXcopy, my father has had nothing but problems with that software.

As stated the best way of going about creating a copy of a DVD is to first rip it using DVD Decrypter in file mode. Then you can use either DVD2One or DVD Shrink, both work fine. Then you will need a program to burn the files to a disk such as Nero 6 or Nero Express.

Like Mike said copying DVDs that you do not own is indeed illegal but it can be done and is done everyday. It is no different then downloading music off Kazaa or IRC and burning a CD.
I use dvdxcopy and I have had only one mess up. It is easy to use.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Live and Learn

Quote:
Originally posted by sloestang
Ok, I think I am clear on the DVD- and DVD+, sort of. Basically either format will work, they both do the same thing, make DVD's, its just that + is faster at burning. Also some older players won't support the + format. So I think I am down to my main reason in asking the question about DVD+/-, can I go to Blockbuster and rent movies and rip them to my hard drive and then make "backup" copies of them? Or does CSS prevent this? Do I need Dvd X Copy to burn them or is there freeware out there to do this?
I would recommend dvd x copy express, not gold. I like the sony dvd +/- burner. (internal or external) I have the external. The sony comes with a program called record now. Just build a global image of the copied dvd to your hard drive. You can go to meritline.com and get dvd-r dvds for 89 cents each. They work really good. I have had only one problem with it playing on my dvd player and that would be because it was in "pal" format. Wal-mart sells a apex dvd player for 34 bucks and it works great on both formats.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:13 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

If you're going to copy DVD's, the ONLY way to go, is Gordian Knot ... you can do either direct DVD to DVD copy, or compress to Mpeg or DivX/Xvid. It's flawless, and after the initial short learning curve, extremely easy to use.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Lifer

See there? It just keeps getting better and better. I'll be checking it out
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
If you're going to copy DVD's, the ONLY way to go, is Gordian Knot ... you can do either direct DVD to DVD copy, or compress to Mpeg or DivX/Xvid. It's flawless, and after the initial short learning curve, extremely easy to use.
Only?

Theres billions of programs out there to copy dvds, and convert to different video format.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Lifer

for the sake of this discussion however I think we were only talking about DVD to DVD format. No low grade, VHS quality, DVD to SVCD (CDR media, 800 MB limit)here. Those programs are a dime a dozen and arent worth spit.

I think there is a short list of software products that do DVD to DVD encoding that are worth even considering for creating a high quality backup.

Last edited by miketyler; 11-30-2003 at 04:40 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 06:24 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunt4m3x
Only?

Theres billions of programs out there to copy dvds, and convert to different video format.
Yeah, but it's the ONLY way to go, because it's the best

I know there's a ton of other options, but if you want it done right the first time, every time, and with minimal hassel, you won't go wrong with Gordian Knot. You can get as simple as 5 steps with Gordian Knot for perfectly fine rips/encodes, or you can go in and get into the finer controls, and spend 30 minutes tweaking every setting you can thnk of before setting it to encode. In otherwords, it can be as easy, or complex as you want.

DarkWolf
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 06:27 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
for the sake of this discussion however I think we were only talking about DVD to DVD format. No low grade, VHS quality, DVD to SVCD (CDR media, 800 MB limit)here. Those programs are a dime a dozen and arent worth spit.

I think there is a short list of software products that do DVD to DVD encoding that are worth even considering for creating a high quality backup.
Gordian Knot will do straight DVD to DVD. You may need to get another program to recompress, or cut out audio tracks, to get a movie to fit on 4.7 gigs though.

DarkWolf
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Lifer

ahh...ok so that product is on par with DVDXcopy and will copy DVD to DVD but in most cases will require 2 DVD's for one DVD9 movie

This is where DVD2one shines - it extracts only the movie and uses minimum compression to get it in under the 4.3GB mark. A nice backup of the movie only on one DVD with one simple point and click.

There are new products popping up all the time. I would be interested in hearing of any other products that does what DVD2One does
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 01:38 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I prefer getting 3 to 6 movies on one DVD. Quality is as good as, or better than what you'd get with a video tape of said movies, which is perfectly fine with me. If I liked a movie enough to want as perfect a copy as I can get ... I'll just buy the actual DVD

DarkWolf
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
I prefer getting 3 to 6 movies on one DVD. Quality is as good as, or better than what you'd get with a video tape of said movies, which is perfectly fine with me. If I liked a movie enough to want as perfect a copy as I can get ... I'll just buy the actual DVD
Care to write a Gordian Knot White Paper Jay?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
If I liked a movie enough to want as perfect a copy as I can get ... I'll just buy the actual DVD
That takes all the fun out of it though right? Anyone can go out and buy a DVD
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Hustlin'

I'm strongly considering the Pioneer DVR-A06 (or its whitebox equivilant) for my new Shuttle SB75G2, any comments on that drive from those of you that have dealt with it? It sure seems to be a helluva performane value @ 129 shipped from newegg. I read a couple reviews on it today and all spoke well of it. Anyone w/ some real world experience w/ that A06? Or maybe the A05?

Good comments on the video standards/apps/and processes; very useful stuff for video ripping newbies.

<--- Video ripping newbie

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 02:37 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose
Care to write a Gordian Knot White Paper Jay?
Go to dvdrhelp.com you may be able to find what you need Jose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement