Its things like this that make me laugh at "Windows Server" users... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Its things like this that make me laugh at "Windows Server" users...

Why... why... why... would you ever want to run any version of Microsoft Windows in a server enviroment? Are you hoping for downtime? Do you like hiring extra staff to cover all aspects of one OS? Does the downtime and/or random errors make you feel like you know something and are doing something when you fix it?

Example #1:
A client wanted us to format and reinstall his Windows 2000 Server computer. He stated that its been 2 years since the original install and its been bandaided so many times, he cant fix the random issues, let alone the fact that we charge for after hour reboots which was killing him. Sure, no big deal, I'll take care of you. I reply back without knowing what the hell was about to happen.

I go into the colo, punch in my code, open up his cabinet and proceed to plug up the crash cart to his box. I pop in a copy of Windows 2000 Server making note that I got his original cd key before formatting, dont want to piss off any MS Priacy people.

I reboot the box, tell it to boot from cdrom, and I'm off. It boots the CD asking me if I really want to boot from the cd to press any key.... Well duh, why else would I've popped in the cd... Not expecting that crap to pop, it starts to load the OS normally, I think to myself, nice 3 second delay! I reboot, and am quick enough to hit a key.

The nice little 'nt' install windows come up and it goes through its thing, but it sure did take forever. 5 minutes later after it found all the drivers it could thing of it was ready to accept additional commands. Its amazing that a typical linux distro installation would probably be copying data to the drive by now. I tell it I want to Install, then hit F8, already accepting license agreements. Then I have to tell it I want to Install again, as it wanted to know if I wanted to repair. Next page pops up letting me know it found a current NT disk, I tell it to delete the partation, I have to hit l to confirm it then esc to format it... jesus, this is taking forever, 15 minutes have past and its doing its 'government standard' formatting and its only at 20%. I go back and come back an hour later, its install a lot of stuff and its at the last reboot. Box comes back up, I setup termservices and I'm done, or so I thought.

I call the customer and let him know that his box is back up, and he should log in asap and change his passwords and upgrade the servers packs.

About 30 minutes later, our network usuage stats are through the roof, we do a quick sniff of traffic, sure enough, that windows box was already owned and spitting out mad traffic to all sorts of places.

I take the box offline, the guy immeditaly calls in, I inform him his box was wormed and we had to take him down. He tells me to format again, so I do wasting another hour+ and this time I put him on the internal network, patch it myself ( another 30 mintues ) before I put him on the network. Its just sick for me to have to do all that work to one box when I could've setup 10 - 15 linux boxes that would do twice the work in that amount of time.

Example #2:

This attachment just speaks for itself. WinXP is supposed to be the latest and greatest, right? Well maybe, after you install a billion updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:30 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
This site is under construction! The new dfwls1.com will be released soon with more features and stability! Stay tuned...

Cruz Cranford
[email protected]
My clustered Windows 2000 servers have been running for 1252 hours (about 52 days) straight crunching statistical data and serving it up in IIS.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
My clustered Windows 2000 servers have been running for 1252 hours (about 52 days) straight crunching statistical data and serving it up in IIS.
my last 2000 server had/(probably still is running) been running for 270+ days straight.. would of been about 500+ but damn pwer outage.. of course it wasnt running IIS or anything crucial...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:38 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Oh yea, AbecX, I fully agree on the whole "worm" issue. That pisses me off more than anything.

I had a "Microsoft Certified Consultant" come in one time to the server room in Cali and setup 4 new servers for me.

Freakin' installed with the cable plugged in, and all for got the "worm" before the tard could reboot.

I always setup Windows boxes "off line" until I can shut down everything.

Windows 2003 does a much better job of the "defaults out of the box".
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
We had a virtual hosting box that hosted 194 websites, over 400 email accounts, and had 34 different mysql databases, on a single proc 600mhz p3, 1gb of ram, and 2 raided 40gb drives that was up for 481 days ( and 20 something hours )before we took it down because of an upgrade box that replaced it ( it was starting to run DOG slow in the end ). Can you do that with windows? Sure, but setting it up, admining and keeping it patched I bet would be a LOT more work then setting it up in linux. I can think of only 4 times I needed to log into that box to setup perl modules for apache for new customers.

The one plus I see for MS products is it makes more job opps available for IT whereas in linux, you only need 2 or 3 geeks to admin tons of servers.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
I just noticed your quote! My harddrive crashed (4.5GB 5500rpm seajunk ), I didnt have ANY backup setup, thats a totally my bad mistake, not the os
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 07:04 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
I just noticed your quote! My harddrive crashed (4.5GB 5500rpm seajunk ), I didnt have ANY backup setup, thats a totally my bad mistake, not the os
Almost my point.

In this case it was your fault and you do consider yourself on the upper end of network/server peeps, no?

The average person setting up a Windows box shouldn't be setting up a Windows box. But, Microsoft made it "easy", so everyone plays server/network guru.

You have a shitload of companies out there that "just have to get on the internet" and call Joe, who supported desktops for 10 years, and the server interface looks just like the desktop version, how different can it be?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 AM
El Camino

Heheh. Too true. I've been playing remote support for my parents church. They let some guy that can install windows on pcs and is a programmer set up their server.

When setup right windows boxes can be rock solid. Its all the 3rd party apps that usually make it unstable.

I will admit AD is a pain in the ass and can be quirky at times.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Lifer

Re: Its things like this that make me laugh at "Windows Server" users...

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
let alone the fact that we charge for after hour reboots which was killing him.
lmao!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:31 AM
date +%H:%M | grep 4:20

my windows box (stereo system) was up for about 120 days. then i installed an app and was forced to reboot.

"I live my life a 1/4 bag at a time."
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:44 AM

I think the next OS Billy boy comes out with should be named Jacob's Coat, the OS of many patchwork colors!
I'm so tired uf installing updated updates!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Custom Title

I have multiple Sun boxes that have been up for almost a year. The one I'm on right now has been up for 305 days, these things are pretty solid. What kills the uptime on a lot of our Windows boxes is all the security patches, they force a reboot. Every time you turn around, another MS patch is out.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:38 AM
date +%H:%M | grep 4:20

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowstang
I have multiple Sun boxes that have been up for almost a year.
hah, nice avatar....guy like!

"I live my life a 1/4 bag at a time."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Boost is Life

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowstang
I have multiple Sun boxes that have been up for almost a year. The one I'm on right now has been up for 305 days, these things are pretty solid.
Yep. We have a bunch of Sparc Ultra5's that are running on 240 days now. Hopefully our Sunblade 1500's will get here soon so we can upgrade from these ancient (but dependable) machines.

[nocadmin-rogue2]:[2:45am] > uptime
2:45am up 240 day(s)
[nocadmin-rogue2]:[2:45am] >

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement