help with server thing.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

help with server thing..

i want my own server! what do i do? im going to a school auction thursday where like everything is DIRT DIRT cheap and im wondering what all i need to pick up to do this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 11:53 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

My file server used to run abecx.net for the longest time, its a 450MHz amd k62 w/ 128mb of ram, a 10GB, 120GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 40GB drives in it ( I had to buy a ide raid card to support the 120GB and the extra 5th drive ). It also has a cd writer and a dvdrom in it that I use to rip movies.

You dont have to have the baddest machines to run servers, about the only thing you are buying with a REAL servers is perhap realiabilty and redudancy ( extra power suppiles etc... ). IMHO, its better, faster, cheaper to use just some x86 that you have lying around, slap a network card in it, some hard drives and you are good to go.

What would be your purposes with this 'server'?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

storage of hundreds of complete books, thousands of complete cd's, and dvd's i have SEVERAL harddrives FULL of this stuff just laying around and i just wanted to be able to access it all alot easier than swapping them in and out..

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
My file server used to run abecx.net for the longest time, its a 450MHz amd k62 w/ 128mb of ram, a 10GB, 120GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 40GB drives in it ( I had to buy a ide raid card to support the 120GB and the extra 5th drive ). It also has a cd writer and a dvdrom in it that I use to rip movies.
i thought you could just get a power supply and network hub and just link them all together, did you have a different computer running the server? i am confused here
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 12:21 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by zachary
i thought you could just get a power supply and network hub and just link them all together, did you have a different computer running the server? i am confused here
Yeah, I have a seperate machine that runs my server... The most common setup is to have your main machine have the smallest drive, and keep everything else on the actual file server.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

yeah that is what im talking about, but what all am i going to need to purchase?
i could just run it off my main comptuer also couldnt I instead of having to buy another system to run it?
would it make it faster by having another computer running it or what?
sorry dumb ?'s first time to do this here
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 AM
El Camino

file server

Sounds like you just basically want a file server. Like abecx said for your purposes any x86 box with a decent amount of ram and a network card will work.

If your wanting other functionality like mirroring, backups, web hosting, email, etc then add more ram and load a server operating system.

I've built "servers" on everything from old pentium 1 boxes to mutiple xeons with several gigs of ram.

My latest playtoy here at the office is on of those promise ultratrak IDE/scsi raid enclosures. For under 5k I have 1.7 terrabytes of storage
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 AM
El Camino

on a side note if you do set up a microsoft based server and put it open to the internet please install all of the updates/patches
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

wont be online at all, just for storage use, i have an old computer so ill try to use it and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement