Windows XP question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Windows XP question

Ok, my home computer is dead. It was running windows 2000. I got a new lap top and it has XP. I need to load MS Office on it for school asap but I only have a copy of it. I have heard rumors that XP is real picky?? Would this being a copy cause any problems. Some have said it might. Sorry, I am ignorant about this.... I have not tried it yet. Also, what other problems does XP have. I heard it can detect software not registered or something like that?

Last edited by WhtEdge; 11-13-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Resident Epicurean

From what I hear, XP Pro is better about not detecting unregistered software. That is what I run at home.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bcoop
From what I hear, XP Pro is better about not detecting unregistered software. That is what I run at home.
Hmmm, the version I have is XP home. The thing is the software was register under on diff. computer under another family members name. Should this cause any crap?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Resident Epicurean

I honestly don't know. I just built my computer from scratch, and went ahead and spent the $200 on the XP Pro upgrade, just to avoid any possible problems.

As far as unregistered software, I was told that the way XP Home, and XP Pro send and receive info when doing updates is different. Something about XP Pro doesn't send unnecessary info, whereas Home does, and that is how they detect unregistered software.

Maybe someone else can jump in and clarify what I'm tring to say, or prove me wrong.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bcoop
I honestly don't know. I just built my computer from scratch, and went ahead and spent the $200 on the XP Pro upgrade, just to avoid any possible problems.

As far as unregistered software, I was told that the way XP Home, and XP Pro send and receive info when doing updates is different. Something about XP Pro doesn't send unnecessary info, whereas Home does, and that is how they detect unregistered software.

Maybe someone else can jump in and clarify what I'm tring to say, or prove me wrong.

Thanks...

I wonder if it matters if the software is registered in another name.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Install it, but don't register it, and don't download any updates for it. You should be fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny_Stang
Install it, but don't register it, and don't download any updates for it. You should be fine.
Cool but I when I go to use Word and all those programs a pop up box aska me register it. Last time on my old computer I did not register it and after using Word several times it locked me out until I would register the program. It will let me us the program for a while w/o registering but then it locks me out.

Another question, is it fine to use the same software on 2 personal computers (not busniess computer) with it register under one persons name? Sorry, I am dumb about this stuff.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 03:11 PM
Super Jew

If you have XP pro you don't have to worry about how many computers you have it on. I could be wrong on this but I heard that on XP home it sends the mac address of your PC when registering, therefore it is hardware registered and you can't install it another PC. Correct me if I am wrong please!

*EDIT*
After rereading your first post it seems that you are tlaking about Office and not Windows. If this is the case then you can run Office 2K or Office XP on both WinXP and Win2k, I have never had to register any type of office suite.

Last edited by Stroked87; 11-14-2003 at 03:13 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 03:20 PM
El Camino

Office XP does require "registration/activation" 2k does not.

I believe there are some methods to bypass this "feature".

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Super Jew

Maybe so, I have Office Xp proffesional edition and it does not require registration/activation.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 01:13 PM
aka onlya302

Linux the free alternative.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement