IP over 1394 questions... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

IP over 1394 questions...

Can you network more than 2 systems together, using a firewire hub? Or is it just for straight through "crossover" style connections?

I just have this vision of a 400Mbit ... or 800Mbit network, for relatively cheap, and where I can attach my dvd+/-rw, and an external enclosure for one of my 80GB hard drives, and all systems can use them as if they were connected directly to the system.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:32 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

You can have a firewire network with no centralized access point ( i.e. network switch... ) its very insecure, an albiet fast in theory, its useless fast, I havent seen a computer yet that can max out a 100mbit connection all by itself ( unless its a fileserver with tons of storage devices that can load share or something crazy ), no need to have all that bandwidth if you're not even going to come close to using it. Most drives these days transfer anywhere from 20mbps to 40mbps, maybe faster on scsi's.

If anything, I'd wire my place with cat6, you'd save money, be more secure, and faster, let alone you'd be in a networking standard as not everyone whom will come over will have firewire ports, where as most people will have a network card.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, I'll end up going the Cat5/6 route eventually. Was mainly looking for my two computers to share video / audio files back and forth. Transferring gigs at a time, thought a 400-800Mbps network would go considerably faster.

Thanks for the info though.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 02:17 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Back in the IRC heavy days, some guy was bragging in a linux channel that he had a oc3 connection to his house. No one of course believed him, and of the crazy smart guys called him out after he claimed he was getting a 400MB+ download speeds from '0-day warez' sites. I got to watch a huge lesson in ownage and crazy stats of drive speeds and memory bandwidth that I'd of never learned if it werent for some newb
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
El Camino

yeah OC class lines for 0 day stuff is useless unless there is a nice server farm with some high speed disks. Fastest ones I've seen were the EMC symmetrix but then the OS/server it was connected to was the bottleneck.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement