What does this error mean? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

What does this error mean?

Well I know it is saying I am missing a KERNEL32 dll file but how do I repair it? The error will just pop up now and then, and it never interferes with any programes that I am running.

MCINFO caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff7b9a6.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Big Fundamental

You aren't missing Kernel32.dll. Kernel32.dll is essentially Windows, and if you didn't have it, your computer probably wouldn't boot (but you could extract it from the cab files if it were actually missing). You might have gotten a "missing export in kernel32.dll", in which case you'd need to post up the entire error message.

The errors in Windows have four parts, the error, the culprit, the location, and the victim. Culprit caused Error in Victim at Location.

MCINFO caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff7b9a6.

Windows closes MCINFO because it caused a page fault (an illegal operation) in Kernel32.DLL Something you installed is trying to access the memory in a way that Windows will not allow, so Windows tells you "The following program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

So now to the cause of the problem: What is MCINFO? When did the problem start? What did you install that started the problem? What are you running to make the message appear?

Sorry for the book, but I think it's more valuable to teach you to fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 03:34 PM
NES Crew

It also seems that 90% of computers with KERNEL32.DLL problems use AOL.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Big Fundamental

Once again, Kernel32.dll is a part of Windows. Kernel32.dll handles all the memory management and I/O of Windows. It's not a Kernel32.dll problem.

BTW, did you install a demo of McAfee AntiVirus or Security Center? I've heard that it leaves a bunch of crap when you uninstall it that causes problems with your system. Having something pop up periodically that says "MCINFO" sounds like it to me. You may want to do a search for those files and remove them, or look on one of the support pages for tips on removing it. I'll see if I can find something about it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Big Fundamental

BTW, Norton's free trials are just as bad.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3302-...html?pn=1&fb=2
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:47 PM
NES Crew

That link is funny; "Barely better than a virus itself."

Maybe I should have explained myself better. When I used to work at Microsoft people used to call in for support and tell me the "victim" was k32.dll. I would ask them if they have aol and 90% of the time they said yes.

Anyway, good luck with the OS Ric91Stang...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

Good info Vetetr!
Ok yes I do have AOL but I have not used in a few months. And yes I have MCafee trial Firewall and Spamkiller along with Norton antivirus. I had Norton Firewall but it wasn't working worth a crap.
But I believe the error started once I reinstalled MS office with Outlook. If I leave Outlook open for about 20-30 mins I get the error. I will repost the whole error once it happens again. Again so yes it either started after I got Mcafee or MS Outlook.

Damn in reading all those bad reviews about Mcafee I am almost glad I have not purchased the actual software yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement