Problems connecting to a couple sites... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Problems connecting to a couple sites...

I don't know what's going on, or which end needs to do what ... but from home, I cannot get to my website (Talamasca 2), or here. Chris is hosting my site, so that explains why these two aren't coming up.

All other sites work.

Thinking it was maybe my computer, I checked my hosts file, it's the default from a new install (recently reformatted thinking my wireless nic fucked up my mouse ... mouse died when the nic was plugged in. Turns out to be a coincidence, as it's the actual cable on the mouse that's got a loose connection in the usb connector.), I can ping and tracert to both sites, and nslookup. I just cannot view them in a browser (either IE or Mozilla (currently using Firebird 0.7 as my default)) ... and I cannot FTP into my site.

Still thinking it might possibly be my computer, I took it to a friends house, and the sites come up fine. Furthermore, everyone I've talked to about this, can get to it. So now I know it's something on my ISP's end.

They've recently (last Monday) switched to new DNS servers, and also switched from UUNet, to Worldcom, I believe, for their backbone. I had them check the sites, and they cannot even get to them. I've been assigned a new IP address, in hopes of fixing the problem, with no luck.

So, they say that Chris needs to configure the server to recognize me, and their service. Set the DNS to auth1.purelyonline.com, and ns1.purelyonline.com ... however, I don't see that as being the problem. If that were the case, any time an ISP switches backbones, this would have to be done... and one would assume, if it's the responsibility of the web server, that it would eventually propogate the correct information.

As it's going on 2 weeks, I suspect it's not a propogation issue. I suspect it is something on my ISP's end ... but I'm lost as to what it could be.

Again, it's ONLY DFWStangs, and my website. Everything else works fine.

Any ideas?

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Big Fundamental

Sounds like there's a firewall set up to block port 80 and port 21 on the entire subnet 66.207.164.x. It doesn't seem like it's a DNS error if you can ping it and get it to resolve the IP address, it's just something blocking those ports.

Where it is becomes the question, but if you moved your machine to a different ISP and it works, it's clearly your ISP's problem. If they won't cop to it with that kind of evidence, you might as well switch providers now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:31 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by VetEtr
Sounds like there's a firewall set up to block port 80 and port 21 on the entire subnet 66.207.164.x.
I doubt its a firewall... Sounds like a route issue.

See if you can ping chris's gateway.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Big Fundamental

Okay, then it's a router blocking the ports to that subnet. He already said he could ping both sites.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:49 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Okay, then it's a router blocking the ports to that subnet. He already said he could ping both sites.
Post up the traceroute, Chris has his box at a colo and they wouldnt block anything, if they did no one could get to dfwstangs.net.

Also try to open up a connection via telnet to 21, 25, 80, and 110 ( think he is running those services ).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Big Fundamental

I agree that it isn't on Chris' side. It's something with the ISP. Getting enough evidence to convince them to fix it is the trick.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
If they won't cop to it with that kind of evidence, you might as well switch providers now.
Oh, I know it's on their end. And it'd be great if I could switch, but my only other options are dialup (no), or satellite (uhh, no thanks). None of the cable or dsl providers come out to my area.

I can't post a tracert from here, because I'm over at my friends apt. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be able to be on here

But I was working with Chris some more, and we did discover that I can get to the IP address, via https, just not http. Or ftp. I can also get to the site going through an annonymous proxy site, such as annonymizer.com, or the-cloak.com.

I emailed all that info to my ISP, and I'll call them Monday again. I've already told them I want a refund for this month's service, and I'll refuse payment on next months service if this still isn't fixed. Maybe that'll help get them to fix it, rather than losing money, and potentially a customer ... along with everyone I've gotten signed up with them, and anyone they've gotten signed up. I know I was one of their first 100 customers, and I'd be surprised if they have 1000 customers yet.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Well, it appears to be fixed now. My ISP moved me to yet another IP block, and now I'm good to go.

It looks like the root of the problem actually wasn't with my ISP, but with their provider (which I thought was worldcom, but come to find out it's actually Airband) ... because talking with Chris about these problems, he found out that one of his friends also could not access either mine or DFWStangs ... and they're using Airband as their provider.

But, at least it's fixed now. Hopefully permenant.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement