I need help! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I need help!

I left my computer on last night after I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, it had logged me off of AIM and changed the status of dfwls1 and dfwstangs to pages not available. Today, I can't get onto dfwls1 and I just tried to run a windows update, and it won't let me get into that site either! Any help/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Every day is.............

I asked my IT person here at work and he said to ask what happens when you try to get onto a site, ie... what does the error message say? One thing you have to remember is programs like AIM and KAZZA leave your computer vulnerabel with open ports for hackers to get into. I installed Norton Firewall on my g/f's computer and a week later someone tried to hack into her system using an AIM port (at least that's what Norton said), so if you don't have a "good" antivirus/firewall program installed, you need to get one and keep it updated, especially when you have a DSL or Cable modem. I'm here (at work) until 4 o-clock so if you want to send the error info I'll take it to the IT person.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

It was only doing it on a few sites. I couldn't get into windows updates or dfwls1. (those are the only ones I really tried) I tried to ping into dfwls1 (with cruz's help) and it wouldn't respond. I got a virus scanner to start scanning, it said it found something and cleaned it up, but no viruses were detected. After doing this, it suddenly allowed me into those sites. It seems to be better now. Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Every day is.............

WOOO-WHOOOO! Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Super Jew

If you are still having problems with it then you might want to check in your host file adn make sure that there are no IP addresses assigned to those sites that you cant get into. If there are then just delete those entries and you should be able to get to those sites.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroked87
If you are still having problems with it then you might want to check in your host file adn make sure that there are no IP addresses assigned to those sites that you cant get into. If there are then just delete those entries and you should be able to get to those sites.
OK, how do I do that?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Super Jew

Quote:
Originally posted by Amber
OK, how do I do that?
If you are running Windows XP your hosts file will be located in C:/Windows and/or C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc. They will be system files so you will need to open it using notepad. If you see any entries that look like this then just delete them:

64.191.95.139 www.google.com
64.191.95.139 google.com
64.191.95.139 www.altavista.com
64.191.95.139 altavista.com
64.191.95.139 search.yahoo.com
64.191.95.139 uk.search.yahoo.com

Most likely they will all have the same IP Address, do not delete the entry that looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Once you have done that, just close it and save the file and you should be good to go.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Super Jew

You can also go here to learn a little more about it and get some good instructions and helpful tools.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement