BitTorrent and bandwith issues... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Unhappy BitTorrent and bandwith issues...

Ok here's the deal.

After all the BS with Kazaa and the RIAA I started looking arround for a file sharing replacement and happened on BT. It had been working great for a few months until this past month. Now when I'm downloading anythin on BitTorrent it slows any other browsing to almost a complete halt, if I run a speed test the best I get is 10.8 kb/s which is almost dialup slow.

Now i've tried upgrading to BitTorrent 3.3.1 also installed ShadowClient's expermintal BitTorrent client, and the same thing happens. If I use Kazaa and download something not only does it go faster (100 kb/s) I also run a test and get 112 kb/s back. When I don't have BitTorrent running I'm getting 2.4mbs on both www.dslreports.com and dfw.speakeasy.net . So anyone have any ideas what's going on? BTW, the max download speed I've been seeing on BT lately is 10 kb/s which is HORRIBLE especially since it also kills my internet browsing abilities.

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, anything? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

The reason being is your uploading while you are using bit torrent, which kills your entire connection speed, if you are uploading at 8k+, your dsl will run about as fast as a dialup.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
The reason being is your uploading while you are using bit torrent, which kills your entire connection speed, if you are uploading at 8k+, your dsl will run about as fast as a dialup.
I thought so as well but i've uploaded in the past up to 30 kb/s ( the limit on my cable modem ) and never experienced this problem... BitTorrent is tied in to upload, so I have to upload to be able to download unlike in Kazaa where you can download but disable your upload.

I did recieve a new cable modem recently... is there any way these problems could be tied into that?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
this isn't true. if it was then you would have a single speed and not 1.5 down/128k up. i download at full speed all the time and upload at 14k at the same time. if what you are saying is true. then that wouldn't happen.

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny_Stang
I thought so as well but i've uploaded in the past up to 30 kb/s ( the limit on my cable modem ) and never experienced this problem... BitTorrent is tied in to upload, so I have to upload to be able to download unlike in Kazaa where you can download but disable your upload.

I did recieve a new cable modem recently... is there any way these problems could be tied into that?
more than likely you are seeing packet loss. not on your end but the other side. its maxing out your bandwidth. OR if you look in kazaa it has an option to set what bandwidth is to be used. Bittorrent could have that same option and is maxed out. most ppl who use these types of programs use them when they are not on the puter. so it doesn't matter how much bandwidth is being used. and remeber this, speed and bandwidth are 2 seperate things.

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaithis
more than likely you are seeing packet loss. not on your end but the other side. its maxing out your bandwidth. OR if you look in kazaa it has an option to set what bandwidth is to be used. Bittorrent could have that same option and is maxed out. most ppl who use these types of programs use them when they are not on the puter. so it doesn't matter how much bandwidth is being used. and remeber this, speed and bandwidth are 2 seperate things.
Well with ShadowClients BitTorrent upgrade you can set the upload speed to something much lower to prevent from maxing it out, but that did not seem to help at all. The thing is I'll be downloading something on BitTorrent at about 10 kb/s and uploading around 8 kb/s and I try to get on a website it crawls... I run a speed test and it shows up as if all my bandwith is being used up when it's not. In the past if I was downloading anything and uploading, regardless of the speed (and often times maxing out my upload speed) I would get on a website and it would pull right up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 03:07 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaithis
this isn't true.
Yes it is. When you download a file, the computer you are downloading from sends small packets of the file data, and upon you receiving the data your computer sends an acknowledgment back to the computer to say "I have the packets of data ok, you can send more now." These are known as ACK packets, they simply acknowledge the arrival of any data that is sent between the two computers. When the computer sending the data receives your acknowledgement of receipt then it can continue sending you more packets of data, and again when your computer receives the data it simply sends another acknowledgement back to say it received it ok, and this goes on and on until you finally complete download of all the packets of data that make up the file.

Now, what happens when you start uploading to someone and you have no limits on your upload speed? The answer is that your downloads can slow because even though you're receiving the data ok, your computer can struggle to send back the acknowledgement packets to say you’re ready to receive more data. This often happens when the uploading of data to other users uses nearly all the upload capacity of your connection, a traffic jam forms, and your acknowledgement packets are forced to wait for a while before they can squeeze into the upstream of data. In turn, the computer you're downloading from has to wait for you to acknowledge that you received the last packages of data ok, and while it waits it can send you no more data, therefore your download speed can stall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement