Can anyone tell me how to get into a computer with windows 2000... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Can anyone tell me how to get into a computer with windows 2000...

we let a guy go, and he decided to change the password on his computer (the name/password that pops up when you start it up), so i can't get it set up for another guy that we hired. if you don't type in a name/password, it won't do anything. i'll move this to the computer support forum in a bit, but i needed help pretty quickly.

thanks,

brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

anybody?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:17 AM
P.I.M.P.

Most of the time, people setup an account for themselves on all computers in their network as administrator, and give the employee and account as a user. This allows you as the admin to go in and change his account/delete it as the need be. I only use 98 and XP but my sister uses 2000 at home and I think you can cancel out and then create a new user... if not then good luck - maybe theres a backdoor in

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:18 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

If the computer is on a Domain, have your Sys Admin change the password from the Domain controller.

If it is not, then you'll need to recover the password. Do a search on the net for LC4 (aka lophtcrack).

GDI.com also has a password recovery program.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Lifer

Log on to the network using a Domain Admin's username and password.

Or any other userID and password that has admin priveledges on that machine.

Or have your network administrator reinstate his user account and change his password.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Thumbs up

i typed "administrator" and left the password field blank, and it got in with no problems. thanks for the input, though.

brad
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Time Served

What the other guys said is all true. If you still can't get in and there aren't any files you need off of it - since it's being set up for a new user - you can always fdisk it and reload it. At least it will be a clean install.

2003 Sonic Blue GT
BBK CAI - Accufab TB/Plenum - Ford Racing 4.10's - Bassani O/R X-Pipe - Borla Stinger catback - RAM HDX Clutch - Pro 5.0 shifter
Ford Racing C-Springs - 18x9/10 Chrome FR500s - PowerSlot Rotors - Billet Interior - Mach Chin Spoiler - Cobra Rear Spoiler
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by STANGGT40
i typed "administrator" and left the password field blank, and it got in with no problems. thanks for the input, though.

brad
And people wonder why their computers get hacked. lol
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
And people wonder why their computers get hacked. lol
i know...it's sad isn't it? lol

our "Network Administrator" asks me the most rediculous questions, about computers, on a daily basis, and i know that what little knowledge he has couldn't fill up a thimble...

his answer, "i guess we're going to have to erase everything and start over, because you can't get into an NT program without the password...it has a bunch of security stuff that windows 98 doesn't have, so it's impossible"...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by STANGGT40
i know...it's sad isn't it? lol

our "Network Administrator" asks me the most rediculous questions, about computers, on a daily basis, and i know that what little knowledge he has couldn't fill up a thimble...

his answer, "i guess we're going to have to erase everything and start over, because you can't get into an NT program without the password...it has a bunch of security stuff that windows 98 doesn't have, so it's impossible"...
Oh my.

Our network "admin" is the same way. Unfortunately, last year, he would try and do shit all by himself. Then call me and ask me to help him get out of a jam. We lost one of our modem banks because of it. I ended up flying out there to get the mess straightened out.

I'm not a "network guru" by any means, but I do have enough smarts to plan out an upgrade step by step and either ask or figure out the steps I don't fully understand.

My favorite was when someone got the "Code Red" at work (two weeks after I told the admin to get all the computers secure). He cleaned off a machine, but didn't take it off the network. Literally as soon as the computer booted, the "real Code Red" machine would reinfect before you could even login.

He did this three times before calling me. I asked him if he disconnected the computer from the network before applying patches. Silence...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Time Served

If you still can't get into the pc I have a app that will do the trick. It fits on a floppy and is easy to e-mail and setup as it makes a bootable floppy.

Just send me a PM.

New Car;
2007 Shelby GT 500
Steeda CAI
SCT Tuner

Previous car;
2003 Black Cobra

Mods...
Diablo Predator
2.8 upper pully
Steeda Blower Belt Tensioner
AFT-CAT Bassani Exhaust Sytem
Bassani X
Kenne Bell CAI
MGW Shifter
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
He did this three times before calling me. I asked him if he disconnected the computer from the network before applying patches. Silence...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:56 PM
El Camino

There is a linux based bootable floppy and CDROM that you can use to boot the pc with and go back in and hack the registry to change the admin password. It works wonders. I've used it on NT4 and 2000 with no trouble. The funny part was after they laid me off and the guy did a rollback/restore on his laptop and put it back to where he doesn't have the admin password. I told them for a reasonable hourly rate we could discuss the matter in more detail

and yes I admit it I am a "hacker" but at least I get paid for doing IT security audits and assesments.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by 64falcon
There is a linux based bootable floppy and CDROM that you can use to boot the pc with and go back in and hack the registry to change the admin password. It works wonders. I've used it on NT4 and 2000 with no trouble. The funny part was after they laid me off and the guy did a rollback/restore on his laptop and put it back to where he doesn't have the admin password. I told them for a reasonable hourly rate we could discuss the matter in more detail

and yes I admit it I am a "hacker" but at least I get paid for doing IT security audits and assesments.

Is there linux based one out yet for XP? If so could you post up the link?

I've got the NT/2k disk its the best thing out there!

New Car;
2007 Shelby GT 500
Steeda CAI
SCT Tuner

Previous car;
2003 Black Cobra

Mods...
Diablo Predator
2.8 upper pully
Bassani X
Kenne Bell CAI
MGW Shifter
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:15 PM
El Camino

I havent tried the nt/2000 one on xp yet but I would think it would work. 2003 may be a different beast. So far I like 2003 but it does have some odd quirks that not even MS can explain
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by 64falcon
I havent tried the nt/2000 one on xp yet but I would think it would work. 2003 may be a different beast. So far I like 2003 but it does have some odd quirks that not even MS can explain
LOL it figures that MS couldn't explain it! I'll be happy when the first service pack comes out for 2003.

I'll give it a try on an XP machine and see what happens too. Thanks!

New Car;
2007 Shelby GT 500
Steeda CAI
SCT Tuner

Previous car;
2003 Black Cobra

Mods...
Diablo Predator
2.8 upper pully
Bassani X