?'s for Axim X5 users - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

?'s for Axim X5 users

Received my Axim X5 yesterday and have been downloading different stuff for it. was looking at the Zsnes emulator and says I should be running directx 8.0 or higher, went to download and directplay was recommended for pocketPCs.

Was wondering what directX you guys have on your X5's and what other programs you have installed on your X5 and where I could find those programs to download.

Also for those playing with Snes emulators (haven't run Zsnes yet, so I'm just wondering) what buttons are used to emulate a snes controller?

Thanks,

Jerred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Lifer

I installed PocketNES Version 1.0 on my X5. I don't play that often but I've found that mine will lock up after a few minutes of game play. Not sure why it does that...I figure I'll just delete it and go with a different emulator.

As far as using the buttons...I dunno what to tell ya because I can't stand using the center directional button.

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Rolling with the homies

Wish I could help, I Stang U had a NES Emulator installed on the Axim when I bought it from him but I removed it. Hopefully he can provide a little info when he gets online.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:20 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

A good SNES emulator is PocketSNES. Unfortunately, emulating SNES games isn't really the best with pda's, due to the limited buttons. There's an onscreen controller layout ... but as you can only tap one place at a time, trying to do fast paced games kinda blows.

Depending on the game, you can set the physical buttons to perform a certain action/keypress, but it's awkward doing so with the directional button in the center.

It works best with GameBoy and NES emulators. GBA Emulation works ok too ... but still has some of the same quirks that SNES emulation has.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I was really just asking because it is going to be mainly for my favorite SNES RPG Chronotrigger. Might do the NES emulator if I still find it is too hard to play.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 02:52 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Chrono Trigger, and just about any other RPG will be fine, since you're not haveing to murder the buttons to survive

The only problem with the current crop of emulators (beyond the limited buttons) is the emulators are compiled for the StrongARM processor, which is the predecessor to the XScale processor used in the Axim's, and every other current PDA on the market.

While the XScale processor is somewhat backwards compatible (as demonstrated by the fact that the emulators actually work), it's not the best compatibility, and thus emulation is quite slow. When the XScale compiled emulators come out, there should be a huge increase in emulation speeds. NES, GameBoy/Color, and surprisingly, even GBA emulation is very smooth (even though they are all also compiled for StrongARM), because NES, and GameBoy/Color are of sufficiently lesser processing power, that the emulation / backwards compatibility overhead doesn't kill 'em. GBA's are actually built around the StrongARM processor, so getting them to run on the XScale is fairly painless. Not quite full speed, but close. Even faster paced games (like Metroid Fusion, for instance as it's the only one I've tested so far ) are playable.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement