What is the most active PC forum? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

What is the most active PC forum?

Having probs with the new computer. Intel 875p motherboard will not bootup with a ATI radeon card or any other AGP card... keeps detecting them as 2x instead of 8x. I've tried three different boards all different brands.

Just looking for answers... anyone know of a REALLY active board that I could ask some questions today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I found a few... anyway... here is my post.

Ok... where do I begin. I guess we can start when I see an ad in the fry's paper for a new Soyo board and a 2.4 P4 800 FSB chip for like 250 so I think what the hell and buy it as my current box is running a bit slow (1.13 AMD) I purchse the chip and board and come home to install it along with some 2 sticks of DDR 256mb DC ram. I build the PC out of the case with just the power supply (350w), mobo, chip, heatsink/fan, RAM... no video card. System powers up fine, fans spin, LEDS come on... I do a little dance.

Install the video card (9700 all in wonder (AGP))... flip a switch. nothing. no fans, no LEDS, no dance. I grab an older video card (Hercules prophet AGP)... still nothing. Pull the video card... powers up like normal... put it in, nothing.

TRIP 2 TO FRYS: The first thing that comes to my mind is that the AGP slot is bad on the SOYO board. The guy at Fry's bought it and swapped me boards. I go home and find out... same problem.

TRIP 3 TO FRYS: I'm thinking that maybe I have a bad power supply since when I install the video card I may be drawing too much power (yea it's far fetched but we're getting desperate here). I figured my case was a little too small so I buy this big thermaltake case that comes with 7 fans and a 420w PS. Come home... install everything... same results.

TRIP 4 TO FRYS... I go and meet chris the service manager (we're on first name basis after 8 hours of this madness) and I tell him that I don't think this board (the SOYO) and my video card we were using are compatible. We read through the MB manual and it says something about not being able to support 1.6v cards... yada yada yada. I tell him that is probably it and that I'd like to get a new MOBO and a new chip just in case. This time I buy a giga-byte GA-8IK1100 and get a new 2.4 800 FSB chip. Guess what happened when I put in the video card... no dance. I do get an LED that represents 2X_DET meaning that it's seeing my card as a 2x (non supported card). Why is this happening? ATI states my card can run at 3.3, 1.5 and .8 volts. I can't find any jumpers or any switches anywhere.

Please help me out.

Thanks,

Leif Hurst
Dallas, Tx
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:47 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

if it boots with a pci card, and is a gigabyte motherboard, then go get the latest bios update and install them... Gigabyte mobo's fucking suck and have this problem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:55 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ok ... I'll ask the obvious question. Have you tested out that ATI card before trying to install it in the new system? Sounds like it's a dead card. The Hercules being older, I'd guess it could also be dead. It's a longshot, but sounds to me like that's what's happening.

Might also check that ram. Try it with one stick, if same thing, swap sticks. If still same thing, then refer back to previous theory of the video card. If it boots with the video card, and one of the sticks, and not the other ... then you found your problem. Replace the stick that's not installed. If it boots with only one stick installed ... either stick ... then replace both, because they're not working together anyway ... or you can try replacing just one and hope for the best.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:57 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
if it boots with a pci card, and is a gigabyte motherboard, then go get the latest bios update and install them... Gigabyte mobo's fucking suck and have this problem.
Never heard of that ... but just confirms my belief that you should stick with what's proven to work. Asus, Abit, and Shuttle have never let me down.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I would do that but they're Dual Channel DDR sticks... it's both or none. Well something new has transpired since posting this... I can't get the fucking PCI card to boot up now (1994 trident hehe). I think I found the problem and I need to be able to get into an OS with the nex box to fix it so I just need to find a cheap PCI card... hopefully something is laying around the house.

BTW... the ATI card works fine in my old box... that's what I'm using now to type this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement