Trouble with Router - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Trouble with Router

My roommate and I purchased a router so we could connect both our computers and ever since then it won't let me connect to my P2P programs. Does anyone know how to get around this??? Please help me.!!!! If I run it straight from the modem to my computer it works fine but when i connect throught the router it won't let me connect . My internet works fine its just my P2P programs don't work. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:10 AM

what programs? you might have to open up ports on the router and forward them to YOUR computer... what kind of router?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Bite Me!!!

you will have to use port mapping... the same thing if you online game at all.... if you need help let me know

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by I Stang U
you will have to use port mapping... the same thing if you online game at all.... if you need help let me know
How exactly do you use port mapping?? Do you have aol or msn messenger I could sure use some help. Thanks PM if you don't want to give out your s/n

Tyler
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Big Fundamental

Depends on the router you got but for instance with a Linksys you can open the settings with a web browser and change the NAT (another name for port mapping) settings. You will need to know your internal and external IP addresses, as well as the ports that the game uses to communicate. When the router detects something on that port to the outside IP address, it will forward it to the initernal IP address. The only other alternative is to put your machine in what's called the DMZ, which leaves it completely unprotected by any built-in firewall in the router, and is not recommended unless you don't care about security on that machine.

There may be some mention of how to set up NAT in the documentation for the router. You are going to have to apply the concepts to your particular config.

HTH
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Bite Me!!!

just check your your manual about how to get into the program on the router... like stated about it is normally web based....

you will have a box for start port and end port and an ip... you will want to put your machine's ip in there for that port to route to your machine. honestly that is pretty much it... you will have to do a search on what ports the apps you are trying to use are and open those up this way...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

how in the world do you do that?? no a real computer tech here....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Big Fundamental

Well, you are asking for computer help on a Mustang site. In addition, you have yet to mention what brand of router you have. Short of listing the specific step-by-step instructions for every single router manufacturer in the world, maybe RTFM would be good advice...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

well sorry I didn't know it was that big of a deal i was just looking for some help thought i'd try here

Its a Linksys Wireless- B Broadband Router (Model # BEFW11S4)
2.4GHz(802.11b)

Maybe that helps....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VetEtr
Well, you are asking for computer help on a Mustang site. In addition, you have yet to mention what brand of router you have. Short of listing the specific step-by-step instructions for every single router manufacturer in the world, maybe RTFM would be good advice...
have you noticed what section you are in? the computer section, ya know, the place where peoeple ask computer related questions.

anyways, you have to login to the router and setup port forwarding. how do you do that? either telnetting into the router or by the routers ip address in your windows expolorer address bar if your router supports it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 03:43 AM

Seeing that its a wireless router, I bet it is fairly new and will supposed the webpage based setup. Just type "http://192.168.0.1" int your address bar and see what pops up. Check the manual and make sure it uses that address tho. Default login should be admin w/ no password. Check the manual on how to allow ports and all that fun crap.. or the Linksys website should have some step by step tutorial with pictures.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Big Fundamental

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SVTSnake
how in the world do you do that?? no a real computer tech here....
Sorry, man. I misunderstood this post. Thought you were slamming the guy trying to help you. My bad.

Anyway, now that we know what router you have, what specific P2P programs are you trying to config?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't trying to slam anybody...I was just saying that I wasn't a computer techie meaning don't know jack about setting up certain programs. I was just seeing if anyone would have been able to help.

The P2P program I'm trying to use is called Blubster. I don't like how WinMX works and kazaa won't let me use it since I have a pop-up stopper. Thanks for all that have helped so far. I'm still stuck. I went into the router set-up and it didn't show much.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

I finally got throught to Linksys and the guy didn't speak very good english but I was able to do what he told me and IT STILL doesn't connect so know I'm waiting on a reply from Blubster.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Big Fundamental

Looks like the port number for Blubster is UDP 41170. Go into your router configuration, click the advanced tab and go to Port Range Forwarding. Under Customized Applications, type in Blubster. Enter port 41170 , click only UDP and enter the IP address of the machine running Blubster. Click Apply and save and give it a shot.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by VetEtr
Looks like the port number for Blubster is UDP 41170. Go into your router configuration, click the advanced tab and go to Port Range Forwarding. Under Customized Applications, type in Blubster. Enter port 41170 , click only UDP and enter the IP address of the machine running Blubster. Click Apply and save and give it a shot.

VetEtr
Your a lifesaver, i take back all the horrible things I said about you when you made that post earlier ....just kidding. Thanks alot
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Big Fundamental

LOL. It's the least I could do.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 02:58 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You could also use Kazaa Lite, rather than Kazaa, that way, you're not getting something that's going to impregnate your computer with sypware, and you can use it with or without a pop-up stopper.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Big Fundamental

Seems like I heard that Blubster was spyware. Just run Ad-Aware and clean it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement