Trying to install USB drivers, need help. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:28 PM
fast1992us

Question Trying to install USB drivers, need help.

I installed an USB PCI card in my parents' computer. They lost the Win98 CD, so I've been online looking for the appropriate drivers for the install. When I installed the card and restarted the PC, the PC loads drivers, but when I check Device Manager the root hub is disabled. The message in the properties box says "The NTKERN.VXD device loader for this device could not load the device driver. (code 2)". I downloaded a couple driver files I found online, but that didn't fix the problem. The USB host controller is recognized and says is operating properly, but not the root hub. I am frustrated at this point. Anyone have some tech help for me?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Rolling with the homies

Re: Trying to install USB drivers, need help.

Quote:
Originally posted by fast1992us
I installed an USB PCI card in my parents' computer. They lost the Win98 CD, so I've been online looking for the appropriate drivers for the install. When I installed the card and restarted the PC, the PC loads drivers, but when I check Device Manager the root hub is disabled. The message in the properties box says "The NTKERN.VXD device loader for this device could not load the device driver. (code 2)". I downloaded a couple driver files I found online, but that didn't fix the problem. The USB host controller is recognized and says is operating properly, but not the root hub. I am frustrated at this point. Anyone have some tech help for me?

Thanks.
OK, so they lost the Win98 CD and you don't have a driver disk for the USB Card? Or do you have the driver disk for the USB Card? Where you able to find the exact drivers? Who's the manufacturer? I would probably boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the drivers from the Device Manager and let Windows detect the new hardware. Problem is you will probably need the proper drivers and if I'm understanding you correctly you don't have them.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 05:13 PM
fast1992us

The card did not come with a driver disk. Win98 first edition is installed on the PC. I installed the card, booted up, and Win98 recognized the USB host adapter, installed the driver, and then said it was installing the driver for the root hub. When I went to device manager to make sure things were good, the root hub had the ol' yellow sign with exclamation point, and the error message in the properties section said what I stated above. I removed the root hub device, rebooted and tried again without success. I checked online for drivers and found a couple on usb-drivers.com. No luck. I even copied the files to the windows/system folder, removed the root hub device, rebooted, and still yellow sign and same error message. When I tried update driver, it asked for the Win98 CD, and I redirected it to the folder I created with the new files, but that didn't work either. If I had the damn CD this wouldn't be an issue I am sure. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement