Need some Exim help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Need some Exim help

I know its a long shot, but I know Chris likes exim, and maybe a few others on the board. Here is my situation...

We have a client that wants to move his current exim 3.16 email server over to us, the backend where information was stored was located in a mysql database, no problem, I exported the db and imported it onto the new box. The second step was to get exim setup on the new box. I wanted to get this customer on a newer version of exim as a lot of previous version have exploits etc... The only problem that exim3 and exim4 have totally different config syntax's, I don't know of an application to convert exim3 to exim4 conf so I'm forced to do it by hand.

I've setup exim before, but I've never set it up to hook up with mysql before, I've tried searching for some help, but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for ( it maybe because of the tired syndrome ). Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:58 PM

This wont be of any helpt to you but maybe I can learn something from it. This Exim youre talking about, I take is an email client. What role does MySQL play in this situation? Just saving the emails into database? I have an email server that uses Windows 2003's POP service to send and IIS's SMTP service to receive. I have no database
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

The site does email for over 100 different websites and its a lot easier to have a site in one large database then in a shit load of mail spool files, its more practical in case you have to move servers, or upgrade ( like we are in this case ). EXIM is a mta, mail transfer agent, it sends mail and recieves it, sorts and hands it to whatever mail client you connect to it with via pop, imap, etc...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 01:05 AM

Was exim compiled with mysql support? I read a few things today and basically came up with "compile exim with mysql support, edit conf files if it errors." I also saw something about how to convert exim 3 configs to exim 4.. but now I can't find it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Warden

Cruz,
I have a config and all the directions to make Exim 4 work with Mysql, do virtual domains, spam blocking and email blocking, with a web administrator so each domain can control their own email addresses. PM me and I'll send you the directions I wrote up and my config file with all the necessary SQL queries. The only problem for you might be the pop3 server I use. Its rather unknown but it works very well with my setup, never had any problems with it.

-Chris
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Chris,

They have something called qpopper, I've never heard of it perhaps thats what you are using. I'll send you a pm, thanks for the help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Chris,

They have something called qpopper, I've never heard of it perhaps thats what you are using. I'll send you a pm, thanks for the help.
FYI

qpopper=POP3 server.

Chambers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement