DNS Issues... Maybe? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

DNS Issues... Maybe?

Ok so I am totally new to this, but I think I have a grasp on what I'm doing. I have a domain name registered and I have two DNS servers to support it. One of them is abecx's DNS and the other is my dns server. Well, I needed a name for my DNS server so I registered host names with the same people that i registered my domain with (GoDaddy.com). I setup the host names (ns1.iyaracing.com and mail.iyaracing.com) and set them up to point to 24.167.84.56 (my IP address). So now I need to go and setup the DNS server and the POP/SMTP servers so that I can use them. Am I correct in doing this so far? The reason I ask is because I do not know if I have to put mail.iyaracing.com and ns1.iyaracing.com into the DNS servers (abecx's and mine). I would think not, because I specifically told godaddy.com to point those IP address to 24.167.84.56 - Is this correct? Thanks for your help! I really appreciate you guys taking time to respond to my posts, I learn alot from you guys! Keep up the good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:12 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thumbs up Try it now, I moved servers, and I forgot to add your entry.

Under Construction

The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.

Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administrator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are the Web site administrator and feel you have received this message in error, please see "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content" in IIS Help.

To access IIS Help
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open text box, type inetmgr. IIS Manager appears.
From the Help menu, click Help Topics.
Click Internet Information Services.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats the page that i have coming up now to let people know that its under construction. my question was does ns1.iyaracing.com and mail.iyaracing.com have to be entered into the DNS server.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 06:11 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

no, they dont have to be, I setup an mx record on main to goto mail.asdfjaosid.com though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

so i have to set an MX record for mail.iyaracing.com and an A record for ns1.iyaracing.com on my server correct?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

So I got some more information... Went to DNSStuff.com and got the following message...
[qoute="dnsstuff.com"]
How I am searching:
Searching for MX record for mail.iyaracing.com at c.root-servers.net: Got referral to C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 147 ms]
Searching for MX record for mail.iyaracing.com at C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.: Got referral to ns1.iyaracing.com. [took 60 ms]
Searching for MX record for mail.iyaracing.com at ns1.iyaracing.com.: Server failure! [took 430 ms].

Answer:
Server failure. There's a problem with the DNS server for mail.iyaracing.com.[/quote]

So, what I gathered from that is that I have to add and entry for mail.iyaracing.com on NS1.IYARACING.COM ? I think I'm on the right track now
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:35 PM

im lost on what exactlly you have going... but is your machine the DNS server... if it is.. you need an Host Record for mail.

EDIT: pinged your machine... iyaracing.com, it points to your server...

If your server is the mail server... you dont really need the mail host name. just use iyaracing.com (or you can add mail if you want..)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
im lost on what exactlly you have going... but is your machine the DNS server... if it is.. you need an Host Record for mail.

EDIT: pinged your machine... iyaracing.com, it points to your server...

If your server is the mail server... you dont really need the mail host name. just use iyaracing.com (or you can add mail if you want..)
Second Edit: An MX record usually just points to an ip address... so.. from what i gather.. your machine is the mail server.. you dont need an mx record....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

trey,

my server is the dns server, pop server, smtp server, web server, ect. im not sure on what i need to do and at this poing im extremely confussed. ive tried time after time and i cant get anything to work. im running windows 2003 if thats any help to you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 12:46 AM

if your server is all of what you said... you do not need an mx record (you may require one on abecx's server) but.. it really doesnt help to have one on his.. because if your server is down... then abecx's will point to yours (which will be down).

if you are trying to setup your mail to get from another locations.. i.e. pop and smtp information.. use your domain name for both iyaracing.com for incoming and outgoing... it should work fine.. you only need to have pop and smtp when you have two diffrent servers running each protocol.

DNS is kinda of confusing when you first start learning it.. but once you learn how it works.. you will realize it is a peice of cake.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 12:48 AM

also.. pm me if you need to know more about it.. im sure i can help you out... i have setup quite a few mail and web servers from my house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement