USB HD Bays? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

USB HD Bays?

I've got a computer at home that the OS crapped out on my (something about not finding the NTLDR) and I need to pull some files off of it. Anybody have a USB Docking Bay (whatever you call it) that I can slide the HD into and plug into my new computer? My broke ass probably can't afford to buy one right now and I want to format that HD after I'm able to get some of the files off of it.

Or are there any other ways I can do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:57 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thumbs up

Are you going to be around plano area? I can probably either fix it for you, or backup your data on a cd. Let me know

I work right near dallas mustang, plano and miller.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Are you going to be around plano area? I can probably either fix it for you, or backup your data on a cd. Let me know

I work right near dallas mustang, plano and miller.
Cruz, you going to the MMCM this Saturday?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:05 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thumbs up

I'll be at work because we have a huge project that needs to be done, but its just extra time to not be bothered by coworkers, so I wont be THAT busy. I can stop by for a few hours or whatever
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
I'll be at work because we have a huge project that needs to be done, but its just extra time to not be bothered by coworkers, so I wont be THAT busy. I can stop by for a few hours or whatever
I'll holler at you then. Any idea how much those drive bays cost? Maybe it might be worth me buying one.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:59 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Why couldn't you just plug it in as a slave on in the new computer? Since you've got XP Media on the new computer, I'd assume it could read the NTFS on the old drive (if you formatted it as NTFS, that is). That would also certainly be faster than trying to transfer through the USB ... even USB 2.0 would be dragging compared to a good ata100/133

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Why couldn't you just plug it in as a slave on in the new computer? Since you've got XP Media on the new computer, I'd assume it could read the NTFS on the old drive (if you formatted it as NTFS, that is). That would also certainly be faster than trying to transfer through the USB ... even USB 2.0 would be dragging compared to a good ata100/133
To be honest, I (1) was worried about voiding anything if I opened the case and (2) I'm kinda lazy and was looking for an easier (albeit slower) method of transfering files.

Now if hookup the bad HD that has WinXP installed on it will it give me any grief when I boot up?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 05:19 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Nope, as long as you set it as a slave drive.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Nope, as long as you set it as a slave drive.
I guess that's the key!

<---- My dumbass should have known that!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:40 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I didn't even think about voiding a warranty by opening the case. Is HP that nazi-ish about it? I'd think they'd have to allow you to open the case, if they're going to be doing any form of troubleshooting over the phone. Or do they just expect you to be down for 2 weeks whenever something goes wrong, and you have to send it in?

But I do remember my old Packard Bell, and my friends old Compaq's did have a "warranty void" sticker on 'em. Always thought that was retarded

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf

I didn't even think about voiding a warranty by opening the case. Is HP that nazi-ish about it? I'd think they'd have to allow you to open the case, if they're going to be doing any form of troubleshooting over the phone. Or do they just expect you to be down for 2 weeks whenever something goes wrong, and you have to send it in?

But I do remember my old Packard Bell, and my friends old Compaq's did have a "warranty void" sticker on 'em. Always thought that was retarded
That's the exact thing I remembered! Old PB and Compaq cases with that damn warranty tape on it. But I looked at the back of the case last night briefly and it's clean. I'll try it maybe tonight, I've been pretty lazy when I get home

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 02:52 AM

Trust me, it works -- thanks to personal experience! HAHA... Worst case scenario, I have external cases but mine are firewire. However, I'm getting ready to jump on a USB 2 case for laptop drive to avoid the use of electricity...

SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement