Low Level Formatting - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Low Level Formatting

What do I need to get to do low level formats on various hard drives that I've got laying around???

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:40 AM
Rolling with the homies

Why are you wanting to do a low level format Rock?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 02:46 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I've got an old dos based program Maxtor used to ship out for low leveling their hard drives. Was supposed to only work with Maxtor drives (and newer versions do), but it works with all the hard drives up to newer 40 gigs that I've formated with it. Not brave enough to try and low level my 80 gig that's going into my XBox ... took long enough on the 40 gig (like 6 - 8 hours, I ended up going out to a movie, and grabbing something to eat and it finally finished somewhere in there ). I can't see 12 - 16 hours being too fun

If you want a copy, let me know. It's small enough to fit on a floppy, so I can probably email it to ya.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
I've got an old dos based program Maxtor used to ship out for low leveling their hard drives. Was supposed to only work with Maxtor drives (and newer versions do), but it works with all the hard drives up to newer 40 gigs that I've formated with it. Not brave enough to try and low level my 80 gig that's going into my XBox ... took long enough on the 40 gig (like 6 - 8 hours, I ended up going out to a movie, and grabbing something to eat and it finally finished somewhere in there ). I can't see 12 - 16 hours being too fun

If you want a copy, let me know. It's small enough to fit on a floppy, so I can probably email it to ya.
I've got that same Maxtor Disk (haven't seen it recently though)! What does Low Level Formatting accomplish? Is it just to bring up a HD that's pretty corrupted? Rock, if you are formatting it just to wipe the HD I've got a floppy that I got from work that's supposed to completely wipe a HD and it uses some (military or government?) standard. I got it from work and we use it whenever we give computers away to employees or charity. I could make you a copy of that's what you are looking for.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:25 AM

Dark Wolf... can you send me a copy of that Maxtor Zip.. I used to have a copy on a floppy.. but the floppy died..

Just send it there if you would not mind???

thanks
trey

Last edited by trey85stang; 12-08-2009 at 09:03 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Trey, sent.

Jose, I'd be interested in a copy of that proggie

DarkWolf
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Trey, sent.

Jose, I'd be interested in a copy of that proggie
Lemme dig it up tonight when I get home Jay and I'll bring it tomorrow. Bring that Matrox floppy as I haven't seen mine in a while

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:04 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

You never need to low level, unless you have data on a drive that you never ever want recovered....

Just format, less of a headache, hassle, and things to go wrong. Some BIOS's will let you low level.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Pushed to the limit

I ran into a PC hard drive that had tons of bad sectors and appeared useless.

I put the drive in a Mac and ran Hard Drive Toolkit low level format on it and it fixed the drive and made it useable again.

Buying dogs kills.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:27 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by PWTRTXSS
I ran into a PC hard drive that had tons of bad sectors and appeared useless.

I put the drive in a Mac and ran Hard Drive Toolkit low level format on it and it fixed the drive and made it useable again.
Low leveling won't fix errors, it will clear out the PDL and SDL lists and make all the sectors 0 making it appear like a new drive. If dust was on it when it was marked bad, and had somehow blown away before the drive was low leved, that makes sense, but a physical scratch is pretty much screwed in ever being fixed.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:23 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Low leveling won't fix errors, it will clear out the PDL and SDL lists and make all the sectors 0 making it appear like a new drive. If dust was on it when it was marked bad, and had somehow blown away before the drive was low leved, that makes sense, but a physical scratch is pretty much screwed in ever being fixed.
He's right there. Any physical problems won't be fixed with a low level, but it can fix a drive plagued with bad sectors, that simply formatting won't get rid of (again, if they're not being caused by physical defects.)

And I only low level when permanently moving a drive from one machine to another, or selling old hdd's (got a used computer store in town that sells stuff on consignment ... but they're going out of business ) I'd never even consider low levelling for anything else ... takes WAY too damn long.

DarkWolf
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 06:48 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I would like a copy of both those progs Jose and Jay. I have a couple of small drives (3-5 gig) that I have been having problems with and would like to see if a low level will fix them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Lifer

you could use debug.exe
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
I would like a copy of both those progs Jose and Jay. I have a couple of small drives (3-5 gig) that I have been having problems with and would like to see if a low level will fix them.
I'll try and upload it tonight and post the link.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

This is what you need:

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:40 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
This is what you need:

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
It appears though, that only works with Maxtor or Quantum drives. MaxLLF, at least the version I've got, works with every drive.

TXstangnut: Debug, only wipes like the first 1000 sectors to get rid of the partition and file system information. I guess you could get it to do the whole drive, but my guess is that it'd take just as long as a low level anyway, since it's doing the same thing.

Plus, a low level is much easier to do, than having to type in all the MOV's and whatnot needed to get Debug going. I guess you could make a batch file though. Man... I haven't used Debug in a while can't remember all the lines, but I know they're out there on the net.

DarkWolf
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Lifer

I have not used debug in a long time either. I usualy just repartion and format and go from there.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 02:24 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Aye, same here. Actually though, I'm getting some bad sectors popping up on my laptop drive now

Gonna get everything backed up, and low level it ... 40 gigs. Fuck. Hopefully they're not physical, I really don't want to have to jack with Dell's support to get a new drive sent out.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement