Question about CD-RW drive on home PC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 10:52 AM
fast1992us

Question Question about CD-RW drive on home PC

The CD-RW drive started acting up a few months ago. PC was still under warranty so Dell sent a new drive and someone to install it. Worked pretty well until last week. Dunno what kind of drive it is, but it came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 basic. I've downloaded all the patches btw. Anyway, now when I try to burn data onto a clean CD, it seems to take a little longer than normal, then when it nears completion I get a message that says the data could not be burned to the CD and that the CD may be permanently damaged. Tried with a new CD again and same message. I doubt CD-RW drives crap out that often. The PC is not under warranty anymore. I've read the software has had issues with Win XP so I was wondering if it's that or the drive is bad. Maybe the motherboard or cable? I just can't see how a new drive would go that quickly, again.

Let's say I can't get it to work properly, what do you guys recommend for a new RW drive, and from where should I buy it?

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 07:48 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Any computer store around here, or online, will have 52x cdrw's for cheap.

But, if it's a case of the Roxio software having compatiblity issues with XP, try installing Nero, and see if that works for you.

Is that one of their DVD/CDRW combo drives? If so, the desktop models blow. The laptop models aren't much better (16x burns just as fast as 24x ... only without the 50% failure rate that 24x burning has). That's not to say ALL DVD/CDRW combo drives suck ass, just the ones Dell uses. They're cheap as fuck, and it shows.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement