Finally finished hooking up new computer - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Thumbs up Finally finished hooking up new computer

I bought a new HP about two weeks ago instead of building my own. Pretty happy with it. Finally got all the accessories that I wanted and got everything installed. It's running the new Win XP Media Center edition OS which is a version of Win XP geared towards multi media. Pretty slick unit. It has a built in DVD player/recorder/CD-RW along with a seperate DVD Player. TV Tuner with built in PVR. Plus a bunch of stuff for listening to music (minus an FM Tuner which I'm debating on getting or not) and viewing pictures through the computer all controlled by a wireless remote controll. Also installed a TV antenna for local viewing, hooked up a 21" Dell Flat Screen that I bought from blacksn95 a while back, Logitech 5.1, and a few other goodies.

Perfect setup for my bedroom. Wish I could afford a duplicate setup for my TV Room Kinda pricey but my company is picking up part of the tab so it doesn't hurt my wallet to bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 04:42 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Not bad not bad. That DVD burner's gonna be fun

You could, instead of spending upwards of $100 for an FM tuner card, get a little Walkman style radio, and plug it into the Line-In on your sound card. No ability to control via the remote, but at $10 - $20, it sure as hell beats the cards

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Not bad not bad. That DVD burner's gonna be fun

You could, instead of spending upwards of $100 for an FM tuner card, get a little Walkman style radio, and plug it into the Line-In on your sound card. No ability to control via the remote, but at $10 - $20, it sure as hell beats the cards
Ya, if it won't work with the remote I ain't going to screw with it I'm cruising through the MS Media Center Message boards and Website for cool ideas on what to do next. Got a couple of things scheduled to record tonight on the PVR which is really cool. Quality is really good

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 02:02 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Heheh, whatchu got it set at? I generally keep mine at High Quality VCD (352x240x2.5mbit - 3mbit compression) for tapes or TV shows. The finished product looks almost as good as the source when being played back, and isn't too bad on disk space ... about 15megs / minute of video. (Standard VCD (352x240x1.15mbit) is about 10megs / minute.

I have yet to find a use for DVD or HQ DVD settings, they consume massive ammounts of disk space ... and don't help the picture much, if at all. But then again, I'm viewing all my stuff on TV, so that may make a difference on how the final product looks

DarkWolf
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

I'm using the best quality since I still have plenty of space on the 160 GB HD. I recorded my first program on the top quality setting and it looked awesome. Got a couple more recording tonight and I should have played around with the quality settings to see how it looks. My first gripe is that the Guide software that they are using is behind like an hour.

Another gripe is that my last copy of Nero won't install properly. It won't detect the drive. Same things goes for the other CD burning software (dammit I can't remember the name but it's the next best burning software out there ).

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:28 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

CDRWin or CloneCD?

Yeah, that kinda sucks on the burner... I'm betting it's an HP drive, and they like to make things difficult. I know Sony's doing that now too. Making it so you have to use their software

Is there no way to adjust the timezone being used on the guide program? Or is it your cable company that's an hour off ... because doesn't the guide program get the information from the cable coming in? Or is it completely web based? But there should definitely be a way to synch up the time. I'd hope

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement