"Unlocked" Phones - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Served Time

Question "Unlocked" Phones

I keep seeing this on ebay. What exactly does "unlocked" mean and how is it done?

Thanks,

Scott D.
2004 GTO LS1 baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 05:57 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Just means that it can be used with your existing service. You don't have to add it to your plan or make any changes. Just set it to use your number, and off ya go.

At least that's how it's been explained to me. I know someone who just bought one, and it's working good.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 06:37 AM
98 SVT Cobra

OK, but what are the penalties for using such a phone if your caught?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 04:42 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I don't think there are any. I would hope not, because you still have to buy service for the phone to be able to use that service. You can't (unless you're hijacking someone else's account) use them to steal cellular service. It's basically like having 1 phoneline into your house, and 5 phones connected to said phoneline. You're not stealing anything, just having phones in a convenient place around the house. And you can't use more than one at a time, so you're not cheating.

Another reason for getting them, is because they tend to be cheaper than the newer phones (most unlocked phones that I know of, are "last year" models) that have gone out of production, so when you sign up for a new plan, you get a basic phone with it. But say you want a nice phone with lots of features ... like a Nokia PDA phone or something. You can get an unlocked one for around $100, as you're getting it used, since they don't make that particular model anymore, and set it up to use your current service. But to get the latest / greatest model of that particular line, would cost you a pretty penny, and your service provider may refuse to activate it on your account, if it falls outside of their boundaries (as in, if they don't offer any support for that particular brand or model). In which case you just spent a few hundred for nothing, and if you were silly enough to open the box to get the battery charged or something before getting it activated (because we all know it's so cool to have a phone that doesn't work once your service is activated on it, so you get to continue wating while the battery charges) ... good luck returning it

I'll ask my friend about his and find out what the whole scoop is on them. But I don't think there's anything wrong with them, from a legal standpoint. As long as you're paying for cellular service, you should be able to use any phone you wish on that service.

DarkWolf
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 01:54 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ok, talked to my friend, and yeah, that's what the deal is with them. The only stipulation on them, was you have to have GSM based service (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile) ... unless you can find an unlocked phone for the older service.

And I was a bit off on my last statement, in that you can get unlocked phones directly from the factory too. The ones that come unlocked from the factory are ones that (as I said before) aren't offered with any service plans. So you can buy one, set it up to work with your service, and all's well. But most of the ones you'll find online are going to be the "last year's" models.

DarkWolf
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 08:19 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Jay, we just recently switched over to sprint from cingular. But we are thinking of keeping the cingular and reducing the plan to bare bones. We were talking about getting another phone with cingular using our current number, thus having two phones with the same number. If we give those to our girls only one will be able to talk at a time right? Also, if we were to call them and one of them answers will the other be able to listen in and talk?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 07:42 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I'm pretty sure it'd be a "one at a time" situation. So no, the other wouldn't be able to listen / talk, unless she had her ear pressed against the phone with her sister

Only way to let them both have a phone that they can use independantly, would be to have 2 numbers. Maybe check into the Cingluar Family plans. It's relatively cheap, and if you get just a few minutes, it's not bad at all. They'd both be sharing the same minute pool, but have seperate numbers so they could be using their phones at the same time.

Of course, that also would help teach them to stay off the phone unless they need it I'm sure they wouldn't want to have to pay the overage charges, when they wipe those minutes out

But ... I just re-read your post ... it sounds like you want to have them only be able to use it one at a time. So yeah, that's what you'll get with 2 phones on the same number.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 07:53 PM
I wish I were cool...

It seems if memory serves... that an unlocked phone can be used with any service as long as that network is for that phone...

CDMA, TDMA, GSM, etc...

As locked phones are only set to be used by particular service providers.

i.e. a T720 CDMA phone for Verizon could not be used on a CDMA AT&T network. Even though both networks would be CDMA.

The Cobra has run a best of 13.58 ET finally 104 mph on stock engine, no blowers, no turbos, no NOS! Note I said HAS run, now it sits on bald tires in the driveway, but the speedometer and A/C work again!!! 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Zoom, Zoom, Zoom... It's turboed I get three Zooms biatch!!!!

Hey baby... how about a little Boom Boom in my Zoom Zoom?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 PM
98 SVT Cobra

We are just looking at our options for phones for our girls to be used in emergencies where we can get away cheap. Either get another phone on our sprint plan for $20 and have them share or renew with cingular for $20-$30 and get another phone with the same number. Not sure what we are gonna do.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:53 AM
U only live Life Once

Let me see If I can help you with this....I own an agency for cingular wireless..so hopefully I know what I am talking about..LOL..also have been in wireless since 94..comapany was started in 99 ok now that that is out of the way...

OK you said that you were thinking of using the smae number on 2 phones...That was called FLexphone and we do not offer that any longer as it was designed for the business user who wanted the power of the 3 watt car phone but also wanted the flexibility of a handheld. Now we sell car kits that can achieve this.

Also you are correct the phone will ring which ever phone is closer. The idea was the person would power off which ever phone he did not want to use at the time.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH WE DO HAVE A PLAN FOR YOU
as mentioned above you want to get a FAMILY TALK LINE
for $10 a month you can add up to 3 more lines to you existing account all lines would have there own numbers and can make and recieve calls form anyone to anyone.

ALSO A BONUS is they can call each other using no AIRTIME!

plans start aslow as $29.99 a month although I do not recommend this rate I would go with atleast $39.99 a month as this plan has included ROLL over Minutes.( any min you do not use in a given month are rolled to the next month. up to 11 months)

At the bottom is my web site go there or to cingular for the latest rates or you may call me.

A locked phone menas that the SOC code has been locked to a certain carrier...AT&T is very bad about this almost every Nokia phone that I have ever seen that started out with AT&T is locked.

Also the other guy was correct...GSM and TDMA are 2 different bands that we use for service. TDMA is what you are use to if you use Cingular or AT&T Digital phones. CDMA is what allot of the other companies use. Supposedly CDMA is a better service. But GSM is the BEST! That is why we are changing to GSM thus this creatied a problem Gsm is only in a few areas so we introduced GAIT what gait is is the coalation of both TDMA nad GSM aswell as Analog (Analog is what the phones use to be when phones where first used thus it is the most available band for use in the out laying araes)

Sprint tracks Stolen ESns and also accounts that were not paid...If you buy a phone to use on sprint be careful as if there is a bill left they will not activate it for you even if it is going to be on your account.

The only one that I know of now that does not track ESns anylonger is Cingular...thats not to say taht there is not others though.

Dam thats allot of typing I hope I was able to help.

Any ?s feel free to call me at 817-229-6835

JD

P.s you can also visit my web site for current rate plans and answers to other questions.

www.candmconsulting.com

"Let's face it, the average computer user has the brain of a Spider Monkey." - Bill Gates, 2/21/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement