Installing software program on Thiz-Linux system - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 12:56 PM
dolphans1

Installing software program on Thiz-Linux system

Hey Linux experts, just when I thought I was out-of-the-woods with Linux I have run into another problem I can't solve.

How the heck do you install another software program on your Linux system.

You have to download it, and once there, you have to extract it, then what? untar it?

I was able to extract it and I thought that I installed it, but Im not sure.

I still can't open or see the Netscape 7.0 I installed.

I have emailed Thix-Linux support and the Tech service has ben sub-par.

1 or 2 sentence canned responses.

Any straight off the cuff suggestions?

d-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Warden

There are two different ways file are distributed for linux.

1. Binary format. The program has been pre-compiled for your specific system and usually has an extension of .rpm. Noice I said usually, since some RPMs are source RPMS and not the actualy binary. Each major distribution has its own package format so I dont know if thiz linux uses rpms.

2. Source format. This usually has the extensions .tar.gz. That means it was tarred up and then gzipped. You have to ungzip and un tar it to get the source files. Then you have to compile it. You cant compile anything unless yor distribution came with the c compiler preinstalled. How you compile the program varies, but usually follows the format:

configure
make
make install

BUT, you have to read the installation directions for the program you are installing.

-Chris
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
Originally posted by chris
There are two different ways file are distributed for linux.

1. Binary format. The program has been pre-compiled for your specific system and usually has an extension of .rpm. Noice I said usually, since some RPMs are source RPMS and not the actualy binary. Each major distribution has its own package format so I dont know if thiz linux uses rpms.

2. Source format. This usually has the extensions .tar.gz. That means it was tarred up and then gzipped. You have to ungzip and un tar it to get the source files. Then you have to compile it. You cant compile anything unless yor distribution came with the c compiler preinstalled. How you compile the program varies, but usually follows the format:

configure
make
make install

BUT, you have to read the installation directions for the program you are installing.

-Chris
Chris thanks for the response;

These are the ssteps I have taken listed below:

1) I opned the Kngueror where the file download to

2) I then right clicked on it and extracted it. Within this step, you can see the many folders within the software program, so I know it extracted.

3)then it calls for the required directory to save the decompirsed file in and here's where I tend to get lost, because it seems like it has already decompressed or extracted into the Konqueror directory.

4) Then my manual states that users can find in the directory the required installation and user guide. Again in this step, I have no idea what they are referring too.

Installing certain programs:

Here's what your supposed to do;

1) Open Konqueror ro find the required file, which i did.

2) Open "package manager" - well in this step, there is nothing that mentions or states the word package manager.

which then leads to step 3 below-

3)Click on "Install" to start installing the software - again in this step, I never see anywhere where it says installed, perhaps because I never saw "package Manager"?

So there it is, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have downloaded 5 software programs but cant seem to install any of them. I have unpacked them and can go through their folders and read the read me files and all, but I don't know how to install the program.

d-1
4)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Time Served

What software are you trying to install?

I had ThizLinux briefly on one of my machines. It was pre-installed on that $100 computer I got from Fry's. Quick evaluation and it was gone, I installed Redhat 9.0 in its place, much better overall package. Anyway, it might be something you might want to consider.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 12:08 AM
dolphans1

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
What software are you trying to install?

I had ThizLinux briefly on one of my machines. It was pre-installed on that $100 computer I got from Fry's. Quick evaluation and it was gone, I installed Redhat 9.0 in its place, much better overall package. Anyway, it might be something you might want to consider.
Thanks, I've thought about doing the same, however from what I read, all Linux's systems are pretty similar.

Does Red Hat do auto-installs like windows, or do you have to manually install the software?

My biggest complaint is; the directions are not specfic enough when it comes to installing the software or the games.

d-1
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by dolphans1
Thanks, I've thought about doing the same, however from what I read, all Linux's systems are pretty similar.

Does Red Hat do auto-installs like windows, or do you have to manually install the software?

My biggest complaint is; the directions are not specfic enough when it comes to installing the software or the games.
All Linux systems are the same, in theory. They are all based on the same core but the distros are different because of their configurations. It all depends on what software you have installed and how it is configured. RedHat is best out-of-the-box Linux as it is quite much plug-and-play and installs all the basic software you would need. Apache, SSH etc. are all installed if you choose so.

Installing is easy in RedHat if it is in RPM. If you download source code, you will have to compile it yourself, wouldn't hurt if you have played around with software development before. The instructions vary as it is opensource platform, you have thousands of developers doing the work and everyone has their own style.

For convenience I would start from scratch, download either RedHat or Mandrake (I believe Mandrake is based on RedHat, atleast used to). If you want to experiment then Thiz Linux would be ok but you can experiment in RedHat as well if you want to.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:46 AM
dolphans1

Quote:
All Linux systems are the same, in theory. They are all based on the same core but the distros are different because of their configurations. It all depends on what software you have installed and how it is configured. RedHat is best out-of-the-box Linux as it is quite much plug-and-play and installs all the basic software you would need. Apache, SSH etc. are all installed if you choose so.

Installing is easy in RedHat if it is in RPM. If you download source code, you will have to compile it yourself, wouldn't hurt if you have played around with software development before. The instructions vary as it is opensource platform, you have thousands of developers doing the work and everyone has their own style.

For convenience I would start from scratch, download either RedHat or Mandrake (I believe Mandrake is based on RedHat, atleast used to). If you want to experiment then Thiz Linux would be ok but you can experiment in RedHat as well if you want to.
Thanks will consider and will keep group updated. I have spent days and many hours trying to figure out how to install the game.

Thanks for your suggestions,

d-1
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Thanks will consider and will keep group updated. I have spent days and many hours trying to figure out how to install the game.
Let me know what game it is, a link to it, and I will try to install it if I have the time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:41 AM
dolphans1

Quote:
Let me know what game it is, a link to it, and I will try to install it if I have the time.
Here is the site, I believe I have the 2.4 version of the game. Let me know if you have nay luck.

http://shareware.about.com/gi/dynami...downloads.html

d-1
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Here is the site, I believe I have the 2.4 version of the game. Let me know if you have nay luck.

http://shareware.about.com/gi/dynami...downloads.html
RPM package looks to be available. I believe Thiz Linux comes with RPM installed, try downloading the executable RPM package and then installing it:

rpm -i spaceracer-0.2.1-1.i386.rpm

This should install the executable, you then just run it:

.\spaceracer (or whatever the executable name is)

I'll look into the sourcecode to see if I get to run to give you an idea how you compile sourcecode.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:17 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
RPM package looks to be available. I believe Thiz Linux comes with RPM installed, try downloading the executable RPM package and then installing it:

rpm -i spaceracer-0.2.1-1.i386.rpm

This should install the executable, you then just run it:

.\spaceracer (or whatever the executable name is)

I'll look into the sourcecode to see if I get to run to give you an idea how you compile sourcecode.
See if you can download the program and run it. I'll go over to the site you recommended and try download the program you suggested. I hope it works, so let me know, so I have a referrence point to follow.

Thanks,

d-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement