Originally posted by chris
There are two different ways file are distributed for linux.
1. Binary format. The program has been pre-compiled for your specific system and usually has an extension of .rpm. Noice I said usually, since some RPMs are source RPMS and not the actualy binary. Each major distribution has its own package format so I dont know if thiz linux uses rpms.
2. Source format. This usually has the extensions .tar.gz. That means it was tarred up and then gzipped. You have to ungzip and un tar it to get the source files. Then you have to compile it. You cant compile anything unless yor distribution came with the c compiler preinstalled. How you compile the program varies, but usually follows the format:
BUT, you have to read the installation directions for the program you are installing.
Chris thanks for the response;
These are the ssteps I have taken listed below:
1) I opned the Kngueror where the file download to
2) I then right clicked on it and extracted it. Within this step, you can see the many folders within the software program, so I know it extracted.
3)then it calls for the required directory to save the decompirsed file in and here's where I tend to get lost, because it seems like it has already decompressed or extracted into the Konqueror directory.
4) Then my manual states that users can find in the directory the required installation and user guide. Again in this step, I have no idea what they are referring too.
Installing certain programs:
Here's what your supposed to do;
1) Open Konqueror ro find the required file, which i did.
2) Open "package manager" - well in this step, there is nothing that mentions or states the word package manager.
which then leads to step 3 below-
3)Click on "Install" to start installing the software - again in this step, I never see anywhere where it says installed, perhaps because I never saw "package Manager"?
So there it is, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I have downloaded 5 software programs but cant seem to install any of them. I have unpacked them and can go through their folders and read the read me files and all, but I don't know how to install the program.