PDA Owners: Need some help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

PDA Owners: Need some help

I'm looking into getting my first PDA. Does anyone have any suggestions? Models/Brands to stay away from? If I'm spending the money for one, I might as well get a good one.

Uses will include/needs in a PDA:
1. Scheduling appointments, etc. Hopefully an alarm or notice feature for upcoming events.
2. Easy to use "Things to do list" (IE not too much involved in getting into the application to write/read things)
3. Keyboard built in or a convient attachment (whichever works out best
4. Easy to Synch with desktop
5. Decent battery comsumption (I tend to forget to charge things.
6. Uprgradeable (memory, storage space, hardware, not so much a need...but its nice to have)
7. Maybe mp3 or video playback.
8. Decent software support for OS.

So with that said....what do you guys think?? Suggestions?

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 12:54 PM
The Big Matt

I would stay away from Palm O/S and focus on something that has Windows for Pocket PC.

It's definately easier to get used to, and sync's with outlook, etc, right out of the box.

1. They all have that
2. Any of them with Pocket PC have that. The first screen you see when you turn it on, is the to do list
3. They all have a built in keyboard that you can use on screen. Most have an optional keyboard that folds up you can buy as well.
4. Palm and Pocket PC are both easy to sync. Pocket PC has more syncing capabilities with Windows and Office, since both are Microsoft products
5. None have awesome batteries. Typically if you don't charge it within a couple of days, you're assed out.
6. Almost all of them now are upgradable in memory, and some have two different kinds of upgrade slots, Compact Flash, and smart cards, Compact Flash will even allow you to use a wireless network card or a gps, etc...
7. Definately with Pocket PC
8. "

Look at all the brands, really no one brand is better than another. Look for one that had both Compact Flash, and smart card upgradability. I know Dell sells on that is really nice. I have a Compaq IPAQ that's just as good. There are tons of price points, just depends on how much memory you want out of the box, how fast of a processor, and how much you want to spend

Last edited by The Big Matt; 06-18-2003 at 12:56 PM.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 01:03 PM

I just got a two HP 5455 Ipaqs from Hpshopping.com They list for 650 - 700, but the refurb. ones saved me over 250 EACH! They have the best features and some include built in wireless, which we have setup here at work. Palm OS plain sucks, been there done that. Check out HP, I love mine.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverback

3. They all have a built in keyboard that you can use on screen. Most have an optional keyboard that folds up you can buy as well.

Thanks guys. Good input!

I actually meant physical keyboard. How well does the screen kb work vs a "true" kb? Is it down to preference? I really dont want to get into, say a Sharp Zaurus if using that type of keyboard sucks. Generally speaking, the physical kb isn't a space saver....sooo, if it doesn't have hands down advantages, FUGG it. Thoughts on that?
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 01:32 PM

You can get a PDA with a built in kb, but why? You can add one on to most any pda, and most that have a kb have a smaller display. Most of the time if I have a lot of information to add, I just do it on my PC and sync up the pda. I don't really create any documents on mine, I usually just modify the stuff I get emailed and email it back out. If you have to have a kb, the Sharp e740 is a good buy.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverback
I would stay away from Palm O/S and focus on something that has Windows for Pocket PC.

It's definately easier to get used to, and sync's with outlook, etc, right out of the box.

1. They all have that
2. Any of them with Pocket PC have that. The first screen you see when you turn it on, is the to do list
4. Palm and Pocket PC are both easy to sync. Pocket PC has more syncing capabilities with Windows and Office, since both are Microsoft products
5. None have awesome batteries. Typically if you don't charge it within a couple of days, you're assed out.
6. Almost all of them now are upgradable in memory, and some have two different kinds of upgrade slots, Compact Flash, and smart cards, Compact Flash will even allow you to use a wireless network card or a gps, etc...
7. Definately with Pocket PC
8. "

Look at all the brands, really no one brand is better than another. Look for one that had both Compact Flash, and smart card upgradability. I know Dell sells on that is really nice. I have a Compaq IPAQ that's just as good. There are tons of price points, just depends on how much memory you want out of the box, how fast of a processor, and how much you want to spend
This is one of my soap box items...

WinCE isn't the best OS for a PDA. Period. In order for a PDA to be usefull it has to have the following features:
#1 Battery Life
#2 Formfactor
#3 User Interface
#4 Features

All of these items are important. Without them, you pretty much have a piece of hardware that you won't use do to it being too bulky, or the batteries run out when you try to add a new contact.
Or, you might have great battery life and a small package, but if you can't input data into it, then it's a waste of time. Or if it doesn't do what you need it to do, then it again is just a waste of time.

Here's your list from a Palm OS point of view:

#1 Palms do it well - One button access
#2 One button access
#3 Attached keyboard, or as an attachment. You'd be surprised how fast you can pick up Jot/Graffiti if you USE it.
#4 My palm V syncs with Outlook etc like cake. Use Intellisync
#5 My palm V will last a couple of weeks on ONE battery charge, (Generally takes 4hrs or less on a charge) THIS IS WAY WAY better than any WinCE bs device. AND THIS IS WITH ME USING IT EVERYDAY!
#6 Newer palms are upgradeable, but what do you want to do with your PDA other than use it for organization?
#7 WHY? If you want a PDA, get a real PDA that you won't think is neat for the first week, then get tired of the battery life and leave the bitch at home.
#8 Palm OS has plenty of applications to keep ya busy. Granted, it doesn't have Doom or anything like that, but again I stress, it's a PDA!

You left out one other thing.. Formfactor. If you are serious about getting a PDA, make sure to take into account the formfactor.

Those PocketPCs may look cool, but do you really want to lug one around? A Palm OS based PDA runs better on battery, not to mention is generally smaller in form factor, which makes it easier to carry around therefore easier to actually use as a PDA.

If you want a PDA, get a PDA, if you want a wizbang toy, get a CE machine.

I've been using my Palm for going on 5 years now, it does what I need it to do. I don't feel that I've wasted money on a "toy". It's a tool.

That's my $.02.

Chambers
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 02:07 PM
DFWStangs' Patron Saint

Get a Newton!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 02:23 PM
The Big Matt

dude, PALM OS just plain sucks...
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 03:25 PM
get8ch

Dell has the Axim X5 currently. Its pretty nice. You can get them with a 300mhz processor with 32mb memory or you can get a 400mhz processor with 64mb memory...the price is decent also

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 03:40 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Re: PDA Owners: Need some help

1. All PDA's have this feature.
2. Same
3. Most have an onscreen keyboard you can bring up, and most also have external keyboard attachments you can purchase seperately.
4. Depends on what you're familiar with. PocketPC 2002 interfaces with Outlook 2000 and up (and comes with it). PalmOS requires Palm Desktop (which also comes with it), but can be used with Outlook with added software.
5. What do you consider decent? With my old Palm I would go 3 - 5 days before I realized I hadn't put it in it's cradle, and the battery indicator would show about 75%. With my new Axim, I've tested the battery life by going 5 days without putting it on the cradle, and the battery has held up beautifully (no noticeable loss of power, as power meter hasn't dropped under 99%)
6. Most newer ones have this. My Axim has an SD Stick slot, and a Compact Flash card slot. As well as 64MB onboard memory.
7. I think this is only a feature of PocketPC based PDA's
8. Either flavor has plenty of software available. PocketPC based PDA's can usually use Palm based software as well, but Palm can't used PocketPC software.

I personally would suggest a PocketPC based PDA. It's the best of both worlds on software support, and it contains a ton of extra features that Palms don't have. My Axim has a built in voice recorder for taking quick messages, has the ability to write notes in my own handwriting (no having to learn a convoluted "Graffiti" system, or even having to learn Jot/Quick Notes). The character recognition is decent, if you want to use it. I tend to leave notes in my own handwriting though, as it saves the hassle of having to re-write words/letters that don't quite get translated correctly.

On the default battery that comes with my Axim, Jose has experienced about 6 hours straight of playing mp3's before the battery died. I read a few reviews of the Axim that had the same experience. 6 hours of constant high power consumption use ain't bad. I opted to get the upgraded battery with mine. Like I said, I've gone 5 days (and I use it pretty extensively daily), and the power usage didn't go under 99%. It was at 100% for 4 days. So, unlike chamber's claim ... battery life isn't a problem with PocketPC based PDAs.

You also have "One button access" to your most commonly used programs by the 4 buttons on the case. Where the PocketPC differs from PalmOS though ... you can actually program those buttons to your needs, if the defualt "Calander, Contacts, Inbox, and Home" don't cut it (which those may just be the default buttons on the Axim line ... might be different for other brands.) I know with my Palm it was Home, Calander, Contacts, and I think Calculator (Either that or To Do).

While having a straight up "tool" like a Palm is ok for it's function ... it's definitely nice to have the extras (like mp3 / video playback, more complex video games than "yet another variation of Othello") for when you want something to do ... like say you're on a flight. Sure would be nice to plug your headphones in and listen to some tunes. Or play some decent video games. Or maybe even watch a full movie that you saved to a Compact Flash card. You get all the functionality and usefullness of the Palm, AND you get the extra bells and whistles for when you want to use them. And the extra features don't suck up battery life, unless you're actually using them. It's not like they just sit there doing nothing, and consume battery life ... which from the way chambers describes, that's what it sounds like.

And finally, as for formfactor, my Axim with it's default battery is only marginally larger than my Palm was. About a half inch wider at it's widest (1/4 inch on each side) and about an 1/8 inch thicker. Same height. With the upgraded battery that I use, it's about 1/4 inch thicker than my Palm was. Oh the horror! Yeah, I'd definitely rather "lug" that beast around if it has all the functionality, and then some. It's not like PocketPC PDA's are like carrying a laptop around

And the Axim is, according to numerous reviews / comparisons I've read, the bulkiest of the PocketPC's. So if you want a slimmer figure, the HP / Compac, or Toshiba (or other brand) offerings might appeal more to you (though I don't know what kind of extra features that they offer)

Oh, and one more thing, on price. Most PocketPC's are in the stratosphere on price, so Palms have them on that. But the Axim has all the features and functionality of other PocketPC's, but at a Palm price. The 300MHz / 32MB version is around $250, the 400MHz / 64MB version is around $300, which is comparable to the new Palm lines. Hell my old Palm (which was actually a Handspring Visor, but it was really just a Palm V with a different shell ... and a lower price) was $200 on clearance because the new line was getting ready to take it's place. And it had nothing in the way of upgradability/expandability.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-18-2003 at 03:50 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Rolling with the homies

My $.02 Rock, DarkWolf and Silverback pretty much covered things but here are a few extra comments. If you've never used a Palm/Handspring and are pretty hip with Windows I'd highly recommend a PocketPC as the learning curve will be easier. Full compatibility without having to install anything is a plus with using PocketPC. So it is with most MS apps like Internet Explorer, Excel, and Word.

The Dell Axim is a great value for what you get plus you get a Compact Flash and Secure Media Slot (most other PDA's have one or the other but not both). Comes in handy if you want to use SM Cards for storage and the CF slot for a device like GPS, Bluetooth, or 802.11B (big plus if you go with a wireless network at home like I have as I can synch and browser from pretty much anywhere in the house).

The Dell is the bigger one of the PocketPC's. I have a few friends up here using Compaq IPaqs and Toshiba's and they are noticable thinner but also more expensive. The Dell gives you more processing power and built in memory over the others for the money. Battery life is also a plus with the Axim, I've listened to MP3's on several occasions for 4-6 hours on and off using Maximum Power Savings. The Axim also has a removeable battery (main) as well as a built in internal battery.

If you want to check out the "Ax" give me a holler Rock.

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 02:41 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock
Thanks guys. Good input!

I actually meant physical keyboard. How well does the screen kb work vs a "true" kb? Is it down to preference? I really dont want to get into, say a Sharp Zaurus if using that type of keyboard sucks. Generally speaking, the physical kb isn't a space saver....sooo, if it doesn't have hands down advantages, FUGG it. Thoughts on that?
Screen keyboard works fine, but you have to resort to hunt and peck methods. The same applies with the built-in physical keyboards, and the attachable "mini" keyboards. There are attachable keyboards that fold up, that are pretty close to full size keyboards when unfolded. About like a laptop keyboard layout. I almost got one with my Axim, but decided against it, as the necessity wasn't really present, as I was quite comfortable with the onscreen keyboard from my Palm, and from the Graffiti program for taking quick notes (and longer notes, and appointments, ect were done on my computer through the Palm Desktop, and transferred over). But then when I got it, and saw I could literally write in my own handwriting, any "fond memories" of wanting a keyboard dissapeared

Now I want a stylus that's more like a full sized pen, as the tiny toothpick included with the Axim (and all PDA's) is ok for most things, but not so keen for handwriting. I found one at Best Buy, but they want $15 for it! Fuck that. I'll make my own out of a pen/pencil, a pointy piece of plastic, and some glue for less than $1 One of these days

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good input!

When you start getting into a physial keyboard you start to lose any advantages of portability IMO. The screen keyboard works out just fine for me and I usually just jot down any short notes and fill them in better once I get to my desktop and synch up with Outlook. Also the screen keyboard brings up suggestions to use when tapping away at long words which makes things a little easier.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Screen keyboard works fine, but you have to resort to hunt and peck methods. The same applies with the built-in physical keyboards, and the attachable "mini" keyboards. There are attachable keyboards that fold up, that are pretty close to full size keyboards when unfolded. About like a laptop keyboard layout. I almost got one with my Axim, but decided against it, as the necessity wasn't really present, as I was quite comfortable with the onscreen keyboard from my Palm, and from the Graffiti program for taking quick notes (and longer notes, and appointments, ect were done on my computer through the Palm Desktop, and transferred over). But then when I got it, and saw I could literally write in my own handwriting, any "fond memories" of wanting a keyboard dissapeared

Now I want a stylus that's more like a full sized pen, as the tiny toothpick included with the Axim (and all PDA's) is ok for most things, but not so keen for handwriting. I found one at Best Buy, but they want $15 for it! Fuck that. I'll make my own out of a pen/pencil, a pointy piece of plastic, and some glue for less than $1 One of these days
Ya, the stylus is my only gripe with the Axim. The one that comes with the iPaq is more to my liking because it's rounded. There are aftermarket ones but they aren't as handy as it won't fit the stylus slot for the Axe.

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Ok, I think I've narrowed things down a bit.

I've seen the Toshibas in person and I'm a bit partial to those. I LIKE the price of the Axim and what you get with it. But I'm the kind of guy that likes to check something out in person before I ante up and pay for it. Sooo, Jose, when can we meet up so I can check your Axim out? What model do you have?

thanks again guys! I really do appreciate it.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:01 AM
Rolling with the homies

It'll have to be towards the end of the week Rock. I have the 400 MHz Ax. The Toshiba you're interested in, does it have both a Compact Flash Slot and a Secure Date Slot? What's the price difference between the two?

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Here is the link to the Toshiba PDA Toshiba Pocket PC e750
Cost $499

It seems that model is more comparable to the 400 mhz Dell Axim.

But the Toshiba Pocket PC e350 Series is in the same price range as the 400 mhz Dell.

The Dell X5 is looks to be going for $293 until the 26th of June.
Axim X5 with the 400 mhz processor

Do any of you guys seen and major pros and cons that might put more weight towards one or another?

Jose, when you get some free time at the end of the week please give me a call. I'll swing by when you've got a chance.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:12 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose
Ya, the stylus is my only gripe with the Axim. The one that comes with the iPaq is more to my liking because it's rounded. There are aftermarket ones but they aren't as handy as it won't fit the stylus slot for the Axe.
Yeah. I figure I'll convert a pen with a pocket clip on it to a stylus, and just clip it onto my carrying case.

Rock: Don't really know major pros/cons between the two, other than price. Axim has basically every feature you can currently get on a PDA, at a damn good price (as you can see, the comparable Toshiba model is almost twice as much).

DarkWolf
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Is there any chance I can meet up with either one of you to check out the Dell before Thursday since the $293 price ends that day??
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I just realized that Dell has kiosks in some of the local malls. So I'm about to hit one of them up and check them out in person. Even still tho, Jose or Jay...I'd still like to check out your PDAs in an actual working environment vs. a Dell sales pitch format. That is if you guys are free to do so.
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Here is the link to the Toshiba PDA Toshiba Pocket PC e750
Cost $499

It seems that model is more comparable to the 400 mhz Dell Axim.

But the Toshiba Pocket PC e350 Series is in the same price range as the 400 mhz Dell.

The Dell X5 is looks to be going for $293 until the 26th of June.
Axim X5 with the 400 mhz processor

Do any of you guys seen and major pros and cons that might put more weight towards one or another?

Jose, when you get some free time at the end of the week please give me a call. I'll swing by when you've got a chance.
There only con I can see about the Axe is that it's thicking than any other PDA I've used recently. But it's got a good feel to it and it's got some good rubber grips on the sides. If I set it on my center console on the SuperCrew it won't slide off unless I break real hard.

Quote:
Yeah. I figure I'll convert a pen with a pocket clip on it to a stylus, and just clip it onto my carrying case.

Rock: Don't really know major pros/cons between the two, other than price. Axim has basically every feature you can currently get on a PDA, at a damn good price (as you can see, the comparable Toshiba model is almost twice as much).
Jay, I saw (I think) at Best Buy were they sell a combo Pen/Stylus. If I find it on there website I'll post a link.

Quote:
Is there any chance I can meet up with either one of you to check out the Dell before Thursday since the $293 price ends that day??
Rock, I might be free tomorrow morning for a little while. I'll give you a call and let you know.

Quote:
I just realized that Dell has kiosks in some of the local malls. So I'm about to hit one of them up and check them out in person. Even still tho, Jose or Jay...I'd still like to check out your PDAs in an actual working environment vs. a Dell sales pitch format. That is if you guys are free to do so.
Which malls?

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:14 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Jay, I saw (I think) at Best Buy were they sell a combo Pen/Stylus. If I find it on there website I'll post a link.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about for $15. I think I can get me a ball point or something, and superglue a plastic pointy (but rounded tip) cap on it for less than $1, and get the same functionality

Rock: I'm off all day tomorrow (Wednesday) if you want to meet up sometime.

DarkWolf
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about for $15. I think I can get me a ball point or something, and superglue a plastic pointy (but rounded tip) cap on it for less than $1, and get the same functionality

Rock: I'm off all day tomorrow (Wednesday) if you want to meet up sometime.
But this one looks so pimp

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 04:17 PM
11-05-09

Thumbs up

I use a Ipaq 1910, it runs on Widows, and uses SD memory cards. It kicks ass, and does everything you wanted.

They are $299 right now
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Which malls?
Stonebriar Centre, Town East Mall, Ridgmar Mall, Parks at Arlington, and The Dallas Galleria

I hit up Stonebriar this afternoon and looked at the 400 mhz X5. I like it. It's not THAT thick. The Toshiba e755 is just as thick.

Jose and Jay, if we were to meet up in the morning it'd have to be EARLY. I've got to be in the office by 10-11 am...more towards 11. I won't be free till about 4 pm.

I'm just about sold on the 400 mhz X5. BUT it looks like there is a 9 day back order on them. I was hoping to get something within a few days.

What do you guys have as far as accesories?? How about cases? I'd like to get one that has a belt clip since I'll have it with me almost all the time.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 02:27 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Stonebriar Centre, Town East Mall, Ridgmar Mall, Parks at Arlington, and The Dallas Galleria

I hit up Stonebriar this afternoon and looked at the 400 mhz X5. I like it. It's not THAT thick. The Toshiba e755 is just as thick.

Jose and Jay, if we were to meet up in the morning it'd have to be EARLY. I've got to be in the office by 10-11 am...more towards 11. I won't be free till about 4 pm.

I'm just about sold on the 400 mhz X5. BUT it looks like there is a 9 day back order on them. I was hoping to get something within a few days.

What do you guys have as far as accesories?? How about cases? I'd like to get one that has a belt clip since I'll have it with me almost all the time.
Oy! My dawn is around 11 - 12 But I could meet ya sometime after 4 if you're available. I'm heading to the Queensryche/Dream Theater concert so I'll have to take off around 6.

And yeah, it's really not that bad on size. Like I said, it's only marginally bigger than my previous Visor. Nothing catastrophic.

I got the zip up personal organizer (the paper kind) style case with mine ... which turned out to be a waste of money, because it comes with a flip pouch that I use (which I never saw mentioned as part of the included package on their website. I wouldn't have gotten the zip case had I known the flip pouch came with it). The zip up case was designed for the standard battery ... with the larger battery that I ordered, it makes for a VERY tight fit, and it's kind of a pain. I almost got the foldable keyboard, but held off, mainly because I wouldn't have anywhere to keep it, except at the house ... which would also make it pointless, as I can just hook it up to my computer, and type whatever I need. But that may be a future accessory if I can find a portable place for it.

A belt clip would be nice. I don't know if there's a case available with one ... maybe something 3rd party would have it. I don't remember seeing any on Dell's website.

I'd recommend the larger battery. 4 - 5 days of regular use with out setting it on the charger, and only using 1% of the power is pretty damned impressive Not sure on the standard battery, as I never even bothered attaching it (but again, Jose got around 6 hours of continuous mp3 playing out of it. That's not too shabby either) I have it sitting in the zip case that I wasted my money on. I figure if the larger battery ever goes down, I can use the standard one for a backup until a replacement can be shipped to me.

3yr service/replacement plan, and 3yr accidental damage warranty. Good things to have. Really the only reason I have an Axim right now, instead of waiting a year or so ... my Visor got dropped as I was picking stuff up, and the LCD cracked. Was going to cost almost as much to replace the LCD as it would've been to get a new Palm V.

Depending on how much you are going to use it, you might also opt for the car charger ... especially if you don't get the larger battery.

And to round out the package, get some video game emulators for your downtime I'm looking into a few right now, probably going to test 'em out this weekend. And the screenshots I've seen of Pocket Quake and Pocket Quake 2 are damned impressive I think I'm gonna be buying me an expansion card tomorrow so I can load some of these things on it, without taking up space on the PDA.

Jose:

Pimp = yes.
Worth $15 = no.

Hehe.

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-25-2003 at 02:30 AM.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Extreme Clean!

Kelley got me the Ipaq 5455, I love it. Only thing I would change is there is no CF slot, only SD.Sweet deals
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Rolling with the homies

Here are some of the accessories I have for my Axe. Some of the accessories I got from I Stang U when I bought it from him.

• Chrome Cradle

Screen Protectors (keeps the screen from getting scratched up)

3 in 1 Travel Kit that allows synching and charging without the bulky cradle (I've got the plain USB synching cable and a seperate cigarette lighter charger if you are interested)

3 pack of Dell Stylus's (either of you guys lose one I've got an extra for ya )

802.11b Compact Flash Card

• (1) Leather Case
  • (2) 128 MB SD Cards (both for sale)
  • (1) 256 MB SD Card
  • Cable for connecting Motorola V-60 (for sale)

Things I plan on getting.

Bluetooth Compact Flash Card (my phone has Bluetooth built in so I can use it to "dial in" to the internet when I'm not at home or on the LAN at work)

Rhino Skin Case

• Bluetooth GPS Device
  • (1) 256 MB SD Card
  • Car Mount Kit

Couple of good resource and accessories websites.

http://www.pocketpc.om
http://www.mobileplanet.com
http://www.aximsite.com/

Along with games (I hardly play any as I don't have much down time) you can also download movies and videos to watch on the PDA. There are a ton of applications out there so you won't get to bored if you spend a lot of time waiting around.

Last edited by evil jose; 06-25-2003 at 03:44 PM.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
Kelley got me the Ipaq 5455, I love it. Only thing I would change is there is no CF slot, only SD.Sweet deals
Ya, not having a CF Slot really cut's down on functionality of a PDA. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are two of the bigger accessories out there that you can't use.

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 04:24 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

That Rhino Skin is pretty sweet. I almost got one with mine. But I don't think it'll work with the larger battery?

If it will, I'm getting one

DarkWolf
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
That Rhino Skin is pretty sweet. I almost got one with mine. But I don't think it'll work with the larger battery?

If it will, I'm getting one
There was one that was reviewed on http://www.aximsite.com/ that was pretty cool. It combined the protection of the Rhino along with a flip down holster that you could attach to your belt. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are two of the bigger accessories out there that you can't use.
I don't need the cards, the 5455 has both built in
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
I don't need the cards, the 5455 has both built in
Is that the $700 iPaq? Still, you lose out on some accessories

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Is that the $700 iPaq? Still, you lose out on some accessories
Naa, We got the expansion packs ordered. It is the $700 one, but Kel found them for $400. I have a FM radio CF card, modem CF card and few other goodies. Is there still anything I'm missing out on?
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
Naa, We got the expansion packs ordered. It is the $700 one, but Kel found them for $400. I have a FM radio CF card, modem CF card and few other goodies. Is there still anything I'm missing out on?
So how does the expansion slot work?

post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
So how does the expansion slot work?
It is a piggyback type of set up. The ones Kel ordered have an extra battery and a CF slot. Let me find a link.

Edit: Expansion pack

I'll show it to you this weekend.

Last edited by Samhain; 06-25-2003 at 08:33 PM.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Dude, I think I'm getting a Dell. I'm just trying to determine whats worth the money at this point. I'd like to get the 3 year accidental coverage..but it's required that I also buy the 3 year warranty that does the free exchange. $80 for the 3 year warr. and $40 for the accidental insurance. Is it worth $120 worth the free replacement cost for 3 years. What I'm also worried about is the fact that they would give me a refurb model as a replacement.

Thoughts?
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 05:54 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I used to work for Dell (Stream actually, but on the Dell contract) They don't replace anything with refurbs. Anything refurbed gets sold as used or auctioned off. So if something happens 2 years down the road, and the X5 isn't available anymore, but the X7 is, then you're getting the X7

So yeah, it's worth the $120 for the warranty.

Plus, I'm only having to pay $17 / month for mine on the preferred credit plan. So it's not really breaking the bank. But if you wanna pay for it all at once, that's cool too, and will save ya some money in the long run. Once I get my car sold and can afford to pay more, I'll make a couple $100 payments to get it taken care of in a few months

DarkWolf
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well, it looks like I'm now the owner (soon to be at least) of a new 400 mhz Dell Axim X5.

Regular price for it was $325. Dell had a special offer of 10% off...that came out to $293. I was able to also use a $45 coupon. I ended up purchasing the 2 year Advanced Exchange and Complete Care Accidental coverage. With the free shipping my total $352.90. Hows that sound to you guys??
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 12:41 AM
Rolling with the homies

So what all does it come with? Do you get the cradle or does it use the USB Cable?

post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
So what all does it come with? Do you get the cradle or does it use the USB Cable?
I get the cradle and all the stuff that would come with the 400 X5. Only options that I added in was the insurance stuff. Without that, my X5 would have cost about $293 + tax - $45; roughly $272.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 05:35 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Thumbs up

SWEET! Welcome to the fold

You'll be nabbing emulators, playing mp3s on the go, and converting movies in no time

DarkWolf
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 06:15 AM

For what its work I have the palm 515 and a new 3955 Ipaq
And I must say I like the Ipaq a lot better.
The Ipaq has the better screen, comes with 64 meg ram, can play mp3, s, voice record, as well as pocket excel, word, outlook.
and the sync is better you don't need a converter to use any of the above programs.
the only thing about the palm is software there is still more out there for it that then pocket pc but there’s more is being made all the time for the pocket pc.
If you got the dell you still have basically the same thing as a pocket pc and you will find the more you use it you wonder how you got along with out it.
Allen
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 07:00 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Allenlp1
If you got the dell you still have basically the same thing as a pocket pc and you will find the more you use it you wonder how you got along with out it.
It's not basically. It is a PocketPC. Dell just has the balls to make it almost half the price of the nearest competitors comparably equipped model. Looking at numerous side by side comparisons, benchmarks, and real world stress tests, the Dell either performed as well, nearly as well, or better than the Ipaqs and Toshibas that are twice as expensive. It's not just the "best bang for the buck" one could argue quite effectively that it's "the best bang, period"

DarkWolf
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Rolling with the homies

This is what you need Rock!

post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:44 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

DarkWolf
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

This is what I'm looking to get. BTW, it looks like my X5 is on the truck for delivery. WHOO HOO!

post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
This is what I'm looking to get. BTW, it looks like my X5 is on the truck for delivery. WHOO HOO!

That's a pretty slick looking case Rock, I like that it's got pockets for the SD Memory. Might have to get one now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement