Cutting and Crimping my own network cables? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Cutting and Crimping my own network cables?

Has anyone ever cut and crimped their own cat 5 cables?? I need to connect a total of 3 computers to my router to get online...two upstairs and one downstairs. I was planning on getting some cable from Home Depot and make some wall-plate outlets.

Are there any tips when making the cables for the best transfers?
Or anything I need to know before hand??

Thanks!

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:02 PM

making your own cables.. with the male adapter?? I have never done that...

there is a tool that makes it a snap for the female ends though, the one i have ai got at frys, for like 6 bucks... made by paladin tools.

works great for female ends on Cat3 too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:07 PM

radioshack has a tool that I guess is decent(for like 50 bucks)....cat5 is kinda pain in the ass if you have never done it before. CAT5 is also expensive. It wsa jsut as cheap for me to run a wireless network as usin cable because I need so much and the tool aint cheap(diff than the tool used on cat3). I would say the easiest way would be measure the lenghts you'll need ad some footage and ask the guy at your local comp shop to crimp em on for ya.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:09 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If you want to do it right, you need a crimping tool that supports RJ45. You can get it at Home Depot.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:11 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

I did it with Cat 5 and ends from Lowe's. Wired through attic to living room and did an outlet there. Real easy. Punching down the female outlets is harder than the male cable ends, but is still easy. Just be patient, and don't cut to short in case you have to cut off the end and repunch or recrimp.

Tips-

Buy non-plenum CAT-5. Much cheaper. Ask for it or they might steer you to the plenum CAT-5. If you're doing indoor, non-plenum is fine.

When you run lines, try not to run them in proximity of your electrical lines in the walls. I ran my parallel to the cable coax in the walls, and used the coax/CAT-5 dual outlet plates.

Buy twice as much cable as you think you need, or else on your longest run, you'll find that you're about a foot short.. :-)

Do a search.. lots of tips on how to crimp ends, crossover vs. straight, etc.

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Warden

I make my own cables all the time.

If you are using wall plates, you dont need a crimper, the rj45 jacks are punch down style and come with a mini punch down tool. You then use a regular cat5 patch cables to run from the wall to the PC.

Running cat5 in complete residental homes isnt easy, with the headers, insulation and other crap. Unless you need a 100mb network, I would recommend wireless.

The statement above about plenum vs non plenum isnt quite right. Plenum cat5 is more expensive, but it is because its plasitc coating does not produce toxic fumes when burned, non-plenum does produce toxic fumes when burned. Plenum is supposed to be used when run through air ways without any conduit.

You can buy a 1000' box of non-plenumj cat5e at home depot for $58. The ends are expensive, better to get that stuff at microcenter.

Last edited by chris; 06-12-2003 at 04:17 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:14 PM

i agree with eveyone that said wireless
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:14 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

Posts mentioning prices..

CAT-5 non-plenum .09 a foot at Lowe's
RJ-45 crimper (also does phone ends) with stripper/cutter built in, $16 at Lowe's..

The ends were the most expensive part..

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

awesome thanks guys! I really appreciate the input.

I thought about a wireless set up. What would be the cost for something like that? I guess I'd end up needing a wireless card for one laptop and one desktop and then the receiver? Cost? Brands? All the computers here at the house are mainly for internet connection. We don't have to deal with HIGH rates of transfer. As long as we get our broadband connections we're happy.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 08:31 AM
KJ94GT

Rock,
I have a crimp tool, and a spool of CAT5 at the house if you want me to make you some cables. Just PM me and tell if you want crossover or straight-thrus. I'll need some connectors tho, but let me know.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock
awesome thanks guys! I really appreciate the input.

I thought about a wireless set up. What would be the cost for something like that? I guess I'd end up needing a wireless card for one laptop and one desktop and then the receiver? Cost? Brands? All the computers here at the house are mainly for internet connection. We don't have to deal with HIGH rates of transfer. As long as we get our broadband connections we're happy.
Netgear WGR614 x1
Dlink DWLG520 xNumber of Computers

That's all there really is to it. You can also get wireless adapters to hang your Parallel printer off of wireless as well.

I personally like the Netgear wireless access points due to their size. They aren't a huge box like the Dlink/Linksys. You put your access point near your broadband connection, and set it up as the router. the WGR614 has a 4 port switch on the rear, so you can connect a machine if it's close enough via regular network cable instead of buying a wireless card. Other machines will just need a card installed.

Real Easy to do. And it works okay for browsing the web. You could do it a tad bit cheaper by using the 802.11b, but why go with an older standard? 802.11g works great, and falls back to 802.11b if needed.

Chambers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement