Trouble loading Win XP Pro on new box - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Trouble loading Win XP Pro on new box

When it goes through the copying of files it'll "get stuck" and not be able to find a .DLL file. I have to click retry and then it will find out. Eventually it just either pauses or I get this weird error message (I'll try to get the wording on it later) and I'll have to reboot and try again. Then it will get stuck on finding a (different) .DLL again. What's the deal here? I don't think the CD is screwed but I'll take a look for scratches and/or another copy. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:41 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Most likely bad hardware. Post up the error when you find out. I know when I was loading XP on my HECC, it refused to install. Later found out that it was due to the memory not being the right memory for my mobo (I've got pc100, the board only goes down to pc133, so it's causing my memory to be overclocked a tad). All I did was remove one of the sticks, and it then installed perfectly. I put the stick back in after the install, and it's working fine.

One of these days I'm going to pick up some pc2100...

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Thanks Jay, I'll post up more details later. Might also try a diffferent OS like Win2000.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:47 AM

Check your BIOS and make sure everything is setup as should be. XP is a wussy bitch on install -- I'm sure your copy is fine. I've had plenty of experience doing it w/ sound/net/ACPI/etc. disabled and forget it. XP is designed to identify and provide drivers for everything and often gets trapped fight with a bull in a closet during setup if everything isn't ready to roll.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

What exactly should I be looking for in the BIOS Sean???

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Fabrique National Fan

what kind of processor and ram are you using?

if its a p4p 800 then in the booklet there are certain sticks of ram you can use..my friend aaron was having the same issues and tried a different stick of ram and it installs perfectly
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Here is a screen shot of the error message I get when the Win XP install fails.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 02:00 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Did you try messing with swapping memory in and out?

Also, do a search on that stop error ... most likely will lead you right to the answer. That's different than the goof I was getting, but I'm still willing to bet it's something hardware at fault.

DarkWolf
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Lifer

I would think it could be a bad CD or ROM drive

are you installing form a burned CD? Is it a fairly new drive you are reading the disc with? I have gotten similar results reading burned CD's and/or older CDROM drives during OS install.

Do youhave a bunch of odd, older, no-name hardware installed? Try removing everything except whats absolutely necessary.

I interpret your bluescreen as a possible memory address error but not sure.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

What a peice of crap computer this POS is OK, yes I'm installing the OS from a "burned backup" that I have. Never had a problem installing from it on several name brand computer's including my 3 year old desktop. Gave up trying to load XP so I tried Win ME. Couple of weird issues but finally got the install going and entered the names, Time Zone, etc. and it went through it's reboot. Came back with a fucking Windows Protection Error. I bought this POS for my cousin from a guy in Plano off of eBay. I feel like running by his house and chunking it through his window I can't remember the last time I had this much trouble installing an OS. Guess I'm going to open up the case and give it a look see.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Thumbs down

winblows..
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:23 PM
tommitls

the problem with your computer is definitely bad hardware. Most likely it is the ram. You need to either change the ram or if you're using multiple sticks, start taking out one by one.

I've had the same situation before and it was the ram that went bad. Let us know what happens.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 08:37 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Most likely the RAM

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;Q315335

Take out one stick as suggested.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Haven't been able to do much with this box lately. Found out that it will boot into safe mode but not normal mode, still getting a Windows Protection Error. Opened the box and it has one stick of 128 MB PC133 RAM. I don't have any other memory to swap into it so I tried just swapping the slot it was in. No difference. Anybody have a good stick of PC133 I can borrow for a day? I'd hate to waste money buying another stick if that's not what the problem is. Hell, I'll bring the box over and swap it in and try it there if that makes things easier for anybody willing to let my try some different RAM.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Think I found out what the problem is (was)... well I dropped the computer off with the guy I bought it from on eBay. First thing he asked me was what OS I installed, told him XP Pro and 2000 Pro. He then asked if it was an old monitor I was using and I told him yes. He said he has experienced hardware problems with XP (wasn't sure about 2000) with installing with an old monitor. Sounded plausible. Still left it with him so I'll see what happens tomorrow when I pick it up from him. If that's all it was I'm going to feel pretty stupid

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Lifer

Exclamation Dude - there is no way.....

that a funky monitor is going to produce a fatal bluescreen error.

I have a hard time logically figuring how a monitor could crash a PC. The PC (or video card) controls the monitor as a separate device not the other way around.

Will be very interesting to hear what he finds. Be sure and let us know
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 04:58 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Fuck. Lost my post.

Anyway, it's plausible, but unlikely that the monitor would cause it. I wouldn't have even believed a monitor could cause those kinds of problems, unitl I had a monitor that would prevent a computer from posting.

DarkWolf
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Well I'm glad I left it with him so he could install an OS, figured if there's a problem he can deal with it as I've had it with that computer. I've never had so much trouble installing an OS before.

I found it hard to believe since it worked fine on a 400 MHz HP I got from work and installed XP Pro on. But maybe it's something specific to the MB that was on the eBay computer. Who knows... I'll post up the results tomorrow when I pick it up.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Time Served

Take all your pci cards out, but leave your video card. XP hates network cards and modems. Thats what I had to do. Ram should be okay. But if that doesn't work, find someone that will let you test the ram.

Good luck
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Problem is solved, OS is installed. Took it home and all is well. Guess it was the monitor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement