FTP across broadband networks - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question FTP across broadband networks

I am on the Comcast network in S. Grand Prairie and am trying to FTP to a buddy of mine in FTW that is on the Charter system. I have had other people across the planet successfully hookup to my FTP server with no problem but this time am having all sorts of connection problems.

First off, I am using IIS v5.0 (I think) on ADV SRVR 2K. He is running WIN98 with Cute FTP. He cannot even get a response back from my server (and yes the FTP service is running). We have tried changing to random ports on both ends and still he cannot connect to me. I am using a router with port forwarding confgured to route all FTP traffic to my server, however we unhooked it and placed the server directly online and still he cannot connect.

I can ping his IP, however he cannot ping mine. This does not surprise me as I am sure they are not passing ping requests on to their residential networks for traffic control. Still, I think he should be able to connect to my FTP serv. How are they able to identify and kill those FTP packets before they get to my machine if they are on a different port then 21?

Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited by miketyler; 05-29-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:56 PM

can he telnet to your server on port 21, or any other port??? sounds like an issue with his ISP blocking traffic to certain ip's.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Warden

Make sure yor friend has it set to passive mode for the FTP settings. Thats they only way it will work through the firewalls. Do you have your router setup to respond to pings? What is the traceroute results?

-CHris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement