Need suggestions on CD burner ASAP - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Exclamation Need suggestions on CD burner ASAP

Yes, i'm going to join the 90's and finally buy a CD burner. The old @home IT budget has been constrained for awhile but the burner is now a requirement since the hard disk with all of our pictures on it has been making the click of death and I need to copy the files somewhere safe.

So...... any outstanding brands to look for? What about DVD burners for data backups?

Inquiring minds really, really need to know ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Bite Me!!!

my next burner will be a dvd burner... you can backup a ton and data and have more fun with them... the prices are coming down so that helps... as far as brands go... I am not one to be stuck on a brand... they all seem to do just fine for me
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:59 PM
98 SVT Cobra

You can get a good DVD burner for under $200 now. I would go that route, if you are wanting to back up a whole drive. CD's are only going to hold a max of around 900 meg. (I think that is the largest disk?)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:11 AM
Warden

You can get a 52x internal IDE CDRW for $20 after rebates. DVD Burners start at about $170 after rebates. I am not sure there is much difference among brands. I have gotten the cheap ones recently and not had any problems.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:48 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Do research on DVD burners, some are more compatiable then others i.e. if you want to burn dvd movies, some burners work with 90% of dvd players, some only work with 5%....

CDRs are pretty much all the same, I only buy the cheap ones.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
IA2

Thanks, guys.

Looks like I'll just pick up a cheap CDR and get the DVD burner later.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Woo Hoo score!!! (at least I think it's a score )

HP dvd/cd writer - $279 - $50 best buy gift certificate for buying that model

$229 out the door (sort of...)

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Yes I'm...

Sounds pricey (like all DVD burners IMHO) but good!

If you do decide on CD burning only, I recommend Lite-On. Sounds cheesy, but they generally have the best success rate when burning and best compatibility.

'98 Camaro SS: Incon twin turbo. Sold
'99 Camaro SS: Heads/cam/bolt-ons. Sold.
'91 Camaro RS: Stock.

2010 Camaro SS: Hell yes.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 07:21 AM
Lifer

CDR/RW drives now are a dime a dozen

Liteon was known as a cheap brand but more recently has won accolades in several of performance tests. Plextor has always been king of the road but you would pay a little more.

When you step into the DVD+R/-R I would recommend -R for the time being. The media is cheaper and more set top players support the -R format.

The +R format is newer and promises faster burn speeds, but the media is more expensive and according to several internet sources isnt compatible with alot of set top boxes out there now.

The DVD format war is still ongoing, do your homework and check on compatiblity with your existing DVD players (assume you will want to see them on your TV) before taking the plunge
good luck

Oh and BTW - ck out www.headlinedeals.com for some of the best deals you 'll find on the net for PC hardware.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 02:25 PM

if youre gonna get a CD-R definetely go w/ TDK. best buy has them (here in houston) for like $70 and thats a 52x

my first burner (4x) was a cheap one that i got at circuit city for about $289 -- it was crap. after that i got a 12x TDK which was awesome. i upgraded to the 40x TDK when i thought my 12x died on me. i put it away because i didnt want to throw it out, i found it the other day opened it up and found out there was a CD stuck in it. i took the cd out plugged it in and it works great, after a year of sitting in a box. its in my dads machine now and works w/ no probs at all. i defeintely recommend TDK. awesome brand!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Super Jew

Since the price of CDRs has dropped so dramatically I would only go with the name brands to play it safe. doesn't mean that the off brands aren't as good but if by chance the things goes south on you, you have a better chance of getting good Cust. Service form the larger companies. I would personnaly recommend Plextor, I have never had a problem with any of my plextors, I also am using a Sony CDR in another machine and never had a problem.

A good site to find good deals on is Overstock.com

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
IA2

I burned a DVD and a CD this weekend in the new HP drive and it worked flawlessly. Time to start downloading some linux ISO images and build up a play box
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 04:01 AM
Time Served

i know you already got a CDR drive but just for anyone else looking for one. i would go with the Yamaha CRW-F1 CD RECORDER 44X 24X 44X if for nothing else but this bad ass feature.

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...cdrw/crwf1.asp

[email protected] TECHNOLOGY
[email protected] is an exclusive Yamaha feature that allows text and images to be drawn on the unused portion of a CD-R disc. You can now etch a memo, your signature, photo thumbnails or your company's logo right onto the bottom of the disc.

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/sample_cd.asp

And for only 95 bucks its not to expensive to try it out
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 03:00 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, it's a cool feature, but ultimately not very useful. It actually burns the disc, so the portion that your "[email protected]"ing is unusable by data. Effectively making a 700MB CD only usable for about 500MB ... or less depending on how big you want the graphic to be.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally posted by xtremcoder
if youre gonna get a CD-R definetely go w/ TDK. best buy has them (here in houston) for like $70 and thats a 52x

my first burner (4x) was a cheap one that i got at circuit city for about $289 -- it was crap. after that i got a 12x TDK which was awesome. i upgraded to the 40x TDK when i thought my 12x died on me. i put it away because i didnt want to throw it out, i found it the other day opened it up and found out there was a CD stuck in it. i took the cd out plugged it in and it works great, after a year of sitting in a box. its in my dads machine now and works w/ no probs at all. i defeintely recommend TDK. awesome brand!
I got the 52x TDK not to long ago.. Works great

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement