Whats Happening?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Whats Happening??

My last computer monitor took a crap on me and wouldnt work anymore so we just got a new one and on the old one when we would start the computer it would get slightly blurry but still able to make out what the computer was showing and then get so bad where you couldnt see much, well we got a new computer monitor today and it keeps doing the sightly blurry from time to time, AbecX told me something about refreshing the monitor?? Anyone have any ideas?? And the video card is less than a month old!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 02:06 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You can try adjusting the refresh rate in your display properties. Set it to something like 75Hz or higher.

Also, you can try degaussing the monitor ... there should be an on screen display panel on the monitor, or some buttons / dials on the monitor. Look for something like looks like an upside down 'U' with a backslash '\' through it.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

HMM....I dont see anything like suggested to adjust the refresh rate?? And the only buttons on the monitor are buttons to widen and shorten the screen?? I am computer illiterate so step by step would help.......and my OS is win 98!! Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 03:36 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Is there not a menu button on the monitor? How old is this monitor? If it's less than 6 years old, it should definitely have an on screen display. Look for a button labled OSD, or Menu. If it's a new monitor, did it not come with an instruction booklet that would show you how to access the osd? What brand and model number is this monitor? There might be online documentation for it.

To adjust the refresh, go into your display properties (Control Panel > Display), click on the last tab which should be Settings, then click the Advanced button. Now you should see a set of tabs, one's probably Adapter, another Monitor, and so on. The refresh is usually under either Adapter or Monitor. It'll be a pull down list ... generally defaults to Adapter Default, or 60Hz depending on the adapter, and if the drivers are installed correctly. Pull that list down, and if you see a list of numbers, click on one of them (at least 75Hz, but higher if your monitor can handle it). Then just Apply or OK your way back out, and you should be good to go. If the screen goes funky and unreadable, just wait about 20 seconds, and it should revert back. If that happens, that means the monitor can't handle the refresh you set coupled with the resolution you're running. Try a lower refresh and see if that works.

DarkWolf
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok man i changed it to 75 but it didnt change much and it is still a little fuzzy!! Im starting to think that it is something on in my house that is making it fuzzy, like when i turn the tv off it gets better?? Should i go higher then 75 or lower to like 60??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok i figured it out I think, i had it set on 75 and all of a sudden it got worse so i luckily could see and went and adjusted it to 72 and now it is still blurry but readable and if i go lower then 72 or higher it gets worse!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:25 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

What kind of monitor is it? And how old?

It could be interference from another source (could be as obvious as the TV, or speakers ... or could be as elusive as a slightly frayed wire in the wall next to the monitor). Only way to check that is to move the monitor, and see if it gets any better.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Bite Me!!!

is the electrical plug you have the monitor plugged into on the same circuit as any other major appliances... are you useing a good surge protector... you may try plugin the monitor into a different circuit in your house or apt.... what I mean by that if you don't know is when you look at your breaker box... find a switch that is only one room or lighting and find a plug that matches to that...

you should get a good test out of that...

Also when you changed the refresh rate.... set it to optimal and let the video card figure out the best rate..

if you change your screen resolution does it change..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement