DFW Mustang Forums banner

Gettin back into Exercising??

260 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Big A 
#1 ·
Well, for the past 2 1/2 years of my relationship i have become lazy. Im 5'7 and about 230. Trying to get back into shape. no more Fastaco, bell, or burgers. :(

I have always been a lil overweight and am not expecting anything great but what are some good startup steps in the gym. like to lose 40 lbs. :eek:

Cardio-Cardio?? How often?

I cant do morning workouts due to my job. Any help on this? Thanks.

#2 ·
onjacks said:
Well, for the past 2 1/2 years of my relationship i have become lazy. Im 5'7 and about 230. Trying to get back into shape. no more Fastaco, bell, or burgers. :(

I have always been a lil overweight and am not expecting anything great but what are some good startup steps in the gym. like to lose 40 lbs. :eek:

Cardio-Cardio?? How often?

I cant do morning workouts due to my job. Any help on this? Thanks.
This is what worked for me. It may not be for you.

I am 5'8" and I used to be up over 220lbs. I went on vacation to Europe and because of all of the walking and crappy food, I came back weighing 207lbs. That made me realize that I could actually do something about my weight without really trying all that hard. I needed an easy way because I was really lazy and probably a bit depressed.

I started slow by riding a bicycle for 15 miles or so for 3 days a week and walking my dog a couple of miles every day. A month or so later, I bumped it up a notch by jogging a little every other day until I was able to run 2 to 3 miles at a clip up and down hills. A few weeks after that, I started playing soccer on a team once a week while still jogging and working on sprints. Before I knew it, I was down to 177lbs. The real kicker is that my diet didn't really change all that much.

I got into martial arts and now I train about 4 times a week and I also do a couple of timed crossfit workouts a week. Today I did three sets of the following: 400m run, 21 30lb kettle ball swings, 12 pull ups. I finished the workout in just under 16 minutes which isn't stellar but . Right after that, I grappled for half an hour. If it wasn't for the martial arts stuff, I would back up over 200lbs because all of the other stuff I used to do bores me now.

I am back up to 185lbs which is ok since I am married now but I still eat what I want when I want :)

#3 ·
Exercise is great, and will help, but your main focus should be on diet. As you said, cut all fast food, junk food, simple sugar, cokes, alcohol, etc. If it looks unhealthy, it probably is. Just by doing that the weight will melt away.

#4 ·
It all depends on what you want.
it sounds like you want to just drop pounds and not gain muscle.
then stick to cardio and I would definitely hit the weights for toning
but when your doing your cardio running is good but you have to be in your
optimum heart range and you can look that up. there is a site bodybuilding.com
that is great. but anyway the reason why when your doing cardio and to be in your heart range is because if your over you'll start burning your muscle which im sure you don't want to do. so thats just a little tip.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. Ya i dont really want to gain muscle mass until i lose some weight. I have always had a big chest and arms, and everytime i go to lose weight it seems that i just turn it into muscle.

I enjoy having a neck and would like to keep it that way. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.