DFW Mustang Forums banner

NHL All Star game

565 views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  SVTVenom 
#1 ·
anyone have an idea how to get tickets?

#28 ·
LannyN9NE said:
Again you do not read. I said I was going off of memory and you got me on that one. Are you that dense? You have been right on one thing, congrats.
I've watched every one for like the past 9 years so I think I'd know when they were held.

Gotta love the "Well, I was only going off of my memory" excuse. :rolleyes:

It took a whopping 10 seconds to look that up. Maybe next time you decide to post something up and are unsure, you'll go and look it up and not look like a total tool-bag.

#29 ·
SVTVenom said:
I've watched every one for like the past 9 years so I think I'd know when they were held.

Gotta love the "Well, I was only going off of my memory" excuse. :rolleyes:

It took a whopping 10 seconds to look that up. Maybe next time you decide to post something up and are unsure, you'll go and look it up and not look like a total tool-bag.
Or I will just post it up and if I am wrong admit up to it as I just did. Obviously I did not look it up, nor did I care to. More often that not I remember correctly, I messed up on one so you have your time to shine.

#31 ·
SVTVenom said:
So you just proved my point. For the past 18 years it has been on the weekend.

The reason the mid-week is stupid is because of people having to work the next day. Not having the fan activities also limits the exposure the players/league have with the fans and thats something the NHL desperately needs right now to improve fan relations.
With all due respect, if it's been on the weekend for the last 18 years, and hockey has always had an issue with attendance/ratings do you really think the NHL is risking anything by not having it on a weekend this year?

#32 · (Edited)
SVTVenom said:
Not having the fan activities also limits the exposure the players/league have with the fans and thats something the NHL desperately needs right now to improve fan relations.
There are actually 5 days of fan activities starting on the Saturday prior to the All-Star game and ending with the game itself on Wednesday.

And I'll be setting up the All-Star game festivities starting Friday morning at 8am :eek:, goddamn thats early.

#34 ·
ClockwrkOrangeS4 said:
With all due respect, if it's been on the weekend for the last 18 years, and hockey has always had an issue with attendance/ratings do you really think the NHL is risking anything by not having it on a weekend this year?
With all due respect, yes, they risked and LOST BIG TIME. :rolleyes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_y...LYF?slug=ap-all-starratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

What did I tell you morons? I said it was a mistake to have this event during the week and the TV ratings just back my point up further.

A .7 Nielson rating is fucking pathetic. Thats down over 1.3 MILLION viewers over the last All-Star game.

I'm sad to say it, but hockey in America is slowly dying and we all have Gary Bettman to thank for it.

#36 ·
LannyN9NE said:
That right there is the smartest thing I have seen on here in a long time.
Honestly, I couldn't give a shit about hockey right now and I freakin cried when Dallas lost to Edmonton in the '96-'97 playoffs. Its no longer exciting and action packed like it used to be.

#39 ·
SVTVenom said:
A .7 Nielson rating is fucking pathetic. Thats down over 1.3 MILLION viewers over the last All-Star game.
I think also the fact that the game was on Versus didnt help either. I remember reading somewhere when the NHL signed the deal with VS that there were a ton of households that didnt get that chanel with a basic cable package.

#42 ·
SVTVenom said:
With all due respect, yes, they risked and LOST BIG TIME. :rolleyes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_y...LYF?slug=ap-all-starratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

What did I tell you morons? I said it was a mistake to have this event during the week and the TV ratings just back my point up further.

I'm sad to say it, but hockey in America is slowly dying and we all have Gary Bettman to thank for it.
Come on now. Nielson ratings for an event on shown on the Versus Channel? What does that prove? I hate to break it to you but hockey has never been embraced by the U.S. as much as it should be. Why do you think ESPN decided to drop the NHL? Low ratings. I doubt it had anything to do with what day they decided to play the goddamned All Star game on.

#43 ·
ClockwrkOrangeS4 said:
Come on now. Nielson ratings for an event on shown on the Versus Channel? What does that prove? I hate to break it to you but hockey has never been embraced by the U.S. as much as it should be. Why do you think ESPN decided to drop the NHL? Low ratings. I doubt it had anything to do with what day they decided to play the goddamned All Star game on.
The reason ESPN dropped the NHL was the fact they had a lockout and knew there was going to be fan backlash. Why would they commit to something they knew was going to lose money?

If hockey fans really wanted to see the All-Star game/hockey on TV, they'd pay to get the channels its on.

Of course hockey hasn't been embraced in the U.S. as much as it should be because its CANADA's national past-time, not America's. American sports fans will always put a sport that they didn't invent behind baseball and football.

The facts clearly show that in comparison to the past few All-Star games, this one was a dud when it came to TV ratings.

#44 ·
SVTVenom said:
The reason ESPN dropped the NHL was the fact they had a lockout and knew there was going to be fan backlash. Why would they commit to something they knew was going to lose money?

If hockey fans really wanted to see the All-Star game/hockey on TV, they'd pay to get the channels its on.

Of course hockey hasn't been embraced in the U.S. as much as it should be because its CANADA's national past-time, not America's. American sports fans will always put a sport that they didn't invent behind baseball and football.

The facts clearly show that in comparison to the past few All-Star games, this one was a dud when it came to TV ratings.
You're right, hockey fans probably did tune in to watch this particular game. But to think that people will go out and purchase a single channel just to watch an All Star game is rediculous. It's an All Star game, it doesn't mean anything. If the game were on a major network I assure you there would have been more viewers, hell, even if it were still on ESPN I'm sure there would have been more people watching than watched it on Versus.

LOL@ facts, I know the facts. The fact is that having the game on during the week did play a part in the low ratings, but it's not the only fact you have to consider. The fact that every household that has a television in the country receives the major networks, while not everyone receives Versus.

From watching it on tv, I'd say the arena was pretty full. I guess there is still a little bit of interest even though the game was played during the week :rolleyes:

#45 ·
ClockwrkOrangeS4 said:
You're right, hockey fans probably did tune in to watch this particular game. But to think that people will go out and purchase a single channel just to watch an All Star game is rediculous. It's an All Star game, it doesn't mean anything. If the game were on a major network I assure you there would have been more viewers, hell, even if it were still on ESPN I'm sure there would have been more people watching than watched it on Versus.

LOL@ facts, I know the facts. The fact is that having the game on during the week did play a part in the low ratings, but it's not the only fact you have to consider. The fact that every household that has a television in the country receives the major networks, while not everyone receives Versus.

From watching it on tv, I'd say the arena was pretty full. I guess there is still a little bit of interest even though the game was played during the week :rolleyes:
So football fans will shell out $200 a year for NFL Season Ticket, but hockey fans won't pay a couple of extra dollars for a channel they know will carry hockey?

Every hockey fan knew going into this season that the games would not be on ESPN and would have to have OLN or other channels to watch the games for a majority of the season until NBC broadcasts kicked in.

The arena being full doesn't mean a whole lot because that is around 20,000 people and that amount of people doesn't mean dick to the NHL. TV viewers/advertising is what they are concerned with and when you lose over 1 million+ viewers, its more than it just being on a different channel that fans already knew they were going to have to have to watch the game going into this season.

Another thing to think about when it comes to this game being during the week and it being a bad idea:

Why would you attempt to go up against American Idol?

That show is a ratings juggernaut and there is no way in hell people are going to watch an All-Star game for a league that is coming off of a bitter lockout year.

This was yet another grave mistake by Garry Bettman and NHL executives. I highly doubt that the NHL will be able to maintain operating, even at its reduced salary cap, past the next 4-5 seasons.

#48 ·
SVTVenom said:
Seeing as how it was near a flat-line a year ago and them not having a major TV deal, its a sad reality.
With the league having record attendance months like it did this past Jan. I really think you are jumping the gun with that statement. There are record numbers of kids joining leagues around the country. Will it ever be comparable to the NFL or NBA? No, but the league will be ok as far as staying afloat and putting the highest quality game on the ice.

#49 ·
LannyN9NE said:
With the league having record attendance months like it did this past Jan. I really think you are jumping the gun with that statement. There are record numbers of kids joining leagues around the country. Will it ever be comparable to the NFL or NBA? No, but the league will be ok as far as staying afloat and putting the highest quality game on the ice.
Attendance is only half the battle. TV is where the money is at and they don't have a major deal with anyone worth a damn.

The NFL would be nothing without its contracts with ESPN, CBS, Fox, and NBC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.