Do you believe anyone that anyone who doesn't "believe" in religion/etc.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Do you believe anyone that anyone who doesn't "believe" in religion/etc....

To be any less of an american, or freedom supporter?

I know of many people that, if you don't believe in God/religion, then how could you support anything else, or be worthwhile for any cause.

Do you typically 'look down on/discount' on people who don't believe?

Sorry if this comes off as confusing. I'm tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

You can be worthwhile for anything just because you dont beleive in a supreme being does NOT mean that you are inept from being a good person. If your morals are in the right place and you live your life to the fullest you can, do good deeds and do nothing to denounce "god"(assuming that there is one) then you are the same as everyone else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Time Served

Touchy subject...and I think I understand what you're asking.

I believe you can be a good American and a good supporter of Freedom w/out a religious convictions. Freedom is a natural human desire. God gave us that freedom/freedom of choice. It is only human to want that. As far as being a good American, I do feel you can be a better American with a religious affiliation being that most religions encourage goodness. I do not look down on someone good American or not, christian or not. In the end...the United States may have God with us, but it is of this world and will pass away with all the other nations. So do I worry about good Americans or good Christians?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by lowthreeohz
You can be worthwhile for anything just because you dont beleive in a supreme being does NOT mean that you are inept from being a good person. If your morals are in the right place and you live your life to the fullest you can, do good deeds and do nothing to denounce "god"(assuming that there is one) then you are the same as everyone else.
This is where I would ask the question to what standard of good and worthwhile you are basing a believer or non-believer on. If it is on the human standard that the believer or non-believer dose something to appear to be good for the nation I guess it would be relative answer of "Yes". But if you are going by God's standard rules and comparing it for our nation, I would say everyone is evil and fallen short of God's standard. Only by faith are you justified rightous by God and being on God's team has the absolute truth of goodness. But even God uses the nonbeliever for his greater good.

Good answer NoBikeMike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 03:20 PM
98 SVT Cobra

NoBikeMike gave a very good answer.

Believing in a god or God does not make you any more or less American and it does not make you any more or less of a supporter of freedom. I believe that a belief in God can make you a better American and a better person overall, but to look down on someone that doesn't believe goes against what God himself would want. Jesus came for those that were lost, He did not look down on any of them.

Quote:
do good deeds and do nothing to denounce "god"(assuming that there is one) then you are the same as everyone else.
It is my belief that you are wrong my young friend.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Chick with a Dick

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

It is my belief that you are wrong my young friend.
But don't fret lowthreeohz, Duff feels the same as you - which is where I am working on him. He is a wonderful person, very little sin, walks the straight and narrow, believes in God and believes in Christ's return. HOWEVER, he also believes that all this is enough. I don't think so.

I feel you must repent for every sin and you must study God's word and I believe you should attend church regularly (for knowledge and support). I also feel we should be saved in church (we are only saved by our own words), yet we want to do it with a congregation of people we are close with - not just walk into a church and have it done.

But anyways, before I keep going off topic, I just feel we need to step it up a bit. When I don't have it in my life more often, I feel as I do now, the grip of the world's evils tightening up so much that I don't know what I believe some days. I hate when I question my lifelong faith just because I'm exhausted. Man, I really need to take a break.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by Girls can too
But don't fret lowthreeohz, Duff feels the same as you - which is where I am working on him. He is a wonderful person, very little sin, walks the straight and narrow, believes in God and believes in Christ's return. HOWEVER, he also believes that all this is enough. I don't think so.

I feel you must repent for every sin and you must study God's word and I believe you should attend church regularly (for knowledge and support). I also feel we should be saved in church (we are only saved by our own words), yet we want to do it with a congregation of people we are close with - not just walk into a church and have it done.

But anyways, before I keep going off topic, I just feel we need to step it up a bit. When I don't have it in my life more often, I feel as I do now, the grip of the world's evils tightening up so much that I don't know what I believe some days. I hate when I question my lifelong faith just because I'm exhausted. Man, I really need to take a break.
yep, to sum it all up... Recieve the Grace that God has given you from the message of the cross and you are no longer dead, but alive and changed. Yet you still live in a sinfull body, God sees you as righteous and that has to be the greatest gift ever given.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 08:40 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Thumbs up

You have a great head on your shoulders Nic. Keep your head up and keep pressing on and God will show you things you never thought possible.

My comment to lowthreeohz was not meant to slam him in any way. I just dont believe that good works alone will get you very far in this life and the next.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

My comment to lowthreeohz was not meant to slam him in any way. I just dont believe that good works alone will get you very far in this life and the next.
Yes, good works apart from Grace(Faith) will get you nowhere.

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement